02.04.2024, 07:51 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Dieses Thema ist gesperrt, du kannst keine Beiträge editieren oder beantworten.
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
al3
Titel: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 16:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

http://paste.debian.net/11251

Above are fdisk stats.

Can anyone tell me how to fix sda1 so it ends on a cyl boundry? I know I need to resize it (yes I know risks) but I don't know what to resize it TO!

Thanks

Al

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
schnorrer
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 00:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

leave it as is. This status was caused from a early fdisk-program. Manny but not all Fdisk-Programms can handle lba48 the correct way. or some of the bioses can't handle lba48, or some ide-usb-converters will fail on this kind of request.

al3
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 00:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

I need to fix it because I can't mount the partition... and I think this is the reason why.

Al

schnorrer
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 11:13 Uhr

I don't know how and which tool you have used for partitioning. so there is only speculation howto handle this problem with normal tools.

Best is boot with windows and backup all NTFS-Data. since linux cannot do this for you. Hidden StreamData at the end of the NTFS-Part.

Having done this. boot linux and use dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1 count=numer of sektors. This will clear the whole sda.

Reboot linux again since there a no partitions on sda available. and now use the cfdisk or fdisk to create the partitons.
keep in mind to format first the newly createtd linux-partition.

Next Reboot with windows and format the created ntfs-partition. Restore the windows data. Thats it.

Kano
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 14:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

To clear all partitions:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1

(default is bs=512). When you use bs=1 you have got 1 byte, not 1 sector as blocksize.

schnorrer
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 19:13 Uhr

Tnx Kano for corretion.

piper
Titel: RE: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.08.2006, 03:12 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
And if Kano's solution don't work, IMHO, I would start from scratch. I think schnorrer hit it well by saying I don't know how and which tool you have used for partitioning. That said, What did you use ?. Plan out the sizes of your partitions and the "type" of filesystems you will be using ie. NTFS, Fat32, ReiserFS, Ext3, etc....Of course make sure everything is backed up that you need/want. Yes this is a pain in the arse, but once done "correctly" you can continue computing and not have to worry about resizing later. Use common sense and make your partitions bigger (alot) than what you think you need, so this won't be a problem in the future.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jesko
Titel: Re: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 22:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Nov 2004
al3 hat folgendes geschrieben::
http://paste.debian.net/11251

Above are fdisk stats.

Can anyone tell me how to fix sda1 so it ends on a cyl boundry? I know I need to resize it (yes I know risks) but I don't know what to resize it TO!

Thanks

Al

Al,

the given link doesn't work. So I can make only general comments.

As far as I know the problem as you state it is not the real one: some partition on sda, not necessarily sda2, doesn't start on a cylinder boundary.

Under these circumstances resizing is too dangereous.

What I would do: make (possibly compressed) images of all partitions of sda on a separate disk, then delete all partitions on sda and play all partition-images back onto sda in turn, starting on correct cylinder boundaries.

Some image software:

Paragon (english demo-version):

http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloa ... 95673.html

SystemRescueCd:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

-Jesko

slh
Titel: RE: Re: How do I fix sda1 for cyl boundry?  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 22:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19427

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Dieses Thema ist gesperrt, du kannst keine Beiträge editieren oder beantworten.
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.