19.03.2024, 07:57 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
desmith1944
Titel: Second Operating System Installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.08.2006, 17:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Mai 2006
I would like to install another Linux OS using GRUB on my 100 gig drive. I currently have hda1, hda2, hda3 installed. Does the second OS set itself up on the available partitions or do I need to run qtpared and desginate the partitions?
Thanks for the help, David.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: Second Operating System Installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.08.2006, 18:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
You can install the second linux os to whatever partition is free, don't install grub to mbr with the second distro, choose root and add the second linux os to the kanotix /boot/grub/menu.lst manually or chainload it to the menu.lst.

Some distro's don't give you a choice to install to the root of that partition, if that is the case you can use the live kanotix cd and restore your grub and add the second distro manually. It is actually very easy to do, and if you have any questions and aren't sure feel free to ask.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
desmith1944
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.08.2006, 01:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Mai 2006
Hi piper, I have two OS now loaded onto my 100 gig drive. How can I setup a menu to select which OS I want to boot up first. Thanks, David.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.08.2006, 03:27 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
To edit grub menu.lst is really easy, this is how mine looked as a single OS installed

initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16.16-kanotix-1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.16-kanotix-1 root=/dev/hda1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.16-kanotix-1
boot

Then all i did was copy and paste it so i had it duplicated and made changes to the duplicated lis as follows

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16.16-kanotix-1
to read
title "whatever you want"

root (hd0,0)
to read
root (hd0,6) as "6" is the number of where my hda7 is

and also change

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.16-kanotix-1 root=/dev/hda1 ro
to read
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro

as hda7 is the second OS

You may need to alter your fstab too so the the original install can mount the second OS partition (if you want it to) if the second OS was reformated to a different file system post install of the original install

and a Production Box, Desktop ICEWM::

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.08.2006, 14:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
What you could do is boot up with the Kanotix cd and go to the Kanotix-Installer (The installer is started from the "fishbutton") then check the Recover existing Kanotix-HD-Installation box and reinstall grub to the MBR then reboot into Kanotix and open konqueror --> /boot/grub and right click on menu.lst --> actions --> edit as root and add "your distro" to your grub.

These are examples of what you can do, just remember to change it so it matches the partition that "your distro" is installed to.

title Your Distro [/boot/vmlinuz26]
root (hd0,10)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda11 ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.15-your distro.img

or

title Your distro
chainloader (hd0,11)+1

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.