29.03.2024, 15:57 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
vees
Titel: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.10.2006, 21:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jan 2006

I am a total wireless newbie and ignoramus. I purchased a D-Link DWL-G122 802.11g Wireless G USB adapter which is supposed to work with Debian based distros using something called prism2.

Can anyone give me a few pointers as to how to use this adapter with Kanotix? What should I use to configure it to run on a public wireless network like at a Starbucks Cafe (I do not have wireless at home)

Many thanks for any pointers (-: including RTFMs - just tell me what to read :-).

Many thanks in advance,

VS

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mdmarmer
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 01:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Mar 2006
Which revision of this wireless card do you have?

Revision b1 and c1 have Ralink chipset, should work with rt2500 driver included with Kanotix

Revision a1 has Prism chipset

If these don't work, you can try ndiswrapper with Windows drivers.

lspci -vv
lsusb
should give more info

Mike

Zuletzt bearbeitet von mdmarmer am 14.10.2006, 00:28 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Kano
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 01:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

prism2 is only for 11mbit cards. I expect you need the win driver together with ndiswrapper.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
kelmo
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.10.2006, 07:53 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
Yes, prism based usb adapters are NOT supported natively in kanotix (there exist very alpha quality linux drivers), contrary to what has been said by mdmarmer.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
vees
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.10.2006, 19:30 Uhr

Hi friends,

The version of my adapter is H/W version b.1 F/W version 2.02.

Here is what happens in /var/log/syslog when I connect my adapter:

Oct 12 13:56:00 KanotixBox kernel: usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
Oct 12 13:56:01 KanotixBox kernel: idVendor = 0x2001, idProduct = 0x3c00
Oct 12 13:56:01 KanotixBox kernel: usbcore: registered new driver rtusb
Oct 12 13:56:02 KanotixBox kernel: rausb0 (WE) : Driver using old /proc/net/wireless support, please fix driver !

Any ideas as to what that means?

Thanks in advance,

V

gs
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.10.2006, 21:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

I have the same DLink usb-Adapter.
You do no tell us which Kanotix you are using.
Here, with KANOTIX-2006-01RC4 I can install the adapter using Kmenu-KANOTIX-networking-netcarconfig - a dialogue opens which offers to configure the adapter which is called wireless device followed by RT2500USBSTA. If you select this, a menu opens asking questions - I have only to insert two anwers as to my essid which is the name of the DSL Router, Fritzbox in my case, and channel, which you will find looking into your Router. The other questions you can just leave empty and continue with "enter"
There are threads in the forum decribing in more detail how to go about installing the DLink-G122-Adapter, find them either by using the search function of the forum or within the FAQ...

vees
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.10.2006, 13:03 Uhr

I use Kanotix 2005-4 and I did not find any info about my adapter in this forum Traurig

Any other suggestions?

V

gs
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.10.2006, 19:04 Uhr

I had the DWL-G122 working with Kanotix-2005-04, too - did what I described above to get it running.
If you click forum - search - DWL-G122 you will get at least 6 postings on the subject, although mostly in German.
There were earlier posts on this subject, maybe to be found in the archives...
If you do not succeed, post once more and I will try to compose a step-by-step howto for you

gs
Titel: RE: need pointers to configure USB wireless adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.10.2006, 21:28 Uhr

@vees: I just had some time and wrote you a cookbook on getting the DWL-G122 to work

Zitat:

This is an HOWTO for getting the DLink-G122 usb-wlan-adapter to work with Kanotix - presently KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 with kernel 2.6.18-kanotix-2 on a Siemens-Fujitsu Scenic X100 PC (I had it also working with Kanotix-2005-04-LITE some time ago). I use a Fritz!box DSL as a router with DHCP

lsusb

BUS 004 DEVICE 003: ID 2001:3C00 D-LINK CORP. [HEX] DWL-G122 802.11G REV. B1 [RALINK]
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

1.insert the stick and in a konsole type "lsusb" - you should see something like the above, telling that you are using rev. B1 (ralink) of the DWL-G122 (btw I never got rev C1 going,-kanotix frooze every time)
2. click on K-menu -KANOTIX-network/internet-configure netcard (the English text may slightly differ - I am translating from German)
3.a menu will open showing, in my case, my onboard netcard as eth0 and the wlan-stick as eth1 (I recall that with Kanotix-2005-04 it was something like rausb0). Select the wlan-stick, type enter
4.you will be asked to fill in information on mode- type "managed", channel, 6 in my case and essid, Fritzbox in my case.and WEP-key.I find this information looking into my DSL-modem/router which is a Fritz!box - should be similar if you use another gadget. The final question where I say yes is whether you want the stick to connect when booting.
5.By now the stick should show a small green light and you can try to check with your browser whether it will connect to the internet
6. Sometimes I have to reboot to get the stick to connect, but try, before you do this, in a konsole "dhclient": if you are using DHCP: the stick should light up and connect.
7. With iwconfig you can check whether everything is configured alright.....

good luck!

vees
Titel: can you reccommend a good USB/PCMCIA wireless adapter/card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 18:55 Uhr

gs,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to write this howto for me - thanks a lot! It turns out that this howto ended up being very useful for me though, alas, in a bad sense: it confirmed to me that my device was broken Traurig

I ordered it of the Amazon "warehouse deals" webiste as "new - refurbished" with a one year guarantee and a 30 days no questions asked return. I soon found out that the USB extension craddlew as shorted (tail -f /var/log/messages showed that immediately), but at least I hope that the adapter itself would work. I tried with Kanotix, of course, but also with a FreeBSD variant called Frenzy and with Damn Small Linux and in all three cases the adapter proved to me fried. So while I will get my money back, I am also back to step one: choosing a USB or PCMCIA wireless adapter/card which would work "out-of-the-box" and "no-questions-asked" in public places (not at home where I do not have any wireless).

Any reccomendations?

Thanks again,

VS

PS: I will be using Kanotix 2005-4 on an old laptop with USB1.1 ports.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.