28.03.2024, 10:30 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
arawn
Titel: silicon image 0680 ide controller won't go away  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 06:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jun 2006

Hi Folks-

I realize the only thing this has to do with kanotix is that it's happening to my main squeeze computer, a partially updated kanotix 2005-4 installation. But I am getting no help from the email support at Silicon Image, and I really need my computer back. Please bear with me.

The box is a 5 year old Dell Optiplex GX-110, 256 mb RAM, dualboot with W98. The hardware is a pair of Western Digital HD's, a 10 and a 120 gig. The rest of the hardware is stock out of the box except that the primary controller started acting a little funny several months ago so I bought a cheap ide controller, the sil680-RAID/ IDE. It worked fine as a non- RAID ctrller except for having to hit f1 to get past the raid setup at every boot. I dloaded and ran the program that was supposed to lock it into plain non-RAID ide mode but aborted the process because I couldn't find the required chipset info so just kept using it unconfigured.

Last week it started hanging with a new boot prompt insisting I hit f-3 to enter the raid setup. It would boot if I removed the cmos battery, but only once then it would hang again at the f-3 prompt. The computer BIOS setup sometimes displayed garbage characters in place of the boot drive designation, sometimes said I had a drive named '3'- it changed most times I looked at it. So I bought an Adaptec controller and installed it but the computer doesn't see it- the bootup scroll still says SiI 0680 raid controller. Then I flashed the machine's BIOS (it needed it anyway) and it STILL boots showing the SiI RAID ctrller, and hanging at the f3 prompt with the corrupted entries in the BIOS.

How can I get rid of that stinking SiI stuff and own my comptuer again? This thing is clearly more sophisticated than I am. I give.

Hopeful regards-

Arawn

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
schnorrer
Titel: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 12:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

Remove the SIL-RaidController and try another boot. If all went OK, you have to flash the SIL-Controller.
After Flashing the SIL try booting one more time with only CD.

Doesn't boot or is hanging replace the SIL with a Promise -Kontroller.

If it is hannging agian, replace the CMOS-Battery by a new one.

Sometimes Specially DELL is a Kandidate with hanging Linux-support.

arawn
Titel: RE: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 14:31 Uhr

Hi schnorrer- thx for your quick reply.

I have removed the SiI controller and booted only with floppy to flash the computer BIOS then rebooted. Then I put a new (Adaptec) controller in and rebooted. Both times it came up displaying SiI raid controller.

The program to flash the SiI controller bios asks what the chipset is and I can't find that. It gives a list of cards to choose from and the 0680 is not on the list.

I will change the cmos battery. Is Promise a brand of controller? I haven't seen it before. I hope Adaptec will work; it cost me $60!

It looks like I accidentally posted in the German Graphik etc corner, eh? I apologize! I was trying to post in the English Hardware section next to the Crumpets and Barbeque.

Regards-

arawn

schnorrer
Titel: RE: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 17:48 Uhr

Yes Promise is a Brand and Manufakturer for such controllers. SIL is only producing controllerchips.

The other thing what I meant, is remove the controller and try the boot, than, when that works, re-install the controller.

Bios for controllers came only from the manufaktorer. So you should know, the name (Brand) who produces this.

Adaptec Promise have their own Site, with excellent support.

It does't matter where you post geman/english, but you have postet your problem in the right sub-section.

arawn
Titel: RE: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 14:35 Uhr

Ok, tried booting to floppy with with no controller and no cmos battery, it worked fine: no SiI on post test display. Put Adaptec controller in with just cdrom0 and cdrom1 (no hda or hdb), BIOS set for 'integrated ide = disabled' and '1st boot device = cdrom'. Post test says "SiI 0680 ata/133 controller", "press f-3 to enter config utility" "drive0: cd drive1: plextor cdr f1 to continue f2 to run setup". I hit f1 it says 'loading stage 1.5' then 'grub loading... error 21' and hangs.

I understand error 21 means 'device not present', but the cd is boot device, the bios sees it and the knoppix cd is in it.

I guess my next step is to try putting the cdrom on the mobo secondary controller and have no controller card. But that's tonight; I have to go to work!

Thanks for the support-

arawn

schnorrer
Titel: RE: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 17:47 Uhr

OK, so far. Some of the Raid-Controllers wouldn't work with connected CD/DVD-Roms. Though it's a REAL Raid-Controller.

Hope I'm right, you have SCSI-CD-Roms attached to the Adaptec, 2 HD's attached to the SIL-RAID! and no other HD.

With this configuration you can't install nor boot. No working RAID-System nor 1 Bootable HD.

If you have P-IDE-HD's, attach them to the internal IDE-Controller.
If not, only S-ATA-HD's, go to the bios and dissable all S-ATA-Raid properties. Boot with 1 attached S-ATA Hd Press F3 from th SIL-Menu and remove dissable all RAID properties. One more Reboot but this time go to the Adaptec Bios. and config this for supporting CD-Boot.

and Please post what kind of drives and controlers you have and how they are attached.

I.E. ide-cdrom at sil, scsi-cd at adaptec, 2 hds at sil

Than I could help you a bit better.

arawn
Titel: RE: silicon image 0680 ide controller won  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 14:28 Uhr

this is frustrating, isn't it? But thanks, schnorrer, you've been great. I'll try that tonight after work and post the results.

I bought the SiI originally because I *thought* the integrated primary controller was going bad; the secondary was/ is working ok. Maybe I should try the integrated primary again and see if it works.

Anyway, tonight I'll do it right and post the hardware I have and also the menu I see when I hit f-3 to enter the raid setup. It doesn't have any option to disable raid properties.

Thx-

arawn

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.