04.05.2024, 01:09 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Humboldt
Titel: Photo editing difficult in Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.05.2006, 12:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
I use win XP for all my photo editing needs. Sadly Linux can´t be used for photo editing if you want full color management. There is no support what I know of for monitor callibration etc in Linux, and no support for icc. This is not a Linux problem, and has nothing to do with WinXP magics, but has to do with the fact that most hardwarevendors do not support Linux. However, true professional photo editing software does not exist either for the Linux plattform.

cheers

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
BklynBoy
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 14:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Feb 2005
My Harmony Remote Control can only be programmed via Windows, actually via Internet Explorer.

KStorm
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.06.2006, 23:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Mai 2006

Debian Etch (netinstall). It boots up with Gnome now.

JimC
Titel: Re: Photo editing difficult in Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.06.2006, 15:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

Humboldt hat folgendes geschrieben::
I use win XP for all my photo editing needs. Sadly Linux can´t be used for photo editing if you want full color management. There is no support what I know of for monitor callibration etc in Linux, and no support for icc.

Krita appears to be heading in the right direction with support for ICC Profiles now , thanks to color management via Little CMS. It looks like they're adding features to it slowly, with some changes made in the version that shipped with KOffice 1.5.
Perhaps it will continue to evolve and mature.

But, no monitor calibration hardware works with Linux yet that I'm aware of.

That's not a big deal to me (although some photographers will insist on a color managed workflow).

I think Linux is probably "good enough" for my limited needs to switch to. I can get Eric Hyman's Bibble to browse folders containing raw files, and use it for raw conversion, noise reduction, etc.

I've also found that a number of Windows products (for example, the FastStone Image Viewer) will run OK under Wine.

The biggest thing that's keeping me from switching to Linux is font readability.

No matter what I try, I can't get the fonts to render anywhere near as nice as they do in Windows XP with Firerfox. So, the longest I've ever ran Linux on the desktop is for around 3 or 4 days before switching back to XP. That was with one of the Release Candidates for Kanotix 2004, where I spend a lot of time tweaking fonts (but, I never did get it looking as good as XP on some of the sites I spend a lot of time on like dpreview.com).

I've installed a number of newer versions since then, and spent a lot of time tweaking fonts. I can get it better, but still nowhere near as good as XP, even when using MS Truetype fonts. It's the rendering versus the fonts themselves.

My wife is running Linux (I installed simplymepis on her laptop), and she doesn't seem to mind the font rendering. It drives me nuts trying to use Linux for long.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.06.2006, 15:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Zitat:
No matter what I try, I can't get the fonts to render anywhere near as nice as they do in Windows XP with Firerfox

Mu experience is exactly the opposite. I can't believe how well the fonts render in Firefox/Linux compared with Windows XP! I could never go back to XP! I have a Matrox 550 video card which uses the mga driver and the fonts are 'perfect'.

I have only used Windows on a few occasions over the past 5 months. Mainly for photo stitching - which I can do more quickly in XP (using PTGui front end to panotools - PTGui runs under WINE, but very slowly - hugin has limited features compared with PTGui). I don't like the dual window interface of the GIMP but I can do all I need to with it. I've never used the (very expensive) Photshop, but used to use Paintshop Pro v7 - I do prefer this over the the GIMP.

I have found that my printer (Epson 1290) matches my monitor almost perfectly in Linux. The Linux drivers are excellent. I have always struggled to get a 'perfect' match in XP using the Epson drivers.

drb

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.06.2006, 16:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

That's good to know., Maybe it's my video card. Mine is an Nvidia FX5200.

I've tried the Nvidia drivers, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I've tried more than one monitor with it, too.

So, maybe I need to try a different video card.

Most sites render fine. But, some don't (for example, the forums at http://dpreview.com , where I spend a lot of time.

The font size I use with Windows XP is too hard to read, and if I increase the font size, it messes up the pages It does the same thing under XP (messes up the pages if you true to increase font size). But, the readability is much better at equivalent font sizes under XP. So, it's a catch 22 situation (can't read smaller fonts, can't increae the size without messing up page formatting). lol

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.06.2006, 17:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Your website address looks fine at 1024x768 and 72dpi.

I purposely went for the Matrox card for 2D performance.

Next time I boot Windows, I'll compare.

drb

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.06.2006, 19:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
I am sorry to contradict the overall trend, but I use what works best with my hardware. Kanotix has been wonderful with my old computer, but with my new one I am having quite a few issues. However I haven't had enough time to experiment properly, also because at the moment I am on dial-up.

nemesis
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.06.2006, 21:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Mai 2005
Hellix...definately....(more info here... http://humorix.org/articles/2000/05/hellix/ )

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.