28.04.2024, 03:30 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
w1av
Titel: Dist-Upgrade help w/Easter RC3  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 18:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Okt 2005
I have The Easter edition rc3 installed on all 3 of my computers. I have done dist-upgrades on all 3 machines 2 times since installing RC3. No problems till the other day. I did a dist-upgrade on my spare/testing machine and when I re booted the Kanotix installation was trashed badly to a non-booting status. I saw a few errors on bootup. One was a swap file error, and a few others that scrolled by too fast. When it gets to the point of starting X, thats where it hangs.....then an error comes on saying "there are no more processes in this run level".
So I let computer sit for a few days. I re installed the Easter RC edition again 2 times last night just to test it out. I got the same exact errors which led to non booting system. I finally installed 1 last time but did not do a dist-upgrade. does anyone know what may have caused this? I have Easter Edition RC3 on all my computers and have done dist-upgrades at least 2 times since installing RC3 back in April with no problems.
My last desperate measure was to download RC4 and run that, because it should be more up to date than RC3.
I did download & run the ISO but the CD will not boot. I made sure I burned CD as "DAO". When I start with CD I get error in RED
TEXT
saying it cannot find the filesystem.....and dropping me to a (limited) shell.......I never have problems buring the .ISO's so I am wondering if this may be a fluke.
I did notice the download from Kanotix site is very slow, about 75kbps. Normally my speed is around 380kbps. The md5 checksum was OK.....any help on these 2 issues will be aqppreciated!!!!! Traurig

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: Dist-Upgrade help w/Easter RC3  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 22:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

My guess is that you may not have done the multicd fix, which generates dpkg errors, which in turn stop dist-upgrade completely. If you try to reboot at that point, my guess is that your system would be seriously destroyed.

If you can still boot into init 3, do dist-upgrade again, but first do the fix:
http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18435.html

This is just a guess, I'll try my easter install and let you know in an hour or so.

w1av
Titel: trashed again!  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 23:29 Uhr

OK H2.....I didnt know anything about the multicd fix at all. When I did the dist-upgrade it didnt stop, it kept going along till right at the end was some error though. Here's what I got from the link from your post as a fix:

apt-get -f install
apt-get remove --purge dpkg-multicd
apt-get install dpkg-multicd

Then after I do this, I will do a :
apt-get dist-upgrade

I will try this later tonight.......and see what happens!

h2
Titel: RE: trashed again!  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 23:41 Uhr

yes, what happens is that when dpkg generates a serious error, the dist-upgrade stops there.

I think that's the cause of a lot of users who get totally broken systems here.

I generally run dist-upgrade again right after doing one, you can see if this happened because it will say x number of packages to install, and so on, instead of just 0 0 0.

I thought I had easter installed but I don't, I tried doing a cebit upgrade and it worked fine though, xorg 7.0.14 to 7.0.20

Also, if you had a pre 7.0 xorg you have to do other fixes, but I think your stuff was already past that problem point, not positive about that.

titan
Titel: Re: RE: trashed again!  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.06.2006, 16:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
yes, what happens is that when dpkg generates a serious error, the dist-upgrade stops there.

The bit that is concerning is that there is no error message to say that the upgrade has stopped. Purely by luck I deceided to purge and reinstall dpkg-multicd and then saw the rest of the upgrade continue, There was no indication of any broken packages. I think I might well have borked my system if I had shutdown before sorting it.

Ian

craigevil
Titel: RE: Re: RE: trashed again!  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.06.2006, 21:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Sounds more like the udev problem.

I trashed my laptop just the other day by updating udev and I received the same errors.

there are no more processes in this run level" it listed that for Each run level 1-5. Luckily I was able to chroot using the Livecd and downgrade udev. Which is now pinned Smilie.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
w1av
Titel: dist upgrade woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.06.2006, 22:29 Uhr

Well I have re installed for the 4th time and decided it is not worth the bother to do any upgrades. My Easter RC3 runs fine the way it is....everything works. I may try to try again downloading the ISO for easter edition RC4. I had trouble the other day trying to boot from the cd. But anyway, I will just keep what I have on here now cause its working fine. This is why I usually dont bother with dist-upgrades...I will upgrade when a new Kanotix version is released. I have done this so many times that re installing is nothing. The customizing takes a little bit but its getting to the point where I can do it blindfolded!

Here is whats currently going on:

bob@linuxbox:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS "linuxbox" running Linux 2.6.16.5-kanotix-2 i686 [ KANOTIX 2006 Easter ]
CPU Info Pentium III (Coppermine) 256 KB cache flags( - ) clocked at [ 1000.178 MHz ]
Videocard nVidia NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] X.Org 7.0.0 [ 1152x864 @60hz ]
Network cards D-Link System DL10050 Sundance Ethernet, at port: e800
Processes 81 | Uptime 1:08 | Memory 472.527/1264.12MB | HDD MAXTOR 6L040J2 Size 40GB (7%used) | Client Shell | Infobash v2.50rc10

ok see ya!

h2
Titel: RE: dist upgrade woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.06.2006, 23:19 Uhr

Zitat:
The bit that is concerning is that there is no error message to say that the upgrade has stopped.

It stops with an error message, like: dpkg has encountered errors.

Although it doesn't tell you more, that tells you that du got stopped.

I think most failures are due to this problem, or not doing one of the fixes required.

http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18585.html

that thread has more on this.

I just tested my upgrade script mentioned in that thread and it worked fine, it's got all the fixes in it that should be required, along with some information for users about distupgrade issues, and preprogrammed solutions.

The key is to always choose 'n' for configuration file changes except for fonts.conf, or to click enter / ok to keep your existing stuff.

Once you get the basics of this distupgrading really isn't that serious, although I do backups on my main install just in case, as noted. Then restoring really is fairly trivial.

h2
Titel: RE: dist upgrade woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.06.2006, 23:26 Uhr

Zitat:
I did download & run the ISO but the CD will not boot. I made sure I burned CD as "DAO". When I start with CD I get error in RED
TEXT saying it cannot find the filesystem.....and dropping me to a (limited) shell.......I never have problems buring the .ISO's so I am wondering if this may be a fluke.

It's a bad burn, that would have nothing to do with the other issues here.

titan
Titel: Re: RE: dist upgrade woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.06.2006, 14:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Zitat:
The bit that is concerning is that there is no error message to say that the upgrade has stopped.

It stops with an error message, like: dpkg has encountered errors.

Although it doesn't tell you more, that tells you that du got stopped.

I.

I have been dis-upgrading most days for 18 months ( running two versions on separate HDs with most of my data on a separate /data partition) and not seen this error before. It looked to me like occasions that have happened several times before where the DU is completed but there is a broken package It was confusing as looking (later) after the initial failed DU dpkg multicd was shown ( in synaptic) as an application available for upgrade and not broken, that was when I purged it and saw the DU complete. Hopefully I will recognise the problem next time. Second version DU went fine after I knew what the problem was. Incidently I only DU in init 3 but I like synaptic for all the extra info like dependancies etc.

Ian

Ian

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: dist upgrade woes  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.06.2006, 19:28 Uhr

Zitat:
Hopefully I will recognise the problem next time

Exactly, I think the key to having fairly successful dist-upgrades is to pay attention to the forums, the start page, always double check before doing one. Do backups just in case, good to do anyway so that's not a negative.

And then, during the du, to pay attention to everything that it says, from start to beginning, especially package removal and closing error messages.

debian unstable cannot be criticized for being unstable, LOL... if you decide it's what you want, you have to work within its parameters. Kano and his team do a very good job making fixes available quickly, keeping up with kernel, and everything else that is hard for average users to do. So far it's looking very good, I'm past the 6 month mark and have no plans to reinstall anytime in the next few years, although at some point I'll have to move off sid to testing or stable unless I want to spend all my time keeping up on the latest sid excitements.

I did a bunch of du's yesterday to test my script and to get all my machines upto date, and had no issues. Sometimes it gets a little sticky, but that's usually caused by opera putting things where they don't belong. I think I'm going to dump the opera deb stuff and use tar stuff if they offer it, their debian packeger, to put it simply, sucks.

I think daily upgrades are overkill for most users, and since they require constant attention to all the news channels in terms of avoiding issues, they are not really worth it. Weekly seems more practical to me.

However, I've done now dist-upgrades in many forms on many machines, and as long as it's not older than 2005-4, it really doesn't seem to matter that much how often I do it, it's worked every time as long as I keep track of and apply the proper fixes [ergo: my update script]

w1av
Titel: dist-upgrade woes II  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.06.2006, 16:34 Uhr

Thanks for info h2. I am still confused about what fixes to use in order to dist-upgrade the Easter RC3 version I am now using. Actually its working really nice the way it is. I am wondering if I should attempt another dist-upgrade but do the fix first. As I recall when I did do dist-upgrade I did answer NO for those questions it asked about if you want to keep current settings on such & such.....I am just unclear on what actually caused the problem, like when I re booted it hung right where X is supposed to start. Not to mention those RED errors scrolling by. Something about swap error and no hdd detected????? My first thing to do is to download RC4 and install that. I did try last week but I had trouble with the .iso. My download speed has been VERY SLOW (75kbps) when downloading the .iso's. Normally I get around 385kbps. That may have contributed to the bad iso.
Anyway which fix should I do? I am confused from some posts I have read. If I download & install RC4 easter, would I then not have to worry about all this cause that ISO is most current? Geschockt Geschockt Geschockt

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.