24.04.2024, 15:14 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
zonker666
Titel: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when formatted  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 13:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jun 2006

ok so i installed kanotix and it is really great. i want to do a full migration to linux so i need to move my data from those ntfs disks to something linux wil also write to. i have several hd, question is what format should they have (ext3, xfs,reiserfs, etc)
2x250gb hd will contain big videofiles (700-1200mb), another 250 gb will only contain mp3, ogg and other music. What filesystems should be used on them?

I did allready format one of the disks with qparted as xfs (someone mentioned that this was better for big videofiles, dunno if tru). But when i make a shortcut to it and try to open it i get an error message. guess i have to edit the fstab? (vaguely remember doing somthin like that years ago in my first linuxexperience)

Thanks, zonker666

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
schnorrer
Titel: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when formatted  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 15:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

any FS meantioned as you want. But when you want to move 1 hd to a system with win. Ext3 is prefered along with ext2fs for the windows-installation, FAT32 only if ext2fs couldn't installed on windows.

Qtparted, be aware of this tool. fdisk and mkfs.FILESYSTEM does the better job.

zonker666
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 15:33 Uhr

Ok so xfs is fine. but uhm, i didn't understand all that about windows, and moving a hd, im not moving any hd's, im reformatting them to be used in linux only, then i have to add them to the system so that they will show up and be usable inside kanotix... but how do i do that?

devil
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 15:47 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
i would use reiser for those, if you get rid of windows, which is what i understand you want to do.
use cfdisk and mkfs instead of qtparted.
heres a howto:
http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63.html#q418
use that and the one after that.
then you reboot and you can mount the disk by hand or add it to fstab to be recognized/automounted.
then you can move stuff on there.
the problem will be writing from ntfs. to solve that, create a fat32 partition, move stuff under windows to that and from there to the reiser or whatever.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

zonker666
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 13:51 Uhr

thanks for the reply.
im doing the job right now and it works just fine, still have 4 hd to empty and reformat, sigh. What is the problem with reading from an ntfs and writing the data to an linuxpartition? I thought the only problem was writing to a nfts drive...

piper
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 14:04 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
zonker666

As far as I know there is no problem reading from a NTFS partition or drive.

How do you plan to go about of writing the data to a linux partition ?

I myself only took about 50 gigs of music (copy & paste) to my home folder (seperate partition) and had no problems, whether that is the "smart" thing to do or not, it worked for me, and that is the only thing I have ever needed from a NTFS partition. I know others "needs" are different. Smilie Now I do have a fat32 partition also because I download games in linux (for windows) and move it to that partition to install and play later in windows.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
zonker666
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 14:22 Uhr

Well i have 3x250gb drives and 4x120gb drives and 2x80 gb drives all ntfs containing the data i want moved. Ive made some big xfs partitions on the 250gb (i just made a single big partition on every drive, was that a mistake? Search time is not really an issue) and there goes all the video, just selecting folders and doing 'copy to' to get it here. Ill make ext3 partitions on the smaller drives and move the data.
Emptying one disk, formatting it and start filling it up, its a time consuming operation but with all the data on linux native drives ill also be forced to use and get to know linux Smilie Last time i had linux installed, 2 years ago, i left linux again cs i couldnt be bothered to find out how to make thing work properly. This time im determined to make it work, i really like the idea

piper
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 14:46 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Well first of all let me say that choosing Kanotix, I think you made the right choice, Smilie

That being said, I have never thought that making one big partition was a wise thing to do but, that is MHO.

I don't transfer much over from NTFS so I really can't comment much more on the subject and was curious how you were going to do it, and will leave that to others.

Welcome to Kanotix, have fun and enjoy, and remember to stop by #kanotix for additional questions or to learn, it is both German & English

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
slh
Titel: RE: harddisk partittion type and how to get at it when forma  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 22:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

XFS is a really nice file system, but recently (kernel 2.6.16/ 2.6.17) stability is a major concern, ~6 filesystems getting unrecoverable on different systems doesn't sound normal to me; reiserfs 3.6 and ext3 are safe/ stable alternatives.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.