19.04.2024, 20:40 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
sk11
Titel: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 00:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Aug 2006

A while ago, in Europe, MS took a bit of stick from authorities in the form of fines for their monopolistic practises. One way of discouraging the MS monopoly and dealing with the poor choice available to customers would be to allow linux distros, e.g. ubuntu, knoppix, etc., to place live cds in computer stores. It would make sense for the anti-monopoly authorities to encourage stores to allow direct access to such things to customers in the spirit of ensuring (attempting) healthy competition?

What do you think, could such a milestone be accomplished, it does make sense after all? Is there a good case based on legal grounds?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
turbowsr
Titel: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 01:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Sep 2006

I believe that is a great idea. Either actual distro CD's or a kiosk to burn your own. (Have a harddrive containing liveCD distros, someway to stay updated of course) You pay a few $$ to have your CD burned. But there would have to be a way to encourage a newbie to burn YOUR DISTRO.
None the less, I would like to see Distro's on the shelfs.

sk11
Titel: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 01:52 Uhr

I should have mentioned that the ubuntu cds would be free, other distros shouldn't be more than a couple of pounds/euros/dollars. But the presence of the free ubuntu cds is the main attraction and method of alleviating the monopoly. Customers/noobs simply pick up their free os and software cd called ubuntu from a bin next to the computers, what could be more simpler than that? Just a bin with a large free software here sign.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 08:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Is it possible to buy a PC without Windows installed (without putting one together yourself). Would I have the right to demand a PC has Windows removed and a reduction in price? I don't think so. This seems to be the monopoly problem not the availability of alternatives.

turbowsr
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 14:38 Uhr

I don't know about Europe, but yes, PC's without windows can be bought. Tigerdirect.com is one source, and Newegg.com. Those are the two from which I usually purchase. I believe Tigerdirect.com has Linspire as an alternative, but No OS is also available.

As far as home users go, is there a stigmata about getting a free OS. I know several people that would not take a free OS from a store, in belief that if its FREE, its no good. This is mostly U.S., but put $399 on the cd, then they'll buy it. ""It must be good if its that high"" Smilie
Us Americans have a strange way at looking at price, cost, value. (I don't mean everyone of us, but look at the sales for gas guzzling SUV's in U.S. vs diesel auto's in Europe.)

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 15:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Zitat:
... what could be more simpler than that? Just a bin with a large free software here sign.

The most easy way is usually not the best one. If we offer free of charge CDs that way, they will go from bin to bin (waste bin). If you want the people to understand that something is valuable and important, you don't give it away for free. The better way would be to give education to those slaves working there, because that would enable them to give better advice and increase their value on the work force market. They should afterwards offer those CDs to the people buying a PC - and there is no need to give them away for nothing. I would prefer to charge, and split the money equally between shop owner, employee and the team who created the Linux distro.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
turbowsr
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 15:33 Uhr

Exactly, Chris.

piper
Titel: Re: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 18:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
sk11 hat folgendes geschrieben::
I should have mentioned that the ubuntu cds would be free, other distros shouldn't be more than a couple of pounds/euros/dollars. But the presence of the free ubuntu cds is the main attraction and method of alleviating the monopoly. Customers/noobs simply pick up their free os and software cd called ubuntu from a bin next to the computers, what could be more simpler than that? Just a bin with a large free software here sign.

Well to be honest, Kanotix and thousands of others are FREE also.

Ubuntu, no comment and would be my last choice. There are thousands much better than the Ub.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
turbowsr
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 18:52 Uhr

It's not so much because they are free. Once the distro website is found, usually there is a lot of information about the distro there. But when you walk into a large chain computer store, and there are free cds, I think that they would be overlooked as some promo for the store.
Once I was requested by work to pick up as many Free cd's of AOL and W-Mart online. My manager wanted to hang them up outside to scare off birds Smilie. I would really hate to see any Linux's done this way.
But if there were a kiosk, like an ATM, that you could insert your own cd-r or purchase one, then have it burn the Linux of your choice. Maybe just a few $$(This is american economy, I am ignorant of other countries economy, maybe a few is too much, but that should be supply/demand price). If your techy/geeky enough to know which distro you want, then just do a search, retrieve it. If you have no idea why your standing in front of an OS kiosk, then a series of questions that narrow down the distro list, something similar to distrowatch.com.
I would like to see the price put back to the community. i.e. If one were to choose Kanotix at $5, then the store could make $1, the cost to cover the kiosk(such at net connection, cdr's, etc) could be $1, then $2 to Kanotix team, $1 left to an Open Source community "charity".
There could be small demos when you click on an icon for a distro. The demo would be a short movie about the distro, maybe some interaction. It would be the Napster(or itunes) of Linux of a kiosk machine:) There could be a rating system to help choose.
It would mostly be to showcase great Linux, *BSD, etc. *nix's, to a world of people unfamiliar with anything but MS. But also allow those without fast connections a place to get their fix of *nix.

sk11
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 18:59 Uhr

Alright, how about it gets offered free with each computer purchase, retail value of 5 (gbp/euros/dollars)?

Zitat:
Kanotix and thousands of others are FREE also.

Ubuntu isn't the best linux OS, it just has deeper pockets than most; they mail free cds. Aren't they headed by some billionaire, they put quite a bit of money into promos like billboard ads and such?

[snob]Oh and in another thread teh uber l337 h4X0r kanotix users don't want noobs using their precious OS, it's like some secret society or something, so best not let the plebs get hold of kanotix live cds, who knows what sort of riff-raff might end up in here![/snob] :shrug:

slam
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 20:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
There are different strategies to deal with the gap between more and less knowledge:

1) People with less knowledge are stupid and deserve their fait - just forget them.
2) People with less knowledge are dangerous - stay away from them.
3) People with less knowledge are probably clever at different topics - explore that.
4) People with less knowledge just need some help to fill the gap and be partners.
5) People with higher knowledge are stupid and just hide behind it - stay away from them.
6) People with higher knowledge are dangerous - kill them.
7) People with higher knowledge are interesting - learn from them.
8) People with higher knowledge have also problems - let's help them.

Well, take your choice. And let me add: sarcasm actually has no relation to humor - only the people using it may find it funny. The secret of this very community is tolerance and interest in others, there is nothing hidden.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
turbowsr
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Live cds in computer stores.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 23:50 Uhr

I forgot about PC purchase. Yes, a Linux distro should be offered, but discounted not paying for XP.

ROFL, slam.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.