28.03.2024, 16:09 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
wh7qq
Titel: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 06:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jul 2005
Kanotix installer has spoiled me so much...complete install in under 15 min. and just a few issues to work out. Network install via DHCP in seconds and you are up and running. 3 machines running and happy on Kanotix at this location from an old K6-2 400 Compaq laptop through an AMD 64

I just finished reinstalling my XP partition...it had gotten too balky for words even though I hardly use it. What a pain in the ...! First, the 45..60 min going through the basic install, then the nForce driver install so that the ethernet could work, then the SP2 install and on and on...every driver load requiring rebooting, DHCP fighting with the nVidia supplied firewall screwing up the "notwork". Insult to injury, it overwrites grub, but, Kanotix installer to the rescue! How do they sell that junk...more to the point, why did I ever buy it? At the time, I hadn't discovered Kanotix.

Still, keep up the work guys. CUPS is still a pain in the rear, my scanner hasn't worked since the 2.6 kernels came along, setting up soundcards and memory sticks is still a manual task requiring reference to this forum and editing arcanities in the bowels of /etc, and so on. All that aside, it still rules!

Paul

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 07:13 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
paul, i know what you mean.
i remember my last xp install on nforce3 amd64 bit. untill in a working condition, the day goes past.
ditched it 8 months ago and never looked back.
sure there is stuff to do in kanotix/debian and always will be.
the appearance of ubuntu hasnt really helped getting things done, cause some maintainers of debian packages work (paid) for ubuntu as well, and sometimes they just seem to throw stuff into sid, that shouldnt be there, but thats a different story.
there is stuff we can do something about, but things like cups, python...is out of reach. so, when these get fixed, a new release can be released and things will be ok.
but, as we use sid as base, there will always be bugs, no way around that.
glad this forum works as well as it does, so most things can be fixed or worked around.
if you have problems not solved here, feel free to come to irc #kanotix .

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 07:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
It still boggles my mind how great linux is. I often have several things running at once ... I have firefox running with several tabs, bittorent running, web server running, nfs shares running, samba server running, programs converting avi's to dvd format, encrypted chat sessions on msn and gtalk, xchat to irc, ssh session to my work pc, citrix session to my work, vnc session to my work ... all this at the same time ... spread across my four desktops ... and I also am listening to music, and it doesn't skip a beat!

I've never been able to do most of this in windows, let alone at the same time! ... with windows, the doing something even slightly cpu intensive would always make any music I'm listing to jump. Linux seems to take it all in it's stride!

devil
Titel: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 08:10 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
swynndla,
right you are, converting video plus bittorent will make an easy task like browsing the net and listening to music a real pain with XP. always hated that. i even lowered priority of avi conversion to lowest, no way. here cpu happily fries away at 100% with the tasks you mention above (or similar) and i just work away with no delays or skipping at all. its amazing every single time.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 14:44 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
devil28 hat folgendes geschrieben::
swynndla,
right you are, converting video plus bittorent will make an easy task like browsing the net and listening to music a real pain with XP.

Not to mention that if you want to install an application on xp you have to close all the others and let the installer take over the entire machine. :/ And people think that's normal!

No kidding, at work we are not allowed to leave our boxes logged in overnite (security risk) so all virus scanning & hotfixes must be installed during daylight hours while someone is in attendance. This consumes 2-4 hours of my time PER WEEK! I wonder if M$ included that in their TCO report?

Nah, their too busy building the latest Redmond controlled spyware to install on your pc through the latest Windows Update. Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 15:50 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
mzilikazi

hehe, love your sig !

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
aking469
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 19:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

Swynndla, I have just created a dual boot system for my wife/daughter's machine. Daughter is in college and is a Facebook person...aaaaarrrgh...filled XP with spyware nearly immediately. She is studying for her GRE and is using the PC to write up her notes as she studies. She commented yesterday that the internet was faster, she could keep more things open, and seemed to get more done....imagine that. Looks like I'm gonna have to get her an iBook to go to school with, I can't be there to administer the system and she is a music major (haha) (Opera), and doesn't know and doesn't want to know about the system. Further, there are programs she needs that are unavailable in Linux, and won't work under wine. But, OSX is a BSD-like cousin, so there we are. I too find that multitasking is so much easier now...can't believe how hard it was to copy disks, surf the net, and type papers in XP, shouldn't have been so difficult. Kanotix rules the desktop in my house....

slam
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 19:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Zitat:
Further, there are programs she needs that are unavailable in Linux, and won't work under wine.

Which one? Probalby we have solutions for that.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
aking469
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Kanotix a dream...XP my worst nightmare  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 20:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

The deal breaker is Finale...it is a professional type music writing program. She has a "copy" from a friend that is somewhat diabled but runs under XP. There is a version for OSX...will order that at the same time. I looked at Rosegarden(?) etc. and their interface isn't "the same" which is important to her. She doesn't want to know about reformatting, file compatability, tweaking, etc.... She is an extreme technophobe, and so are her contemporaries. She will be doing some MIDI work, writing, transcribing, rewriting of music, etc and ther are only 2 programs that "they" all use..... Rosegarden didn't seem quite "ready" when I looked at it a few weeks ago. In addition, if she has an Apple I know that it will not allow her to "mess it up" and she will use it for years. She, like her father only worse, hates to change computers....her current one is a 600E, which is a bit long in the tooth. BTW Finale installs under Wine, but won't run....aaaargh. Close but not quite. If you have other suggestions....I'm all ears (no not literally).

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.