18.04.2024, 16:12 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
aYie28
Titel: Move /home/user folder to somewhere else  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 03:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Jun 2006

Can i move /home/user to somewhere else, like to /working ?, so that i can work in that directory......When i click Home Browser, it goes directly to /working folder

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 05:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Why do you want to do this exactly? Perhaps you need more space for your /home/<username> ? If this is the case why not just either:
A: move your /home to its own partition w/ cp -a
or
B: create a dir in ~ and work in there instead?
It's best to keep user to his/her own directory. It isn't necessary to add a directory to the / filesystem.

For example all software that I compile lives in its own partition (/dev/sda5) mounted by /etc/fstab with a mount point of
Code:
/home/<username>/Apps

What exactly is Home Browser anyway? Konqueror?

Maybe you could explain further your situation and what you wish to accomplish?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
aYie28
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 06:02 Uhr

Yeah, it's true, i need more space for my home folder, so, /working i mean is one of my Harddisk partision that was mounted to /working...so, can U explain how to to that ?

yes, browser i mean was Konqueror Sehr glücklich

aYie28
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 06:13 Uhr

What i mean is, i want to use Option a, can you explain me more detail how to do : A: move your /home to its own partition w/ cp -a
Thanks...

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 07:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Assuming that your new partition is hdb1 and it is formatted with reiserfs, then, log in as root and,

mv /home /bkp (this moves your current home directory to /bkp)
mkdir /home (to create a new, empty /home)
mount -t reiserfs /dev/hdb1 /home
cp -a /bkp/* /home (this copies the contents of /bkp to the partition in /home)

Edit your /etc/fstab file by adding the line:

/dev/hdb1 /home reiserfs defaults 0 0

Now log in as user.

Another way is to mount your new partition in your current home:

Assuming your user name is aYie28, create a new directory in your home, thus (as user)

mkdir ~/work

Then edit /etc/fstab (as root) to include:

/dev/hdb1 /home/aYie28/work reiserfs defaults 0 0

then,

mount /home/aYie28/work

viola!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
aYie28
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 09:09 Uhr

Yeah, It's work just find...Thanks so much... Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.