19.03.2024, 04:59 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
michael7
Titel: h2's Script  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.07.2006, 23:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
h2,

Your script is excellent. I used it again today on a friend's computer. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Michael

P.S. For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to, it's a dist-upgrade script with extra features. You can find it at:
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about736.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: h2  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 02:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

I don't pay this guy to post these things, I swear it...

as always, user feedback is appreciated - good, bad, indifferent, must have missing feature, whatever.

Especially of interest is ati/radeon results. Supposedly 2.6.17 is not playing well with some ati/radeon stuff. I don't use ati so i can't test this.

While the script simply uses kano's install-fglrx-debian.sh, it's good to know what kinds of results people are having with the new kernel, which you install if you use the 'upgrade kernel' option on the script. Kano reports issues with ati and 2.6.17.

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 02:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Both my friend's computer and mine have NVidia cards, so I can't help with an evaluation of how it works with ATI Radeon cards. It works great with NVidia cards though. Sehr glücklich

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 03:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
I think it's the just the "legacy" R200 ati cards that are having issues with the 2.6.17 kernel (that is, the closed source 3-d ati drivers that are having the issue with supporting the R200 card properly) ... I think the "modern" R300 ati cards work.

SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 04:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jun 2006

So is this the thread to post feedback on the script now? I didn't want to do a dist-upgrade until later, so I updated the kernel to 2.6.17.3-slh-up-1 with the Kanotix-Update-Gui, it installed the fglrx drivers for my x800 pro and everything works fine. I guess these isn't exactly feedback on the script, but if it works with just updating the kernel, then it should work for the dist-upgrade too (unless some packages cause conflicts or something).

Also, there is work on an experimental open-source driver for the r300 and up cards made by reverse engineering something I think.

op4latino
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 05:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
h2's script has been updated, so there shouldn't be more ATI drivers problems.

NOTE: h2's script uses install-fglrx-debian.sh, so if install-fglrx-debian.sh can't install the drivers in your PC, the first one wouldn't either

Zuletzt bearbeitet von op4latino am 21.08.2006, 17:28 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 00:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
I tried the script out today on a stock Easter RC4 installation and it seemed to work ok at the time. Did not choose to upgrade kernel. However, now the really cool program that Easter RC4 came with for tuning in radio stations is gone. Can somebody tell me what it was called? I am dying without it. Oh, and I have an ATI MR 9600 in my laptop (fujitsu N5010). Video worked fine after a reboot. It was flaky before that.

Edit: ahh, found it myself. Streamtuner was the name of the package. How bout that.
Ahhhh Cool
/me relaxes to groovy tunes of brasil.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 07:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
Read the above post and thought I would share my experience. I installed (clean) the easter rc4 and then used h2's script. Read everything before hand and went right through it. So easy it made me feel good about finally installing Kanotix. I have an ATI X1600 pro and it installed perfectly. Never knew this stuff was so easy Smilie Great job h2.

John

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 15:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Would something like what Automatix (for Ubuntu) be a good idea for kanotix? I heard that script installs the stuff Ubuntu cannot include, such as **censored** , Acrobat...etc

makke
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 16:03 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 02. Jan 2005
ask in irc

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 20:13 Uhr

Keep in mind that my script is primarily a glue script for the various scripts and fixes that are created by the Kanotix team members. That means your kernel installs and runs because of slh, many fixes and graphics install happens because of kano's scripts, and the sid fixes are developed and distributed as kanotix .deb packages by the kanotix team members. So give them the thanks they deserve, what they do is hard and takes a lot of skill.

DeepDayze: no, it's not a good idea, for many reasons. This is not a topic that needs to be raised in the forums however.

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 23:43 Uhr

I am not knocking the Kanotix team or you, h2...its all good Smilie

feffer777
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 23:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
I usually d-u using the CLI steps in the kanotix manual, but when the new kde stuff started coming in, I waited for a few weeks. I was a bit worried about it, and decided to try h2's script. Worked great! Very clear steps. I have two machines so I had h2's instructions on screen on one, while I upgraded the other. If you don't have this, probably better to print them out before starting. I didn't really need to check back once the script started, but it's a comfort thing to have the instructions in hand.

h2, it's especially nice that you're continually updating the script to include the latest fixes. Thanks a bunch.

UncleDeadley, I like and use Streamtuner too. Was it actually removed during an upgrade? I noticed that mine worked strangely for a few days, but was fixed in an upgrade. Mine was never actually removed, though.

Regards,
Ron

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 00:10 Uhr

deepdayze, I just want to make sure people reading this don't fall under the mistaken assumption that it's my script doing all these magic things, when it's actually the kano team's stuff in the internals doing the heavy lifting parts. I didn't think you were knocking anyone, don't worry. What the script does is basically collect all the factoids, scripts, howtos, fixes, etc, you need to know into one place. And believe me, that's plenty for me at this point...

There was an upgrade recently that forced the removal of streamtuner, yes. It depends on a package that has been changed, so it's uninstalled during the upgrade. Always look at what is being removed, very very very closely, frequently something may be removed just because one of the libraries it depends on changed names or format, just take a note of this, and reinstall it after the upgrade is done.

feffer, it's actually not a bad idea to run that script, if there are no serious warning issues, once in a while, because sometimes there are new fixes, such as the new cdrom mount fix that overwrites the old cdrom mounting fix of last week.

If there is no red WARNING on the warning / alert section, there are no known issues that do not have a resolution. In general, if there is a red warning on that section, please do not do the upgrade, it means something broke in sid and is still not fixed, or no fix is available from the kanotix team. This condition usually will last no more than a week at most, so be patient.

For users who haven't tried it, the warning stuff comes after the kernel install option, if you skip kernel install, warning comes next. That's because kernel install is actually more or less a separate feature, but has to be slightly connected for various reasons.

The script now has an option to bypass the dist-upgrade completely, and just run some tweaks and fixes, and / or graphics driver install. In general I don't recommend this, but you have the choice to do it, this being linux Cool

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 04:45 Uhr

no, h2...your script works well. its good to admit its not the magic bullet, but it does make life easier managing d-u's and their pitfalls

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 04:48 Uhr

What can I say, I only scanned the 'to be removed' list this time. It was short and I didn't see any kde so I kept running. Smilie Come to think of it, the ony problem I can ever recall with a dist-upgrade was the first one I tried from within KDE. That was a long time ago, before Kanotix. I really borked that system!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
etorix
Titel: the kernel-zip-contents  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 12:09 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 23. Dez 2003

get put under /var/local
why not use /usr/src?
even /home would do,seems a obscure place for them to wind up

h2
Titel: RE: the kernel-zip-contents  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 18:56 Uhr

wasn't sure where to put them to be honest, no real good place came to mind, to me /usr/src is for source code, and I didn't want it to get mixed up with the stuff that install kernel creates there, that would be confusing.

I could put it in /home I guess, but that doesn't make much more sense to me than any other option, as long as it's known where that location is, and that location doesn't confict too badly with the file system the way it's supposed to be [/var/local is empty here, and seems to match /usr/local/bin roughly], and it's consistent. If it wasn't such a pain to get the user /home/<username> directory location, I'd put it in /home/<username>/bin, that's my preferred location.

What I can't figure out is within the filesystem naming scheme, there doesn't appear to be any default location for normal data, I've read the filesystem stuff, but every time I can't find any single location for data that makes sense. Seems odd that there is no 'data' type directory, I thought /var was sort of that, but it's not quite it, even though it sounds like it is.

on the freebsd servers I use, stuff is put in /usr/www, /usr/home, and so on, which makes no more or less sense than any other scheme I've run across. Personally, I put my website data in /var/www/, which makes sense to me, since it's already where apache puts its stuff, I guess to me it's a default, given no other place to put it that makes real sense.... I have to admit though, this is the one thing that simply makes no sense to me, no matter how many times I read the file system hierarchy stuff.

etorix
Titel: var/local/kernel-current  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 23:15 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 23. Dez 2003

putting it in /usr/src, as /usr/src/kernel-current, makes more sense to me
as /usr/src is where kernels would be built,normally
your naming, ie '/kernel-current', is perfectly safe
and wont interfere with
any kernel-building that might go on there
check out the Makefile thats there
kernels BUILT there wind up as .debs in /usr/src
only precisely-named patches or dirs could interfere with a build
your renaming is sensible and safe
and /usr/src was where i looked first
ie, it took me awhile to find

Swynndla
Titel: RE: var/local/kernel-current  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.08.2006, 02:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
Gosh h2, your du script just gets better and better ... I used to to remove a whole bunch of isdn and wireless stuff etc ... and also any unused xorg stuff too ... it's great!

(and one of my friends was saying only last week how he didn't like how xorg would install by default every graphics driver under the sun)

Edit: oh afterwards I did need to do:
# apt-cache search motif-clients
... which installs libmotif3 too, as I need this for my ICA citrix client, and h2's script couldn't pick up that I needed it as I had installed this manually.

h2
Titel: RE: var/local/kernel-current  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.08.2006, 07:10 Uhr

Swynndla, coming soon, script options so you can skip steps, especially useful after kernel install reboot and run script again, for example.

options are not picky, you can make it -w -i -k or -kw -i or whatever combination of options, as long as they start with a -.
-h for help, as usual.

As soon as I've tested it some more it will be ready to go, version 3.4 will have the new option start stuff.

for example, /usr/local/bin/du-fixes-h2.sh -kir will skip the kernel install, the system information, and the script check for latest version, for those who are so inclined, and start straight on du warnings, which you can skip too with -w option, which will take you straight to du.

But please don't make a practice of skipping the warning, that is up to the minute stuff and is updated frequently, for example, today, you would have seen the xorg 7.1 error warning.

The xorg module removal stuff has options to keep any module you think you might want but aren't sure about, it doesn't just delete all the ones reported as unused automaticaly, although you can do that too if you want. That uses the x-un-i script clean_xorg_modules.sh by the way, with modifications.

<updated>
version 3.4 is out now, with full option support.
kernel download location is now: /usr/src/kernel-downloads
</updated>

Bluetooth removal coming too, forgot that one. And some other stuff.

UncleDeadley
Titel: RE: var/local/kernel-current  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 08:17 Uhr

I have to confess, I used your script today just for fun. It really is very nice- I enjoy the color amongst other things.

Edit: oh, I also thought I would mention that my wireless (atheros) and video card (ati) were properly detected and installed. Very cool Smilie

Zuletzt bearbeitet von UncleDeadley am 26.08.2006, 05:32 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

h2
Titel: RE: var/local/kernel-current  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 23:08 Uhr

Version 3.5 is now out, with these new features:

Detects presence of active internet connection [detection bugs in that fixed now]
If no internet, gives wireless users who have just installed a new kernel option to install either ndiswrapper or madwifi kernel module when they reboot. The script does not know which is needed, so you'll have to figure that out yourself. If you use wifi, know which module you need before installing new kernel.

Has a few more options, the most important one being -u, which lets you start the script as root without being in init 3, and download and overwrite the latest version directly, without running rest of script. Then the script restarts, and will exit if you're not in runlevel 3.

You can also view the option help menu now without being in init 3, dont' need to be logged in as root either, that's du-fixes-h2.sh -h

Also, I added a test for graphics card type, please let me know if your nvidia or ati/radeon card was not correctly detected, the script will offer an option to install from a list of ati/nvidia driver in that case however.

That is available in any version after 3.5.15

Some more remove items in remove packages option. I think that's it for latest changes, plus script is cleaned up and a bit more readable now.

Zitat:
I enjoy the color

Yes, so do I, heh heh, thank op4Latino, aka Latino, for that one, he's the one who showed me how to do it.

op4latino
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 04:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
Sehr glücklich

As soon I remember in what script I saw them, I'll take the credits Winken but if you're an old skool programmer, you already know they're called ANSI colors

jivens
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.08.2006, 19:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Feb 2006
I know it's been said before, but have to say it again. Awesome script, H2! Thanks so much from myself and other less experienced (and yes lazy) Sehr glücklich Kanotix users!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.