28.03.2024, 18:50 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
spottyrover
Titel: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Apr 2005

hi
1)I would like to know if 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use yet?
2) would I need to upgrade it much ( I am on dialup)

I am using 2005-4 now but it now needs alot of updates. In the past when alot of updates are done it usually breaks (e.g. I can no longer use the root user in gui )

you guys do a great job

Dave

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

1) yes.
2) about 500 MB (rough estimate).

spottyrover
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:27 Uhr

1) great
2) is that after the iso is installed?
thanks for the quick reply
dave

ockham23
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Yes, it's stable enough. The only problems I experienced so far are with
- VIA onboard sound chips (there's an easy fix, though),
- certain onboard raid chips that are not fully supported by the kernel,
- certain WLAN cards, and
- removable storage devices such as USB floppy drives and USB hard drives, which you may have to mount manually from Konsole.

Please note that this release comes with KOffice, not OpenOffice.

After installation it requires about 2.5 GB of hard drive space, but you should plan for at least 4 GB if you want to install additional packages.

spottyrover
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:36 Uhr

any ideas of how much updates is needed after the install
dave

HK-47
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

i've been using RC4 for more than a month now, and it's definitely stable.

as for the 2nd question, RC4 was released over 3 months ago, so if you do a dist-upgrade, you'll be upgrading pretty much everything. a couple of days ago, i dist-upgraded (using h2's excellent script) a fresh install of RC4 had to download more than 500MB. you'll have to add about 30MB if you want do a kernel update, and over 100MB if you want OpenOffice. it'll be a pain to do on dial-up.

but then you don't really HAVE to dist-upgrade. a fresh install will give you pretty much everything you need for everyday use, and it also saves you from potential problems caused by new/upgraded packages. the only problem is that if you need to install an application that's not included (like OpenOffice), or if you need to upgrade a program (say, for security updates or bug fixes), you mave have to upgrade some or all of the packages associated with it, and end up downloading a lot of stuff anyway.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von HK-47 am 25.08.2006, 14:47 Uhr, insgesamt 2 Male bearbeitet

slh
Titel: Re: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:44 Uhr

ockham23 hat folgendes geschrieben::
- VIA onboard sound chips (there's an easy fix, though),
disable KDE soundsystem a.k.a. aRts (which isn't needed after an ALSA update anymore, as the new version can do software mixing on its own).
- certain onboard raid chips that are not fully supported by the kernel,
not more issues than before, fake RAID isn't supported completely under linux and probably never will be.
- certain WLAN cards, and
I'm not aware of any open issues regarding this with current kernels, zd1211 might be a bit problematic (but we never supported it in the past and have no way to debug it as we lack that hardware), new drivers have been added in the mean time. I am not aware of any open regressions in this area either, but our testing abilities are limited of course.
- removable storage devices such as USB floppy drives and USB hard drives, which you may have to mount manually from Konsole.
fixed with upgrades for some time.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von slh am 25.08.2006, 14:47 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

ockham23
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:45 Uhr

You can either use it without any updates (works fine on my notebook) and wait for the next release, update specific packages auch as Firefox, or do a full dist-upgrade and kernel update (that's what I did with my desktop computer). As slh wrote, a full update is about 500 megs.

@slh: I know you've been very effective at fixing these issues. My comments referred to 2006-Easter-RC4 without any updates. And that's what spottyrover will start with after downloading and installing the iso file.

spottyrover
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:54 Uhr

any ideas when a new full release will be? since i can not download that much on dialup
which kernel is in rc4 as i need 2.6.17 for dvb card dntv live pro
thanks for the info
dave

ockham23
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 14:57 Uhr

2.6.16.16-kanotix-1

spottyrover
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 15:08 Uhr

great i think that works with my card
now i need to find someone who can get it for me

thanks everyone you guys are the reason I have not found a better distro to use
as it's much more upto date than ubuntu and the forums are much faster

dave Sehr glücklich

kanotixrules
Titel: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 06:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Jun 2006

I've tried a bunch of distros, Kanotix is the best!!!!

JimC
Titel: Re: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 14:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
I'm not aware of any open issues regarding this with current kernels, zd1211 might be a bit problematic (but we never supported it in the past and have no way to debug it as we lack that hardware), new drivers have been added in the mean time. I am not aware of any open regressions in this area either, but our testing abilities are limited of course..

I recently installed 2005-04 again after having some quirks with 2006-easter-rc4.

2006-easter-rc4 didn't work with my Belkin USB Wireless G adapter (rt2570 chipset) with the default kernel, and didn't appear to be stable on my PC running my other adapter via ndiswrapper.

I installed the UP kernel with 2006-easter-rc4 instead after you guys said there was a conflict with the rt2570 and the kernel used in 2006-easter-rc4 (so this driver was left out).

When I tried to use the UP kernel, I couldn't get the nvidia driver to work with it on my PC. So, I ended up going back to the nv driver with it. I don't know what went wrong there. See this thread for details (and I did try it twice with the same problems).

http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t ... rt-15.html

Otherwise it seemed to run OK with the UP Kernel though (much faster than the default kernel used in 2006-easter-rc4, which seemed to have some strange issues with my hardware).

So, rather than risk going through all of that again, I just went to 2005-04 when I decided to give Kanotix another try recently (since it seems to work OK on my PC and supports my rt2570 based adapter)..

I haven't kept up with what you guys have listed as the Stable Kernels in the download section.

Does the current stable 2.6.17.11-kanotix-2 support the rt2570 again, or is there a new driver for rt2570 based adapters that will work with the kernel included in 2006-easter-rc4 now so that I don't need to try and swap kernels to get it working like I did last time I tried it?.

If not, is the 2.6.17.11-slh-up-1 kernel newer than the latest stable kernel you had available for download on July 10?

I ended up ovewriting 2006-easter-rc4 with another distro. But, I recently installed 2005-04 to give it another go (since it seems to be more stable on my PC and supports my adapters just fine when 2006-easter-rc4 didn't)..

If the current stable kernel is newer and corrects some issues with wireless adapters like my Belkin which is based on the rt2570 chipset, I may give the easter RC another go (I'm running 2005-04 right this minute (tri-boot with SimplyMEPIS 6.0, Windows XP, Kantoix 2005-04 on the drive).

I hate to go through all of the kernel installation process again that I needed to with 2006-easter-rc4 the last time I tried it to get my wireless working. But, I guess I should get used to doing this type of thing.

I haven't installed much in 2005-04 yet, so it wouldn't be a real big deal to overwrite it to give 2006-easter-rc4 another try if there is a good reason to think it may work better now with newer kernel and driver updates.

Any new RCs coming soon (I know you guys probably don't like to commit to dates for that kind of thing -- just curious, since that would make it much easier to try the latest stuff without going through replacing kernels, etc.).

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: is the 2006-easter-rc4 version stable enough to   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 16:55 Uhr

rt2??0 modules do prefer -up kernels, although they're supposed to work with -smp as well, the rest of the problems seem to be rather operator related than software errors.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 17:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

That's quite possible (operator error). Smilie

Although mzilikazi said that someone else had the same issue with nvidia at the time, if you look at his post in that same thread.

I really don't need the Nvidia driver anyway for what I do.

Given the need to swap kernels to get the rt2570 based adapter working, I figured it would be easier to use 2005-04 when I decided to try Kanotix again recently. I'll give trying 2006-easter-rc4 again some thought.

I really need to become more efficient doing that kind of thing anyway (swapping kernels, etc.) if I'm going to use Linux.

Kanotix isn't the only distro with issues with this adapter either though. I guess that's just the "nature of the beast" with wireless.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.