19.03.2024, 02:11 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
SentralOrigin
Titel: Partitioning  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 22:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Okt 2005
I used to use Acronis but I lost the package so I don't want to buy it again.
What can I use to boot up and delete my entire partition and only install Kanotix on it for free? Or does the Kanotix Live! CD include one that can delete my Windows and create a ReisferFS and LinuxSwap partition and format partitions?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 23:27 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
KANOTIX preview 2006-01-RC4 has gparted installed and can also partition ntfs, access via Kmenu>System
The live-cd has a mini how-to partion on it the full docs are at gparted

Your other great option is to get the GParted Live-CD its really tiny
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Dont forget to burn the ISOs "DAO"
"KANOTIX, as a Linux LIVE-CD, is based on high compression technology, (initially pioneered by Knoppix however its not the same as Knoppix) and because of that, special care is needed when burning the ISO image. Only use high quality CD-media [or DVD+RW] and burn in DAO-mode and not faster than x8.
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR DATA!"

and a Production Box, Desktop ICEWM::

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 23:42 Uhr

I will be using the stable LITE version. But thanks, I will use GParted

I have another question, about GParted:

I want to download the GParted USB version. Does that mean I can put GParted on my USB memory stick and "boot" it from that? Can I use an external HD as well? Auf den Arm nehmen

bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 23:54 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

The GParted chaps are good they even have a how-to install to a USB stick and it really pays off to have a good read of the documentation they have there, as partitioning is not something you do everyday

Dont forget if you run into something you dont quite get, come into IRC #kanotix

SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 00:09 Uhr

I'm using Windows XP Home SP2 so these instructions are easy but not for Windows:

Zitat:
(1) Create a fat16 partition on the usb stick and make sure it's flagged "boot".

(2) Unzip the gparted-liveusb-x.x.x-x.zip to your home folder or anywhere you like.

(3) Copy the CONTENTS of the gparted-liveusb-0.x.x-x folder to the fat16 partition you just created (sda1?).

(4) UMOUNT the usb stick and execute this command:

syslinux -s /dev/sda1

note: Your drive could be something else such as sdb1.

How would I do this on Windows? I can create a FAT32 partition on it but how do I make it bootable? (I don't have a floppy drive so I can't use a floppy disk, and I also don't have any spare CDs to use so I can't use the Live!CD)

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 01:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
You are working waaaay too hard. Simply boot Kanotix - it has gparted already on it! Winken It also has cfdisk a fabulous commandline partitioning application. Sure gparted from USB is cool but is it necessary?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 01:46 Uhr

Kanotix 2005-04-LITE includes GParted?

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 01:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

no it doens't if I remember right, but that's really too old to be using now.

Please don't be fooled by the term stable, it's deceptive, once you upgrade your 2005-4, which would probably give you some other problems, it's the same, well, it's actually more up to date, than 2006-1.

This seems to be a source of lingering confusion. Download latest, burn to disk using dao/sao, that has gparted on it, can't remember which version though, you want at least 0.3.1 because that has significantly improved resizing capacities.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 02:06 Uhr

So I should just get 2005-04?

bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 02:35 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Get 2006-01-RC4 the link is under Preview Release to your left

SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 04:29 Uhr

Okay, so I'm in Kanotix Live! and I click on K > System > GParted. But it asks me for a password which I can't access. What do I put as the password?

markb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 04:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Aug 2004
mzilikazi hat folgendes geschrieben::
It also has cfdisk a fabulous commandline partitioning application. Sure gparted from USB is cool but is it necessary?

Possibly like you, I've also only ever used cfdisk and have thought that it's simplicity was all that is required. However, I recently used gparted from 2006-01-RC4 to repartition, resize (including NTFS), reformat etc my new laptop and I must say that it is very good. I was never a fan of qtparted btw, and found it quite buggy. However it may be time now, with gparted, to finally go with a GUI partition editor? Smilie

gs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 05:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

password in live-CD: open konsole, type sudo passwd - enter password, enter password once more and you have a password for the present session...

markb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 07:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Aug 2004
or if you just want to run gparted immediately, open a konsole and type "sudo gparted".

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 13:46 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
markb hat folgendes geschrieben::

Possibly like you, I've also only ever used cfdisk and have thought that it's simplicity was all that is required. However, I recently used gparted from 2006-01-RC4 to repartition, resize (including NTFS), reformat etc my new laptop and I must say that it is very good. I was never a fan of qtparted btw, and found it quite buggy. However it may be time now, with gparted, to finally go with a GUI partition editor? Smilie

Gparted IS a great app - much better that it's QT cousin (much to the chagrin of the KDE lovers) but my installs are always done from text mode and I personally don't use NTFS for anything except 1 windows box @ work to which I am chained (but also paid to use). If you need to resize NTFS Gparted is definitely the way to go.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.