19.03.2024, 02:33 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
turbowsr
Titel: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 02:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Sep 2006

Here's the story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061004/ap_ ... N5bmNhdA--

Being the richest, largest, monopolistic, corporation just isn't enough, they are soooo mad because they loose millions to piracy.

Anybody remember Lars Ulrich of Metallica, remember he spoke out against piracy of music by downloading from ol' Napster. Did you know, afterwards, Metallica's record sales bombed?!!

Here's a brilliant sales strategy:
Make a half-a$$ attempt developing software.
Sell if for 100x's more than its worth (Vista $99 for barebones to $399 for pro)
Then make all the multimedia software free downloads on your site.
After no-one can afford the upgrade or new purchase and buys a pirated copy, b!tch about it and make it a hassle to the 90% others that have legitimate copies.

It's crazy, I have never read a report about GNU/Linux having problems with piracy. Smilie

Now if Microsoft would:
Sell new desktop distro of Vista for ~$20, I'd think about it, maybe even buy it for a toy.
Then sell Internet Explorer for ~$10, Media Player ~$10, etc.
This would allow other software builders a chance to put their software on Windows.

I'm not really a Microsoft basher, I just believe their business strategy is flawed. $$$$ is all they want to see. Not inovation, not quality, not performance.
MS should use the Wal-Mart strategy, sell it for so low a price that all competition cannot stay in business. (although free distro's of linux would be hard to beat.)

Zuletzt bearbeitet von turbowsr am 15.10.2006, 07:32 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
turbowsr
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 02:35 Uhr

edited

Zuletzt bearbeitet von turbowsr am 15.10.2006, 07:28 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Roughnecks
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 06:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
the problem is a psychological one. there is a market for expensive, low quality and complicated software. the market participants are/is for example your neighbour next door. he doesn't know about computers very much, just checks his emails every now and then and thinks microsoft outlook is the greatest email program in the world. he doesn't know about alternatives, he doesn't know that an operating system can be something else than windows. he thinks he is elite because he knows that you need a virus scanner and a firewall. and so on.
as long as there is demand, there will be supply.

the only way to fight MS is to tell people how stupid they are for buying MS software and show them alternatives - of course in a nice, helpful way.

turbowsr
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 17:04 Uhr

yup..agreed. That's what I tell everyone. "You paid how much for MS?!, I downloaded Kanotix for nothing, would you like a copy of Kanotix?!"

EDITED by piper
FIXED by turbowsr

Zuletzt bearbeitet von turbowsr am 06.10.2006, 00:49 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

piper
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 18:59 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Please, don't do that again

No Piracy here at the forums !!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Roughnecks
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 19:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
?

i guess he was refering to that he was downloading his OS (LINUX!) for free lol

turbowsr
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 22:21 Uhr

Piper,
You misunderstood me. I wasn't refering to getting MS for free, I was refering to downloading Kanotix. I should have been more clear.

I do not want to promote piracy.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von turbowsr am 15.10.2006, 07:29 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

piper
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 23:01 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Yes, you should have been more clear !!

What you wrote, did not look good

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
hubi
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.10.2006, 23:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Just to raise a question. I am totally against pirating software, and I assume MS really used their easy approach in the 90's for getting people hooked to their stuff.

On the other hand, I don't think, I am the only Linux user with a bunch of unused licences for various Windows versions, because I am only using one: my old w2k I bought in the box is still running in a vmware-environment on my desktop.

And again, a few weeks ago when I bought my Toshiba laptop, XP died before being booted, but the licence is there. The question remains: what to do with those licences? Sometimes I give one away to friends, just for free and get something else back.

If I just could count all the unused Windows licenses in the world ... would there still be piracy? Just a question.

hubi

turbowsr
Titel: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.10.2006, 00:46 Uhr

Piper,
What was edited was in quotes. It was not an offer for anything, I was quoting what I would say in conversation to an individual, such as a friend running/buying MS. I was meaning to make fun of them paying for MS, while I downloaded a free copy of an operating system (Kanotix, of course), and offered this imaginary individual a copy of such operating system (again, Kanotix).
That is why I put it in quotes, to simulate part of a conversation. There was no offer for free MS. But now looking back on what was typed, it was unclear.

Sorry it looked like promoting piracy, Piper.

hubi,
I wonder the same thing. I usually build my own PC's. I have 2 win98 (one full, one upgrade) bought off the shelf. Then I have XP home full, XP Pro full, and a couple OEM XP homes from computers bought for my wife and me. I even have 1 OEM of Media Center. I have all these, yet only have 4 systems. This one with Kanotix (a gateway originally w/XP Home), 1 returned for repair to Gateway (originally with the Media Center, but XP Pro installed), my wifes with OEM XP Home (This is hers, I just borrow it for things I can't find for Linux), my kids with the XP Home full. None of my 9x are being used.

This is not anykind of offer for any of the MS products, I was just conversing with Hubi about unused software. I am a packrat, so I would never get rid of them.

Speaking of license, ever read the EULA for Frontpage (MS web creator). It forbids using Frontpage to make webpages that criticizes MS.

hubi
Titel: Re: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix)  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.10.2006, 01:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
turbowsr hat folgendes geschrieben::
Speaking of license, ever read the EULA for Frontpage (MS web creator). It forbids using Frontpage to make webpages that criticizes MS.

That might not survive one court case, I suppose. But imho it reflects an attitude. And it reminds me of one urban legend, one FUD coming from people defending this company: if you use an open source word processor, your text has to be open source or unrestricted creative commons.

Weird, really weird that EULA - should start to read them for fun,
hubi

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Re: RE: HELP FIGHT MICROSOFT PIRACY!!!!!!!! (get kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2006, 06:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

I remember one time that Borland had an EULA that forbade using their compilers for creating operating systems or products that compete with Borland's products. Now that's chutzpah!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.