19.03.2024, 09:15 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
master_b
Titel: Why INIT 3 before upgrading?  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 05:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Nov 2004

Ok I finally figured out how to get into the text console without KDE running.

Here's my way:-

1) Boot PC
2) from Grub, select Kanotix
3) at GUI log-in ( be it kdm, gdm, xdm or whatever) DON'T log-in -
Alt/Ctrl/F1 ( as advised in earlier posts)
4) log-in as USER
5) sux and login with root password
6) apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
7) answer "do you wish to proceed?" twice
update/upgrade takes place.

I then rebooted as I haven't figured out how to exit test console ( I tried "exit" which took me back to the user prompt, and tried "quit", "kdm", "startx" - none of which worked, hence the reboot.

The above was and update/dist-upgrade on my 2005-4 lite install on my Benq laptop. All took place without problems with the exception of Opera 8.52 showing some text as rows of squares in panels, save-as etc. Will update to latest stable version and see what happens.

Bill

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Why INIT 3 before upgrading?  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 05:59 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
bill,
save you some time here. when you boot up, as soon as the grubscreen appears, just hit ´3´.
that will boot the machine into initlevel 3. logon as root, do what you want to do. when finished, enter init 5 and there you are at login.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 06:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005

2radical hat folgendes geschrieben::

I'm not advocating anything

My comment was not directed at you, I just took your post for inspiration. If you took umbrage you have my apologies.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 06:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
also bill, instead of the second reboot

/etc/rc5/S99kdm start

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 08:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Zitat:
Now, what is the application that fails if you upgrade in init 5, again?

Several examples are mentioned already - the most recent would have been X. If you search this Forum you will find several posts from desperated people who have run into problems because of upgrading a running X. Kanotix is Debian Sid, and I already tried to explain that this is entirely different from running Debian Stable (Your link leads to the official manual for Debian Stable). The reason is simple: Sid is not a "ready to ship" release. So please stay away from advising exactly the opposite of what the Kanotix developer crew strongly recomends.
Your examples are not better - upgrading a running KDE can damage your KDE configuration in a Sid. I personally don't know if it is save to upgrade synaptic from inside itself (and doing it several times is definitely no proof for that). However, I would never do it because I don't like to risk a broken packaging system.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
Cuddles
Titel: Re: Why INIT 3 before upgrading?  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 17:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jul 2004
master_b hat folgendes geschrieben::
1 ) Boot PC
2 ) from Grub, select Kanotix
3 ) at GUI log-in ( be it kdm, gdm, xdm or whatever) DON'T log-in -
Alt/Ctrl/F1 ( as advised in earlier posts)
4 ) log-in as USER
5 ) sux and login with root password
6 ) apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
7 ) answer "do you wish to proceed?" twice
update/upgrade takes place.
8 ) I then rebooted as I haven't figured out how to exit test console ( I tried "exit" which took me back to the user prompt, and tried "quit", "kdm", "startx" - none of which worked, hence the reboot.

master_b,

Here are the steps you can find on the #kanotix irc... This is how "I" do them:
Code:
1 ) CTRL + ALT + F1 ( even if you are logged in to any Window Manager, like KDE, etc... )
2 ) login as root, and enter password
3 ) enter "init 3" ( without the quotes, of course ) - this will stop KDE, X, GNome, etc...
4 ) run "apt-get update"
5 ) run "apt-get dist-upgrade" ( examine what is being upgraded, removed, newly installed - this information will determine if you proceed, abort out, and what you might need to run AFTER it finishes, if it succeeds )
6 ) run "fix-fonts"
7 ) If Xorg was updated, then run ATI or NVidia Video Driver scripts for updating
8 ) this is an extra process, since I use NVidia and it automatically starts KDE after the Video Driver Installation:
8a ) CTRL + ALT + F1
8b ) you should still already be logged in as root, run "init 3" to stop as in Step #3
8c ) run "fix-res" with your resolution, mine defaults to 1024x768, I prefer 1280x1024
9 ) type "init 5 && exit" - this will not only restart X, KDE, etc... but also, log out root from this session

Done...

These steps are elaborated a lot more, than what you get at irc, also, I added the fix-res steps, cause I want my screen resolution a lot more higher, but, you get the jest.

Hope this helps,

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Yahoo Messenger  
op4latino
Titel: Re: Why INIT 3 before upgrading?  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 20:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
devil28 hat folgendes geschrieben::
when you boot up, as soon as the grubscreen appears, just hit ´3´.
that will boot the machine into initlevel 3. logon as root, do what you want to do.

hmm, I never realized this: when I'm already in X and wanted to dist-upgrade, I do the Ctrl+Alt+F1, init 3, etc. but when I boot and wait for the grubscreen, I hit '2' instead of '3'. Does it make any difference or, 2 and 3 send you to the same place?

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.05.2006, 22:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Of course you can dist-upgrade the system, you should read the Kanotix homepage and watch out for warnings just in case there is a major problem we already know about. As there are often updates that replace X or KDE the usual way to do those updates is to do:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -d

within X, als -d stands for download only - you can work with X while doing so, then you enter pure text mode, using the kdm option or just

init 3

then you perform the real update

apt-get dist-upgrade

and at last you run

init 5

When you see that X was replaced and you are using nvidia gfx cards you do some more steps instead of init 5:

update-scripts-kanotix.sh
install-nvidia-debian.sh

that will start X also. Then you are done basically.

master_b
Titel: Why INIT 3 before upgrading?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.05.2006, 04:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Nov 2004

Thanks devil28, jackiebrown, cuddles and Kano

As usual with linux there are many ways to skin a cat :)

I really only posted my method to perhaps help others readin this thread as a comment like "enter init3" doesn't really help newbies without a step-by-step guide, nor does "update as root" as a newbie may log-in as root rather than via sux.

I know that if one searches enough the required info can usually be found but using "search" in these forums (fora) doesn't help much unless one has time to view each and every search result, most of which are not relevant to the problem.

It's good that there are so many helpful members on this site and that Kano manages to find time to post here himself.

Thanks again

Bill

craigevil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 21:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
ice hat folgendes geschrieben::
al3 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hey newbies! (Yeah, I mean YOU!). Are you using Kanotix for your every-day work as I do as well as my very expensive wife does? If so, LISTEN UP!

When you get a stable version of Kanotix from Kano, it is just THAT.... stable. It's stable as HELL! Solid. Kano is a great software engineer and he turns out production-quality distribution. It's part of his reputation (along with being able to drink a lot of beer!)

If your Kanotix works well, DO NOT UPGRADE OR DIST-UPGRADE at all... unless there is some major security issue or some must-have new feature for some package you use often (such as FireFox or OO2)... and in that case just upgrade the individual package (set).

People think that they are going to squeeze out one extra machine cycle and that they WILL NOTICE IT. Well most often it doesn't happen... and in some cases "fixing" one thing breaks another.

Don't get suckered into the "gotta be on the bleeding edge" mentality that often occurs in the Linux community. Let Kano, Slam, Miz, Jackie, Piper, Cuddles, Etorix, Chris, and a bunch of others be the "first in the water" with upgrades and if you just 'gotta' upgrade (it's a sickness... there should be a 12 step program for it!) wait until these good folks give their blessing. Just don't go off willy-nilly and start doing (dist) upgrades because you want to be 'cool.' One day you are going to do so and just end up being 'stupid.' Trust me. I've been in the software biz for 30 years now (I'm older than God) and I've been 'stupid', I know what I'm talking about when it comes to being new in Linux.

If it works... let it work... don't %$#@ with it.

Al

This should go in the wiki.

I tend to agree, unless you know how to fix the problems a dist-upgrade can and will do running Sid don't do it.

I have only been running Kanotix/Debian for 2 years, but I have had few problems. I tend to update a few packages at a time using Synaptic or apt-get if I know what I want to update. Like right now I still have 105 packages that aren't updated. Most of those have BUGS.

The best way to save your self from headaches is to use apt-listbugs.

The Kanotix-Update-GUI is a great way to keep updated with Kanotix and to update your kernel.

BTW I am running Kanotix on 2 systems my laptop and in XP via Vmplayer. It runs great on both. Keep up the great work.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.