19.03.2024, 08:12 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
murray
Titel: Is dist-upgrade possible for 2005-03?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.06.2006, 21:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Mar 2006

According to /etc/kanotix-version, I'm running KANOTIX 2005-03. The last successful apt-get dist-upgrade was March 19, 2006. Updated the kernel to 2.6.17-kanotix-1 the other day and had to install gcc 4.1 to compile the nvidia module for my video card. Have been installing new versions of software packages as vulnerabilities are announced on the debian-security-announce mailing list.

But having to install a new version of gcc was a surprise, so I spent last weekend doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. I normally boot to run level 3 and can do so with 2005-03 and the results of the dist-upgrade over the weekend. However, I can not get X Windows working. When I try to "startx", the results are
xauth: creating new authority file /home/murray/.serverauth.3219
giving up.
xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error.
and X fails to start.

Is it possible to get X windows working Kanotix 2005-03? If yes, can somebody point me toward some documentation to help me accomplish this?

Thanks.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: Is dist-upgrade possible for 2005-03?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.06.2006, 21:47 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Hi murray

New xorg, etc, would make it a very trecherous adventure if it will work at all, (not saying that it won't) I highly recommend Kanotix Easter rc4

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
devil
Titel: RE: Is dist-upgrade possible for 2005-03?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.06.2006, 22:10 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
murray,
you are hanging because of transition from xorg 6.9 to 7.0
you can try to use the following fix:
wget -N http://kanotix.com/files/fix-xorg7.sh , update-scripts-kanotix.sh,
then run 'sh fix-xorg7.sh' , and run nvidia or ati script.
this might work, but it might not, 2005-03 is quite old nowadays.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

murray
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.07.2006, 20:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Mar 2006

devil,

Thanks for the instructions. Things went well and it looks like everything is now working as it should. X Windows starts and stops on demand. The fonts look a little different, but are quite useable. Will get into that later.

Not sure if I got lucky or got excellent instructions, but my copy of Kanotix 2005-03 is now dist-upgraded. Thanks again!

slh
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.07.2006, 02:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

Possible, definately; I have systems around that were installed (and always kept up to date) somewhere between one and two years ago. Given the large changes debian sid went through over the last months, it definately won't be easy though (udev, X.org 7, ...). Better do yourself a favor and try the update install option of kanotix-2006-easter-rc4.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.