19.03.2024, 09:43 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
chipwich
Titel: kanotix-terminalserver problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.04.2006, 18:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 28. Apr 2006

Can someone please confirm the behavior of the knoppix-terminalserver program?

I'm having a problem getting client machines to boot using PXE via the kanotix-terminalserver script.

The client which is booting, gets an address via DHCP, but then just sits waiting for the TFTP boot to occur which never happens.

I believe that there is a problem that the script runs out of space when it writes the boot files, but I'm not familiar enough with the operations of the script to debug it further. Here's what I get when I start the terminalserver script from a freshly booted kanotix-easter-rc2 liveCD:

(Note that I the only configuration I performed vie the GUI was adding the 100.ko ethernet driver, and unselecting secure and masq options.)

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ kanotix-terminalserver
Making Mini Rootdisk.
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
16777216 bytes (17 MB) copied, 0.097973 seconds, 171 MB/s
cp: cannot stat `(0xffffe000)': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `(0xffffe000)': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.16.5-kanotix-2/kernel/*/*/cloop.*o': No such file or directory
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
16777216 bytes (17 MB) copied, 9.61884 seconds, 1.7 MB/s
85.2%
Disk full

mkelf-dos is preferred in future instead of mknbi-dos
Geometry...
totSect:5760,spt:36,hd:2,bid:0,fsType:FAT12,sig:Uª,simhd:0
cyl:80,decl_size:2949120,used_size:2383872
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Starting DHCP server: dhcpd3.
Starting portmap daemon....
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.
knoppix@0[knoppix]$

It looks to me like the script runs out of space when writing a file to 85%. I've gotten terminalservers from other distributions working fine and they don't report this error. I've also verified this behavior using a few different machines to serve the boot (e.g. machines running the liveCD), and several different machines trying to boot via PXE.

Thanks for any help with this issue. Kanotix is (by far!) my favorite distribution.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: kanotix-terminalserver problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.04.2006, 22:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

Maybe you should update that package, but no it won't become functional that way either (just problem/ blame shifting).

Patches (very) welcome.

chipwich
Titel: Isolating the problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 09:34 Uhr

I haven't solved my problem, but I'm posting some new info in case anyone else is struggling with the same problem.

The kanotix-terminalserver script looks like it's straight from the knoppix-terminalserver script. I've tracked the problem down to the mketherboot() function, which seems to construct a virtual MSDOS disk (an MSDOS disk residing in the file /tmp/net-boot.img) using the mformat and mcopy commands. The script creates the virtual disk and copies the necessary files for boot via the command:

mformat -C -t 160 -s 36 -h 2 x:
mcopy /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default x:syslinux.cfg
mcopy /tftpboot/vmlinuz /tftpboot/miniroot.gz \
/usr/share/kanotix-terminalserver/templates/tftpboot/* x:

which seems to fail because the virtual MSDOS disk is tool. The sizes of the files are:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1156 May 6 03:59 /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2353317 May 6 03:59 /tftpboot/vmlinuz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2456839 May 6 03:59 /tftpboot/miniroot.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77 Aug 23 2005 /usr/share/kanotix-terminalserver/templates/tftpboot/boot.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Aug 23 2005 /usr/share/kanotix-terminalserver/templates/tftpboot/german.kbd

which is probably why it fails, because the MSDOS disk appears to be 2.3 MB from the following:

Geometry...
totSect:5760,spt:36,hd:2,bid:0,fsType:FAT12,sig:Uª,simhd:0
cyl:80,decl_size:2949120,used_size:2383872

So...

I can get the error to disappear by doubling the MSDOS disk size:

mformat -C -t 160 -s 36 -h 2 x:

unfortunately, I still can't get the client to boot via PXE. I know nothing about the PXE boot process. It looks like the server constructs a bootable disk and then exports it via TFTP. Perhaps there is a limitation on the size of the bootable size.

So, I'm well beyond my expertise here, but it looks like the options are:

1) Reduce the size of the vmlinuz and miniroot.gz images until they fit on the exported disk (unlikely)
2) Increase the size of the bootable disk (done, but without knowledge of PXE seems unlikely to work)
3) Check latest KNOPPIX to see if/how the terminalserver script works

Seems like option 3 is the only realistic chance of getting this to work.

Of course, there could be 2 separate problems: The MSDOS disk is too small and something else is preventing my system from booting via PXE, but I hope this isn't the case...

slh
Titel: Isolating the problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 14:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

Like I already said, the size issues are fixed for quite some time (if you just update kanotix-terminalserver)... But there are other issues remaining.

chipwich
Titel: Re: Isolating the problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.05.2006, 15:56 Uhr

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
Like I already said, the size issues are fixed for quite some time (if you just update kanotix-terminalserver)... But there are other issues remaining.

Sorry. I didn't initially understand what you meant about updating the package. Since the terminalserver problem has existed on the last few kanotix liveCDs, I assumed that the problem wasn't related to an old version, but rather something which hadn't yet been fixed.

So now I've tried updating the package, but it looks like the debian sources are misconfigured.

apt-get update

and

kpackage

which both work from my older kanotix hd-install and from the latest Knoppix liveCD fail on my kanotix-easter-rc2 liveCD. I reset the root password so that I can use kpackage, but it doesn't seem to go to the net to update the package list and at the end fails with an error that it is unable to write to /var/cache/apt.

I'll search for a fix for this, but I'm starting to feel like I'm unwrapping an onion and each layer takes a while to get through...

panticz
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.05.2006, 15:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005

here is a patch for the terminalserver:

http://www.kanotix.org/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18211-highlight-terminalserver.html

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.