28.03.2024, 11:02 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
h2
Titel: opera deb package again breaking apt-get dist-upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.06.2006, 22:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Same old story, the opera debian package maintainer at opera.com needs to get his butt in gear.

opera has a package that conflicts with part of the xorg upgrade/install, again, as usual, same old solution:

stop dist-upgrade, well, it will have stopped by itself because of the dpkg error. If you have opera installed through apt, and your dist-upgrade stops, do not force it!. Do not use install -f, it's not necessary.

Simply do the following:

1. Swear at the opera deb package maintainer
2. curse opera for pretending to support debian
3. apt-get remove --purge opera

Then run:
apt-get dist-upgrade
again, and everything should proceed without a hitch.

then reinstall opera, as usual, create a symbolic link from their silly subversion folder name in /usr/lib/opera/8.54-2006....../opera to /usr/bin/opera

breaking all the links in the system without fixing them during install isn't one of the smarter things I've seen, but then again, I've never been a big opera fan.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
anticapitalista
Titel: RE: opera deb package again breaking apt-get dist-upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.06.2006, 23:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
Don't install the debian sid one but the static one.

h2
Titel: RE: opera deb package again breaking apt-get dist-upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 01:55 Uhr

yes, the thought has crossed my mind, but it's also nice to see where stuff fails so you know, it's not a big deal, fixing this one doesn't take much, and who knows, maybe one day, the opera debian packager will come across mention of how badly he's doing his job and fix it.

etorix
Titel: RE: opera deb package again breaking apt-get dist-upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 05:01 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 23. Dez 2003

so tell him , in detail

Code:

opera-static (8.54-20060330.1) stable; urgency=low

* http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/

-- Christian Westgaard <packager@opera.com>  Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:33:12 +0200

in fact, lets all tell him and opera

Code:

Please visit our Web site before you send us e-mail. We provide many services to our users that will help us respond to you faster than if we receive e-mail.

Web site:
<http://www.opera.com/>

Contact us:
<http://www.opera.com/contact/>

hifi25nl
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 09:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Jun 2005

All problems can be solved with opera 9 beta2. Very stable also.

Piero

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 18:33 Uhr

the problem is with the opera debian packager, not opera itself. Opera is fine, it runs, it doesn't crash. The problem is that the packager is not putting stuff in the right place, and not following standard procedures, and thus is breaking apt during dist-upgrades.

While normally I would follow etorix's advice, in this case, that violates my long standing philosophy of never volunteering any unpaid time or energy to help for profit software companies debug their stuff, even in a case like this, where doing so would help people. But help them what? Have a better experience with commercial non-free software on a free system?

Just posted this to let opera deb package users know that once again opera will break dist-upgrade, and what steps to take in that case, that's the only point.

If the opera deb maintainer ever chooses to actually test his stuff on debian, a real, live, testing install, doing dist-upgrades etc, such as say kanotix, hopefully at some point he'll realize that he's breaking it with every new release.

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 19:08 Uhr

Yes, h2 is right. the problem is if you use the debain .deb.
If you download the other static .deb from the opera site, it doesn't break apt-get.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 19:15 Uhr

anticapitalista, this is the opera deb:

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera sid non-free

that's the one I'm using, and it's the one that's breaking apt.

At this point, I'm not concerned with my own stuff, I"m more concerned that kanotix users running opera from that source deb will have this issue, then do something rash or extreme that may end up breaking other things, rather than realize that it's the opera package causing the issues. So I'll keep testing the stuff since it's not a big problem to fix overall, but it's good to know when it does break apt.

Anyway, at some point the maintainer will have to start actually using a debian sid distro, such as, hint hint, kanotix, doing dist-upgrades, and noticing that his package is breaking apt.

It's erratic, I dist-upgraded my main box last week and it didn't break with opera, the week before it did, and yesterday it did, on several installs. It all depends I think on the xorg stuff, that's where it breaks I think, though I don't save my output. Saving my output would be a good idea in general, but to do so in this case just to help out opera would violate my idea of not using any energy to help commercial software people debug their problems.

Of course, the deb maintainer could take the classic norwegian/swedish approach to the problem and blame all of apt and xorg for the problem, LOL...

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 22:30 Uhr

This is the one I'm talking about, from the opera site.
http://www.opera.com/download/?platform=linux
From the drop down menu choose other/static deb. (for 8.54 or 9 beta)

Yes you're right that the developer needs to fix the problem. The Debian opera breaks apt-get. (well not really breaks, "blocks" it only when xorg is being upgraded) in both Kanotix and Mepis.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.06.2006, 22:37 Uhr

oh, that's good to know about for others who don't want to deal with this issue every time xorg updates. Thanks for posting that link, that should help some people out. I actually want to see the issue when it happens, since it's sort of revealing, and is good to keep track of in general. And reminds me of why I don't like opera, yet another reason, as if I needed more. Although to opera's credit, opera 8 linux is pretty good, a nice application as they go.

My guess is that the standard deb, not the static one, will break, well, halt, as you note, dist-upgrades with xorg stuff on any sid based distro, not sure about [k]ubuntu.

Given how easy it is to fix this it's kind of sad to see it linger this long, it's not like it's hard to create the trigger situation to show the error.

I especially like the folder version naming thing that doesn't update the /usr/bin/opera symbolic link automatically to the new path, and fails to create any actually useable path at all until you do it manually. Doing this actually involved a decision to do it wrong, since it used to be done more corectly, not perfect, but at least when you apt-get installed opera you could expect it to run when you asked for it, in other words, there would be a symbolic link in the right places, unlike now.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.