For special srcrpts that allow you to not only dist-upgrade, it will also give you the abilty of updating your kernel in a painless manner :::: see this link
To give you a taste:
Important things to do and know
* Please read through this page before proceeding.
* Do the full upgrade at your own risk. This script makes it safer for newer users than it would be normally, but I can't make any promises.
* Check the kanotix forums and home page for the latest word on the safety of doing the dist-upgrade.
* The script is updated regularly with new fixes, new kernels, etc, and the Warning system is also updated when required, so it's not a bad idea to use this script fairly regularly if you want to keep your system up to date.
* This is for Kanotix users only, it uses many other scripts that kanotix comes with to make this process easier. It will do a full upgrade of all necessary components up to the latest sid stuff, including things like new XOrg , latest kde, and so on.
* Backup your root directory before beginning if you want to be safe always when doing dist-upgrades. Here's a good how-to for making rdiff-backups.
* Download the script sh file