20.04.2024, 04:21 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
aking469
Titel: A Little Knowledge in the Hands of a Fool  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 14:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

Yesterday, I took my laptop to the library to hook onto their wireless network to download some ISOs, just to try. Attempted to use Bittorent. Changed some settings while there. Got brave. Got buggered. System wouldn't boot upon return home. It had decided it didn't have a harddrive any more.

Reinstall. I'm getting good at this. I tried installing Ubuntu 5.10 between Kanotix installs. What a joke. How hard is that system to use? I couldn't get it to let me install packages from CDs that I've created with my favorites on it. I use dial up, my dialer is on the CD, but Ubuntu wouldn't let me use the CD as a repository. Even clicking on the file didn't work. Needless to say....after a couple of hours attempting to relearn "my bad words" I was back to Kanotix. Why can't other distros let users work the way this one does?

I like the fact that the distro helps with the needs of the user but doesn't truly restrict access or ,unfortunately for me at times, stupidity. Please, let me make my mistakes, I only learn that way. I've even tried Knoppix...it isn't as good...to me.

I also couldn't get Synaptic to install in Ubuntu...I got it working in less than an hour (with dial-up) in Kanotix. Prefer Synaptic to Kpackage.

Well, enough of my rant...if I figure out what I did wrong I'll let everyone know..must have been a huge mistake. I just didn't notice it at the time.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jackiebrown
Titel: RE: A Little Knowledge in the Hands of a Fool  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 03:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
I don't have the bad feelings towards Ubuntu that many have. But I also don't see why people say it's easier than debian. Sure in Debian you might have the occasional depency problem, but apt always warns you. And you have new packages.

noahsark
Titel: RE: A Little Knowledge in the Hands of a Fool  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 20:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jun 2006
Yep. Kanotix is great. Gentoo was fun for a weekend, until I needed the computer to actually WORK monday and I was told it would take a good day or two to compile KDE and OO.o! GAH! All the fun just went out the window. Back to kanotix, where I had complete system in 10 minutes! I love it. You can play with things, bork it all, and then be back up in less than an hour.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
aking469
Titel: Productivity  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 01:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

When I wanted to be productive quickly, I found that Kanotix was the only distro that allowed it without irritating me to the point of distraction. When I tried Ubuntu I went on their site and mentioned a couple of problems I was having....got a lot of RTFM, but little help. In addition, they seemed to frown at the fact that someone on lowly dial-up was attempting to make the distro work.

Here, at Kanotix, I not only got help, but when I found my own work around the input was appreciated.

I don't know why Kanotix isn't always included in the "just works" lists that I keep seeing every where. I even wrote a piece for Linux.com stating that fact.

But I do appreciate the hard work and time Kano and company put in to keep me productive!!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.