19.03.2024, 05:20 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
bigrigdriver
Titel: {SOLVED} Can't install Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.09.2006, 23:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Sep 2006

I have two IDE drives: hda is used by two distros. I want to use hdb to install Kanotix.

I have made a /boot partition, a / partition, and a /home partition. I intend to use the /swap partition on hda with the Kanotix installation. The Linux partitions are formated ext3.

Every attemp to install Kanotix, it rejects my choice of partition of / on hdb, ignores the /boot partition on hdb, claims to accept /home on hdb. But, when I select "Save configuration and start installation", the preview screen of what will happen always defaults to /dev/hda1 for installation. That partition is already in use.

Does Kanotix have the same ego-centric problem that micre$oft has, and insist on being on the first partition of the first hard drive? Is there any way to force Kanotix to accept my choice of partitions for installation? Is there a script to edit to accomplish that goal?

Zuletzt bearbeitet von bigrigdriver am 03.09.2006, 14:33 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 00:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Aug 2006
No.

To the egocentrism.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 00:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

I've never used the /boot partition, also have not had any install failures.

To me, and others may disagree, the /boot as a separate partition is not really necessary anymore, that I think was more valid some time ago.

Try it without a boot partiton. Kanotix installer I think by default formats / to reiser, but I'm not sure what happens if you want ext3, haven't tried that, have had no issues with reiser for root. I use ext 3 for data though since I can use it with windows if required.

Sometimes some older boxes require some cheat codes to install kanotix, not sure if that is applicable here.

My guess is that you may have found an installer bug that only triggers with use of /boot, my second guess is that no one uses that /boot partition anymore, which is why this bug has not been detected.

And no, kanotix does not care where it is installed. <hint>suggesting that kanotix is as stupid as Windows is not the best way to introduce yourself on a forum....</hint>

Zuletzt bearbeitet von h2 am 02.09.2006, 00:45 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 00:44 Uhr

1.) Did you use the Kanotix partition manager to partition?
2.) Did you unmount all partitions before setting their sizes?
3.) Did you write each of their configs?
4.) Did you format each partition?
5.) Did you save a new fstab?
6.) Did you read the changed fstab?
7.) Did you allow / to be formatted Reiserfs and set to Hdbwhatever?
8.) Did you enter your other partitions in the table and check the box?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
bigrigdriver
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 01:01 Uhr

Zitat:

1.) Did you use the Kanotix partition manager to partition?
2.) Did you unmount all partitions before setting their sizes?
3.) Did you write each of their configs?
4.) Did you format each partition?
5.) Did you save a new fstab?
6.) Did you read the changed fstab?
7.) Did you allow / to be formatted Reiserfs and set to Hdbwhatever?
8.) Did you enter your other partitions in the table and check the box?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. I don't remember. I'll go through it again to verify.
6. No
7. No. Changed default to ext3.
8. Yes

Grandchildren just arrived for a visit. The eldest has a user login on the box, and he wants to play games (for a six year old, he's a sharp kid).

Later, I'll try it again.

Thanks to all who responded.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 01:43 Uhr

bigrigdriver
The kanotix partitioner is buggy and problematic. Try doing the partitioning with the really nice gparted livecd.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I would suggest you create / as reiserfs, and /home as whatever you like, reiser or ext3.

And don't bother with /boot.

Then boot into the livecd again, click install, select / and /home in the gui installer, and I think you won't have any more issues.

SteveR
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 02:17 Uhr

H2, I think reading that fstab with the lower left button in the installer was a critical piece for me after partitioning, as well as the other things you mentioned -- things didn't work well until I did that and let the installer format / with reiserfs (checkbox near top), even though I had already formatted with reiserfs in the partitioner.

Some of this might apply in the installer process even though a different partitoner was used.

--Steve

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 02:22 Uhr

by far the best is to simply not use the qparted partitioner at all, and to pre create the partitions with a more stable and less buggy partitioner, like the one on the gparted livecd.

This is one of the only weaknesses in kanotix, and it's not kanotixes fault at all that qparted is so buggy, and the livecd doesnt' have room to add a full gtk app like gparted from what I understand, so basically kanotix is just stuck with this, often qtparted does work fine to be fair, but not for reiser partitioning. But sometimes it doesn't.

I also had install problems the first times with kanotix, but as soon as I stopped using qtparted those problems vanished, never to be seen again.

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 02:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
big,

I have Kanotix installed 3 times on this box. I have Easter on hda1, Kanotix 64-bit on hdb5 and CeBit (an older version) at hda5. No issues booting into any of them. Kanotix doesn't care where you put it.

I agree heartily with h2's recommendation of gparted. It's a great tool. Download the image (small iso), burn it to a CD and boot it.

I suggest /(root), swap and /home. After you've installed, download h2's script and use it for a dist-upgrade. Kanotix has an All-Star lineup of developers with Kano, Stefan (aka slh), Kelmo, etorix and others. h2 has created a script, however, that handles some important chores and does it extremely well.

Welcome to Kanotix-- the best damn distro in the world!

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.09.2006, 05:34 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Actually cfdisk is what you should use to make your partitions (IMHO)
Very simple and easy
Use gparted if you have to resize partitions

bigrigdriver
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 14:44 Uhr

Solved my problem. On trying to reinstall Kanotix, I had the same problems as I originally stated. Kanotix absolutely insisted on installing to /dev/hda1, when I want to install to partitions on /dev/hdb.

I solved the problem by booting into Suse. I made and formated the partitions I wanted on hdb. Then I rebooted with the Kanotix cd in the drive. On trying to install, any attempt to change /dev/hda1 as the default location to install failed. Unitl I arrived at the last dialogue screen before beginning the installation, in which the installation options are displayed. At the bottom of the message, there is a note that the installation options can be changed by editing /home/knoppix/.knocfig. I did that, changing the reference to hda to hdb. I also added the boot partition I wanted (which Kanotix ignored on installation).
At any rate, Kanotix installed /home to its own partition properly, the remainder went into my choice of root partition. After that, is was simply a matter ot moving /boot to the partition I created for it. Then I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect those changes. I then copied that config to the SuSE /boot/grub/menu.lst.
On reboot, Kanotix booted properly; /dev/hda1 was not harmed; I'm a hapy camper now.
As a side note, when running Kanotix as a liveCD, it makes the network connection for me and I can begin browsing the web immediately. On installating to HD, I had to spend a few minutes figuring out how to make the connection manually. Oh, well. I'm up and running now.
Thanks to all who responded.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 15:48 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Well, glad your up and running, but you did things the "hard way"

Instead of booting to suse all you had to do was use cfdisk, make your partitions, reboot and then format -> mkreiserfs /dev/hdbX or mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdbX of course unmounting first using umount once Kanotix was installed to get your internet working open konosle and type netcardconfig or you could have used the fish icon in the kicker.

Anywho, glad it worked out for you Winken and Welcome to Kanotix

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.