19.03.2024, 04:35 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.08.2006, 02:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
turtaf hat folgendes geschrieben::

Uh, for sure a kanotix request I have is kerry-beagle, in order to have beagle working and well integrated on kde. I'd use it a lot

cheers

kerry beagle hit the sid repos about 2 days ago Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Paul.G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.08.2006, 23:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006

H2,

Msttcorefonts can be redistributed, only not for profit and with a little pruning of multiple redundant programs there'd be plenty of space on the 2 Gb+ of compressed data for a lightweight desktop like XFCE.

Engage functions fine by itself and as a far as I know doesn't need all of E17. Here's an example: http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/index.html

Fonts and Engage/E17 are two of the biggest single subject threads on Kanotix and so are not unimportant even to the existing user base.

Lastly, the answer to all of your questions and the best motivation for both market and voluntary productivity is 'satisfied users'.

slh
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2006, 00:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

msttcorefonts cannot be distributed as part of another product like Kanotix for legal reasons. h2 has answered the rest "there is not enough room to have another windows manager in the cdrom", additionally xfce depends on gamin which has proven itself to be a ressource hog. Since all software packages are constantly growing, you'd have to show us how to free up twice as much as you'd need for your favourite package - and even then we'd probably prefer getting Kanotix smaller and to implement more features instead of adding yet another desktop environment - 703 MB is a fixed size.

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2006, 02:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
I'd like to see support for Intel GMA 900/950 3d acceleration.

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 14:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
additionally xfce depends on gamin which has proven itself to be a ressource hog.

Then it would be a logical consequence to *not* use gamin with Kanotix and instead put libfam on the CD. I really would appreciate that.

Maybe you could add a script (kdialog?) that prods the user to take notice of some additional programs/packages not included. I think e.g. of anacron, synaptic, msttcorefonts and postfix. There could be a short explanation why it is not included ("not enough space", "makes no sense on a live-cd", "license problem") and why it would make sense to install those packages when installing Kanotix to HD. Then the user could choose which of these packages he/she wants to add to the installation.

Why? Mostly because not every user who has downloaded Kanotix was using it before and not everyone is familiar with the available and useful packages.

edit:
Oh, and a very profane yet annoying thing (no package request but request for the next Kanotix version): When upgrading to a new kernel the menu.lst entry always is much too long for the grub menu which doesn't look very good. So I suggest renaming the first entry in the grub menu to "Kanotix kernel....." instead of "Debian GNU/Linux kernel...". It also is more - well, Kanotix like.

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Zuletzt bearbeitet von spacepenguin am 20.08.2006, 15:22 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 15:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

@ Daniele

perl -pi -e 's/#*\s*(deb.*debian experimental)/\1/' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-i810 libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri -t experimental
perl -pi -e 's/#*\s*(deb.*debian experimental)/#\1/' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get updatel

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 13:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Paul, I can answer some of these:

Also, keep in mind that free projects like these do not necessarily benefit from expanding their user bases too far. Unlike mepis or ubuntu, which are both essentially commercial distros using debian derived sources, kanotix is currently a fully free distro, in the spirit of debian, not ubuntu. Who supports the larger user base? Who pays the extra server fees? Who supplies the bandwidth required? Who supports the newbie users on the forums or irc? And why? These are questions worth asking before suggesting that expanding user base to less tech savy users is a desirable project.

I pretty much see that and I have the opinion that when you introduce a noobie then you should take responsibility for them in some ways.

Remember that in many ways you are doing the noobie a favor ... not kanotix..be prepared to acts as 1st line support for them and such.

Perhaps its possible to organise this part a little more? but who? Its not a good use of dev time organising that so it should fall to the "intermediate" users who want to introduce others?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.08.2006, 14:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
@ Daniele

perl -pi -e 's/#*\s*(deb.*debian experimental)/\1/' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-i810 libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri -t experimental
perl -pi -e 's/#*\s*(deb.*debian experimental)/#\1/' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get updatel

Thanks Kano Sehr glücklich

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.09.2006, 02:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

A working version of digiKam 0.9.0 Beta 1 (or the current beta or rc when the next Kanotix or Kanotix RC is released), along with the new digikam plugins beta.

Poor support for 16 bit image editing is a big problem with Linux, especially since Digital SLR models are the most rapidly growing market segment with Digital Camera purchasers and more users are shooting raw now, and this new version of digiKam supports 16 bit editing (finally).

It's in Debian Experimental. But, it doesn't actually work with raw files if you install it by forcing the version in Synapticc. The demos on the digiKam web show it working with raw files (inluding files from some of the cameras I tried with it). But, no go with the package from Debian Experimental (works with jpeg OK though).

So, my assumption is that something is wrong with the packages (or compatibility using them with 2006-easter-rc4 due to some kind of dependency issues).

A reasonably up to date version of dcraw.c would be a good idea, too. Ditto for the Gimp plugin.

The versions of dcraw.c in most Linux repositories are shamefully out of date, especially since new camera models are added very often. Most Linux repositories are stuck at around 7.94 (when Dave's latest version is already up to 8.38 ).

You can't just wait 6 or 8 months after a new camera is introduced to start supporting it in current Linux distros and repositories if you want to attract users of newer digital cameras.

The most requested application for Linux is Photoshop according to surveys performed by Novell. As bad as existing tools in Linux are for image editing, I can understand why.

But, it looks like progress is being made with some of the tools available for Linux now, if Linux distros would only include them.

Yes, users could compile this stuff from source themselves. But, if you want to attract users to Linux, these types of tools need to be included (or at least easily installable from packages in repositories).

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.09.2006, 08:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Jim,

I fully agree with you here - alternatives to most wanted applications in Linux should be up-to-date. However, we depend on Debian maintainers here, in order to beware system consistency. So, best idea would be to communicate your wishes and thoughts directly to the responsible maintainers:

Code:
apt-cache show digikam|grep Maintainer
Maintainer: Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>
apt-cache show dcraw|grep Maintainer
Maintainer: Steve King <debian@twobit.demon.co.uk>

You might probably even being able to assist them with testing, and speeding up the process of integration that way.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.09.2006, 04:11 Uhr

You're right Slam. It's not really a Kanotix issue, and I realize you guys try to stay tied as closely to Debian as possible.

I'll send an e-mail to the package maintainers and try to make a case for why these types of packages need to be kept up to date.

They may not be aware of it (although it seems to me if someone has volunteered to maintain a package, they'd actually keep it relatively up to date).

I saw the same thing with packages like HPLIP last year (most repositories were *WAY* out of date, even though HP provides newer tools and drivers for Linux.

That seems to be improving with Debian now. I see relatively current versions of HPLIP and related packages.

It looks like Ubuntu and SimplyMEPIS are falling behind again now though (the latest version of HPLIP is 7 versions behind in their repositories).

Some of the Slackware based distros are now 10 versions behind with HPLIP modules (for example modules available for Slax). lol

I've been looking at lighter distros lately to try and find one my wife might like, and most of them don't seem to keep something as basic as newer printer drivers and related tools up to date, even when the printer manufacturer provides them.

So, if I had to buy new printer tomorrow, it might be difficult to find one that actually works with a lot of distros without compiling from source (espcially a multi-function type printer that you want to use for printing and scanning). Stores don't stock the old ones anymore. Smilie

Debian seems to be trying to keep them up to date lately though, and tools like the HPLIP toolbox let you align heads, clean nozzles, etc., without the need to use Windows.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.09.2006, 07:43 Uhr

slam hat folgendes geschrieben::
Jim,

I fully agree with you here - alternatives to most wanted applications in Linux should be up-to-date. However, we depend on Debian maintainers here, in order to beware system consistency. So, best idea would be to communicate your wishes and thoughts directly to the responsible maintainers

I now see dcraw.c 8.23 in the repositories. So, the maintainer must have updated it. I was just checking the version to see if it had changed from dcraw 7.94 before sending an e-mail, and was surprised to see 8.23 in the repositories.

I also have digiKam 0.9.0 Beta 1 RC1 (and the new beta digikamplugins) working fine under Kanotix 2006-01-RC1, including proper rendering of raw files, after forcing the versions with Synaptic (getting it from Debian Experimental).

On the surface, I can see a *huge* improvement when making edits in 16 bit mode (gets around the posterization problems I was seeing with digiKam 0.8.2). It doesn't appear to default to 16 bit editing. So, it could use a bit of tweaking to reduce the number of steps a user needs to make to get better images.

It also does not appear to support the as shot white balance information from the camera, even though it's supported by dcraw.c. Instead, it always defaults to a specific color temperature.

This could end up being a show stopper for a lot of photographers that shoot in raw and use custom white balance settings (or even those that want an editor to be aware of how the camera's auto white balance saw a scene).

One of the most important considerations for many photographers is how well a raw converter supports the camera's white balance settings (which are basically rgb multipliers to compensate for the temperature of the lighting), and digiKam does not appear to support this when shooting in raw (even though dcraw.c does). So, you'd have to set the color temperature manually with it for each photo (or try to read the temperature from a photo of a white or gray card taken in the same lighting to set it).

I'll try to spend some time in it and give some feedback to the developer. But, it appears to have made a lot of progress, especially now that you can edit in 16 bit mode, based on a few quick tests.

Paul.G
Titel: Search is over  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 01:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006

One reason I have stopped posting/complaining is, after months of searching, I've stopped looking for an XP replacement - I have found everything in Kanotix Debian based DreamLinux: http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... dreamlinux

I found it before it went into the Distrowatch top 20 over the last 30 days.

My wife, a computer beginner, actually asked for it in preference to XP and has been using it with no problems for the last several weeks.

Everything I have sought by way of font appearance, Engage dock, best/most useable software, lean fast operation and stylish appearance is built in as standard.

For Jim C and others - fonts this time are very good with AA on and even better by choosing 'slight' Hinting instead of 'full'. Thick, solid and no blur. I use that in combination with the 'Piranha' window theme for a professional appearance. It takes 30 seconds and that's it.

Graphics stuff built in includes Gimpshop, GTKam, Xara LX, Inkscape, Picasa and others. IPods, video/DVDs and cameras just work.

But it's not for geeks - until they come home and want to relax.

So, thanks Kanotix for the excellent base - maybe you'll incorporate some suggestions in future so I can use the whole thing? Don't let the cosy-clique elite geeks take over! Pride drives them to volunteer to create over complicated, inefficient, stuff that outsiders can't use or understand. Valid and obvious criticism can then be dismissed as being from ignoramuses - it was the same 25 years ago when I started programming. Besides, there are already enough roll-your-own tech distros - why should Kanotix only try to be the best of those?

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.