16.04.2024, 06:39 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Farcry
Titel: PCI modem recognized but what device is it?  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 01:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Aug 2006

[Using 2006 Easter RC4]

I have an Intel 536EP PCI modem which is recognized fine by Kanotix (KInfoCenter lists it), but when I want to set up dial-up networking with KPPP, what device will it be, since /dev/modem is not pre-defined?

I've queried a few possible devices with KPPP, but they are all "unknown modem". Will it be a pseudo-serial device (even though it's a PCI card) or something else? (MEPIS 6.0 recognizes it and links /dev/modem to /dev/536ep0) The Kanotix utilities all seem to want a serial device specified.

Any help to resolve this would be most welcome.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: PCI modem recognized but what device is it?  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 01:37 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Go to Kmenue --> Kanotix --> Network/Internet --> My PPP Conf

Choose your provider, and whatever else it asks you (it has been awhile and can't remember the rest of the setup but is pretty much common sense)

Try whatever com port it is on i.e.

ttyS0 = com1
ttyS1 = com2
ttyS2 = com3

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Farcry
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 02:06 Uhr

Thanks for the reply, piper.

But that's the core of the problem - how do I find out which device the card corresponds to? I've experimented querying ttyS0-17 within KPPP and got nowhere. Could the lspci (or other) command tell us this?

The Kanotix My PPP Conf asks for a device, which defaults to /dev/ttyS0. Other than that it gives no guidance what you could type in - at least KPPP gives a long list of likely devices to choose from. There's surely got to be a better way than trying 'em all! Mit den Augen rollen

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 02:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

It seems the driver you would need does not compile on newer kernels. Mepis uses a very old one (2.6.15) can not be really compared to newer ones.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 02:56 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
For future reference

http://www.aboutdebian.com/modems.htm

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Farcry
Titel: Thanks for the replies  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 17:46 Uhr

Thanks for the information, Kano and piper. That link is incredibly useful for reference.

Under Windows, I checked and the modem card is seen as COM3, which would correspond to /dev/ttyS2 presumably. It's identified by Windows as a Creatix V.92 DSP Data-Fax-Modem, type CTX402_8. According to the reference, I see the DSP modems have a patchy chance of working under Linux. (Booting DOS first? That's would be fun!)

I also have an Ambient Creatix V.90 HaM Data/Fax/Voice PCI (aka "Intel HaM") in another PC which could be tested some time. Would that one have a better chance of working, I wonder?

Winken

kelmo
Titel: RE: Thanks for the replies  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 03:28 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
A hardware modem, connected via serial port, is the failsafe option. That will rarely let you down.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.