28.03.2024, 16:05 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
w1av
Titel: Help with "fromiso" setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 15:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Okt 2005
I am trying to set up to be able to boot from an ISO according to the instructions on the FAQ here on Kanotix website.
I just want to see if it works. I first need to know, does the ISO have to be on its OWN PARTITION? If so I probably can't do it unless I use a logical partition because my HDD already has 4 primary partitions.
Anyway, what I did was copy the KANOTIX-2006-Easter-RC4.iso, along with its miniroot.gz & vmlinuz files just like instructions say. Only The files & ISO are in a separate folder in my /home directory. Not in a separate dedicated partition.
I have edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to give me the option to boot from ISO.
When I re boot, after GRUB screen comes up, I see my choice for booting from ISO. When I choose it, everything looks good till it stops and says it cannot find file system and dropping me to a very limited shell.
I have the ISO and the vmlinuz & miniroot files here: /home/bob/Kanotix
So is that the problem why it can find file system? Here is my GRUB entry:

###ISO Boot
title Kanotic Easter rc4 ISO
kernel (hd0,1)/home/bob/Kanotix/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=en
apm=power-off nomce quiet fromiso=/home/bob/Kanotix/KANOTIX-2006-Easter-RC4.iso noprompt noeject
initrd (hd0,1)/home/bob/Kanotix/miniroot.gz

It seems to me what I have should work. The files are on my FIRST HDD, on SECOND partition. Is there something wrong with my PATHS to the files? It seems everything is pointing in the proper place.

I copied the ISO directly from a download, not from anything off a CD image.
I hope this is detailed enough. I have a funny feeling it has to do with not using a separate partition! PLEASE HELP! Geschockt Geschockt

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: RE: Help with "fromiso" setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 19:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Zitat:
I have a funny feeling it has to do with not using a separate partition!
You're right, that's the reason why it's not going to work. The partition on which the iso file is located is mounted "read only". Of course, the root partition has to be "read/write", and that's where it stops.

But this doesn't mean you have to have a dedicated partition for the iso file. Any partition except your / or home partition will do, even a FAT32 or NTFS partition. Ideally, you copy the iso file to your NTFS WinXP partition because it will be mounted "read only" anyway.

w1av
Titel: no luck  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 22:53 Uhr

Hello....well I tried every combination of settings and paths all to no avail. I guess I need to use a dedicated partition for this. I tried moving the ISO & the 2 files to my fat32 partition (hda4) and that didnt work. I keep getting "file system not found" error and it happens right after it searches for a cdrom....it scrolls fast thru a list and crashes. Maybe because its an iso9660 file and is only able to boot from a cdrom drive???
Why does it not find file system when its right under its nose???? The iso file is right there! With its 2 files, miniroot and vmlinuz. Maybe my path was wrong....it is /media/hda4/Kanotix.......thats what I tried in menu.lst.
I tried everything. OK any other suggestions welcome! Traurig

ockham23
Titel: RE: no luck  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 23:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Make sure you use the correct file paths for grub:

### ISO boot
title Kanotix 32bit from ISO
kernel (hd0,4)/Kanotix/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=en apm=power-off nomce quiet fromiso=/Kanotix/KANOTIX*.iso noprompt noeject
initrd (hd0,4)/Kanotix/miniroot.gz

pcalvert
Titel: Re: Help with "fromiso" setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 04:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Sep 2006

w1av hat folgendes geschrieben::
I am trying to set up to be able to boot from an ISO according to the instructions on the FAQ here on Kanotix website.
I just want to see if it works. I first need to know, does the ISO have to be on its OWN PARTITION? If so I probably can't do it unless I use a logical partition because my HDD already has 4 primary partitions.

It doesn't need to be on a primary partition.

Zitat:

Anyway, what I did was copy the KANOTIX-2006-Easter-RC4.iso, along with its miniroot.gz & vmlinuz files just like instructions say. Only The files & ISO are in a separate folder in my /home directory. Not in a separate dedicated partition.

I'm not sure if putting it in your home directory is such a good idea. Do you have another partition that doesn't have a /boot directory on it?

Zitat:

I have edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to give me the option to boot from ISO.
When I re boot, after GRUB screen comes up, I see my choice for booting from ISO. When I choose it, everything looks good till it stops and says it cannot find file system and dropping me to a very limited shell.

What is the filesystem on that partition?

Phil

Richard
Titel: RE: Re: Help with "fromiso" setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 15:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
This setup works for me.

contents of /opt/Kanotix:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 702705664 Aug 23 20:58 KANOTIX-2006-RC4.iso
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 1440956 May 12 21:52 miniroot.gz
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 2352277 May 14 06:36 vmlinuz
/opt/Cpx is the same form.

pertinent sections of /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title KANOTIX-Easter-2OO6-RC4.iso
kernel (hd0,7)/Kanotix/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet fromiso=/Kanotix/KANOTIX*.iso vga=791 noprompt noeject keyboard=es xkeyboard=es
initrd (hd0,7)/Kanotix/miniroot.gz

title KANOTIX-2005-04-CPX-MINI-3.iso
kernel (hd0,7)/Cpx/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet fromiso=/Cpx/KANOTIX*.iso vga=791 noprompt noeject keyboard=es xkeyboard=es
initrd (hd0,7)/Cpx/miniroot.gz

saludos.

Richard
Titel: RE: Re: Help with "fromiso" setup  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 15:39 Uhr

And, a related, more important question:
Which portion of the FAQ were you reading that wasn't clear?

Richard.

w1av
Titel: working....sort of  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 15:57 Uhr

Hi Richard....Well about the only way I could get it to work was to copy the contents of what was on my live cd, as well as the .iso file and the vmlinuz and miniroot files.....If I used just the .iso, miniroot and vmlinuz I kept getting filesystem not found errors. I thought for the hell of it, I would copy the actual files off an already burned cd and when I re booted, saw my menu choice and selected it, the fromiso worked. I still dont understand what I did to make it work. All I know is the files off a previously burned kanotix cd copied with the other files worked.
My main problem is now the computer will not shut down!!!! If I choose to log off & shut down, it won't. Also I want to save my configuration so I dont have to re do it every time. Can I do this in menu.lst? There is no place to type in cheat codes or any way to access my saved config file. Any comments welcome! Überrascht

w1av
Titel: confusion  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 16:06 Uhr

Hi Richard...forgot to mention this. What had me confused was what EXACTLY do I need as far as .ISO? A downloaded ISO from the Kanotix website or the IMAGE that is burned to a CD. If I just used this ISO:

KANOTIX-2006-RC4-Easter.iso and also the 2 files "vmlinuz" and "miniroot" I could not get anything to work, and I kept getting "cannot find file system" error.
BUT when I copied the 2 folders "boot" and "knoppix" off a previously burned CD, and put those folders with my .iso and vmlinuz/miniroot, everything worked for some reason. So I have no clue.
Next I have to figure out how to make the thing shut down properly and try to save config file and be able to access it at boot time.

Richard
Titel: RE: confusion  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 16:24 Uhr

"...what EXACTLY do I need as far as .ISO? A downloaded ISO from the Kanotix website or the IMAGE that is burned to a CD."

They are one and the same.

"get anything to work, and I kept getting "cannot find file system" error."

I got this error also until I got the paths correct in the menu.lst. Compare yours
closely with the ones I posted. I know they work. And shut down as expected.

To get the Save Config to work, you have to remember
to add the cheatcode, myconfig=scan or something like that.
I usually just run it to fix something I broke and never remember to add the code.

Richard.

Richard
Titel: RE: confusion  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 16:30 Uhr

and remember that this is all on one line:
kernel (hd0,7)/Cpx/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet fromiso=/Cpx/KANOTIX*.iso vga=791 noprompt noeject keyboard=es xkeyboard=es

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.