19.04.2024, 08:43 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
HK-47
Titel: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.08.2006, 14:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

in my continuing quest to move away from the world of proprietary software, the next step i want to take is converting my collection of mp3s to an open format like ogg. i have about 18.6 gigs of mp3s to convert, and i'd obviously like to retain the info in the ID3 tags. what do you think is the best way to do the conversion?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
stryder
Titel: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.08.2006, 14:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

MP3 being a lossy format, and OGG also a lossy (and different) format, converting from one to the other will result in further loss of information since the two formats discard different things when compressing. Perhaps you should just use OGG in future rips?

Humboldt
Titel: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.08.2006, 14:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
I don´t think it is a good idea to convert your mp3 files to ogg files. mp3 and ogg is both lossy formats. If you first transform a file to mp3, and then transform the mp3 to ogg, then you "degrade" the original twice. This means that you mp3 to ogg converted files will not be as good sounding as your original mp3:s. My advice is therefore, if you don´t have the original file, to keep the mp3:s as they are.

regards

mzilikazi
Titel: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.08.2006, 19:03 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
If you really want to convert your files:
Code:
apt-get install mp32ogg

It will preserve your id3tags or (if you want) it will even rename the files according to tag info. dir2ogg might also be a solution for you. Also in apt. Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
HK-47
Titel: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.08.2006, 00:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

thanks for the replies. i already use ogg for ripping now. i guess it's better to just leave the rest of my collection alone.

Gowator
Titel: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 16:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
HK-47 hat folgendes geschrieben::
thanks for the replies. i already use ogg for ripping now. i guess it's better to just leave the rest of my collection alone.

I agree but amarkok does have a plugin that coverts whole playlists... Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Cuddles
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 13:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jul 2004
HK-47,

Just a thought...

I used to store my ripped CD's, bought and paid for, to just .wav - first, didnt have much space, it took too much storage, and not that many songs...

I then moved to ogg format, which was fine, until I got a MP3 Player, and found it doesnt have a clue what to do with a ogg format song...

So, I re-did every song I had, over to mp3 - the result was the mp3's took more space, but, I could play them with my player....

Moral Of The Story:

Use whatever format you need, and not so much what you want, or like.

PS: that whole "re-rip" process took weeks to complete ( twice, wav to ogg, then wav to mp3 ), not to mention all the fine tuning I had to do with the mp3 tags - some worked in the player, others refused to display anything BUT the file name. This process was done for more than 300 complete CD's, and yes, I did it twice.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Yahoo Messenger  
titan
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 13:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
Cuddles hat folgendes geschrieben::
HK-47,

I then moved to ogg format, which was fine, until I got a MP3 Player, and found it doesnt have a clue what to do with a ogg format song...

There are loads of MP3 players that now play ogg. I just bought this one for my daughter
www.samsung.com/Products/MP3Player/MP3P ... JQBXAA.asp

Ripped some of her CDs to ogg and loaded them via Amarok very simple.

Ian

The_Seeker
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 14:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Feb 2006
If you're ever in the market for a new audio player, take a look at the iAudio X5. I've had one for a few months and I'm more than happy with it.

It supports many formats (ogg, FLAC etc) and works flawlessly with Linux as it's simply seen as an external HDD. It's just a matter of dragging and dropping your songs from your file manager of choice.

Cuddles
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 14:27 Uhr

Titan & The Seeker,

I just bought mine a few weeks past, a nice Sansa E250 (sanDisk)... It just plugs into a USB port, and "pop!" a konq window shows up with complete folders for loading... Amazing the modern technology!

What gets me, is, that Windows needs all those "support" programs, and "loading" software to do the same thing???? Bout the only thing I use the "Install" Disc for, is, the user manual, and, most of the time, everything is intuitive, so its not even needed Smilie Sweet! Sehr glücklich

Got to admit, I think I bet on the right horse, when I moved to Kanotix, over Windows... Those stupid install discs can be used as wall art or coasters now... Cant imagine why Kanotix, or Debian, isnt more popular... We do "plug 'n' play" far better than Windows does... Kanotix = plug device in, and go -=- Windows = plug device in, install drivers, install / change configs, reboot, register software, possibly reboot again, then, go... <--- thats "plug 'n' play" ?

Oh well, will have to keep in mind the next time I buy a mp3 player, selection Smilie

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 20:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
Cuddles hat folgendes geschrieben::
Titan & The Seeker,

We do "plug 'n' play" far better than Windows does... Kanotix = plug device in, and go -=- Windows = plug device in, install drivers, install / change configs, reboot, register software, possibly reboot again, then, go... <--- that's "plug 'n' play" ?

I had forgoten about all the rebooting until I installed it over vmware. Installed dvdfabs - even that required a reboot.

Turned off file indexing -- reboot.

Installedd the new media player -- reboot

Fortunately it was a lot easier to simply delete the vmware images.

(off topic - my spell check tries to correct vmware as vampire Auf den Arm nehmen )

Cuddles
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Converting my collection to ogg  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 21:09 Uhr

jackiebrown,

Lachen LOL Lachen too funny! I tend to not have a spell-checker running, thus, I get typos and misspells - he he he

Back to topic... I remember very fondly, all the reboots... used to program with VB, shessh... With the reboots because of the memory leaks, that, and testing, and compiling, etc... then ya get to install... Amazing the OS stayed up for a few hours. In fact, I dont recall, with installs, security updates, patches, and my own programming work, the system ever going more than a day, without some "mandatory" reboot, but, then again, its the popular OS Frage

Oh well

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.