28.03.2024, 15:24 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
aking469
Titel: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.09.2006, 03:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

Hey, just wanted everyone to know that I just set up Comcast cable internet service, everything works great. Their documentation is only for MS or OSX, but if you call the 1-800-# they will gladly assist. Had a great response from them....also from both of my Kanotix boxes....amazingly easy. I actually tried it from my XP partition....it didn't work. Rebooted into Kanotix, it hooked up w/o me doing anything....amazing. Yeeha, I am finally modern Sehr glücklich .

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
wh7qq
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.09.2006, 07:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jul 2005
My internet provider is a "last mile" wireless system for my remote location and the signal comes into my router from the antenna on my roof. It was a piece of cake to get Kanotix working...just did "Network Card Configuration" from the Kanotix menu and DHCP and it just worked! XP was a total pain in the rear to get working...had to go to a deeply embedded menu and do unspeakable things.

Kanotix rules!

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.09.2006, 13:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

netcardconfig is a great tool...be nice if other distros had a similar configuration tool that is as easy to use.

JimC
Titel: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.09.2006, 06:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

aking469 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hey, just wanted everyone to know that I just set up Comcast cable internet service, everything works great. Their documentation is only for MS or OSX, but if you call the 1-800-# they will gladly assist. Had a great response from them....also from both of my Kanotix boxes....amazingly easy. I actually tried it from my XP partition....it didn't work. Rebooted into Kanotix, it hooked up w/o me doing anything....amazing. Yeeha, I am finally modern Sehr glücklich .

Don't tell them you're using Linux. Winken

I'm not just kidding.

When I moved into our current home and the Comcast installers came out, they started to refuse to install their service because my wife's laptop was Windows '98. In my area, you don't get to hook up the modem yourself. They want their installers to do it.

When I told them that it was already working with Comcast with Win '98 before I moved to our current home, they finally agreed to do the install (reluctantly I might add, since I was really just moving and I pointed out that they allowed users of Win '98 when I started with them originally).

If I were using Linux at the time, I feel confident that those installers would have probably refused to even call in the MAC address for the cable modem and make sure it worked.

If you check their newest requirements (effective May 2004), you won't find Linux in the list (or Windows '98 either), and those installers were taking these requirements seriously in my area (or at least they were at the time my service was installed).

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/Fa ... hx?Id=2205

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.09.2006, 13:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::

When I moved into our current home and the Comcast installers came out, they started to refuse to install their service because my wife's laptop was Windows '98. In my area, you don't get to hook up the modem yourself. They want their installers to do it.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. My ISP is Adelphia which was recently bought by Comcast. When the offical change-over occurs they had better not try to pull some silly stunt like that or I'll be using DSL or satellite. Let the installer hook up the modem - I couldn't care less. My router takes it from there and I don't need a cable installer to tell me how to get a router working. Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jiro
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.09.2006, 01:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

relax... I have used Comcast a couple of years in a couple of houses and NEVER let them send installers to waste my time and theirs. providing you have a working cable TV connection, all Comcast needs to do is to input your MAC address into their system. i never install their software and never let them send an installer out. they want an installer to verify the signal is good (and because they think that all their customers are computer-helpless). i always refuse and tell them if i have a connection problem i will call them. the trick is to talk to their technical department and not to customer service. doesn't matter what system you're running (and i run linux, osx, and winxp) - all comcast needs is the MAC address

aking469
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.09.2006, 22:32 Uhr

Well, 13 Sep I went to Comcast's local office and picked up a cable modem (home installer kit) took it home and got it and things went swimmingly. I was up and running in no time. Wow....this thing is fast. Secondly, I then wen and got a Belking wireless router to set up wireless internet throughout the house. Wow...this is amazing. I then went and got a Belkin card for one of my desktops (5701 model), that didn't work in Linux. I took it back, (to Wal-mart), traded it for a 5700 model today, put it in...set up w/o incident. This is amazing. I did set the box up with the 5701 in Windows just to see, it was not as easy nor as clear. This has been a great experience. I had trouble with the cable modem at first. Called Comcast's help line. The guy I taked to was pro-Linux, very knowledgable, and determined the problem was the splitters in my cable lines. Cant say enough about Comcast or Belkin....and Kanotix...things are going great. Thanks again to all the team members for all of their hard work.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.09.2006, 03:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
I visited comcast forums a couple of days ago and they have a section for linux users. They say they will support the community but can not train their reps in all of the different distros etc. That was from the sticky in the forum. Understandable to me. I was using XP when I got the cable modem. They had to string wire to my house. TV is on Directv (satellite). I let them do 'their magic' to get up and running. They knew how to do what they were taught and that was all. I know there is no software installed on my computer. I reformatted and reinstalled a couple of days later. Have added a router, new computer (this linux box) and a laptop and another desktop. No software for Comcast anywhere. And it all works.

John

aking469
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.09.2006, 04:12 Uhr

Jbs1136, wow...didn't think to check the comcast forums, duh. But, I am glad that your are up and running so successfully. Ain't high-speed grand???

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.09.2006, 06:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
That it is!! Hope to never have to go back.

John

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Re: Comcast  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.09.2006, 02:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

and dialup sure is so glacially slow nowadays...a 56K modem is like a snail when trying to download all those flashy graphics on most typical websites! broadband is the way to go Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.