28.03.2024, 05:58 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
vilde
Titel: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 21:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Apr 2006

I installed Beryl and it works very well, but what for? Are there any real use for this or is it only for fun and eycandy with 3d "rubber" windows, some new keyboard shortcuts and new mouse features? Did I miss something or, I can't really find anywhere to read about the benefits so maybe I missed the point?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 21:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
I kind of use it like tabs in firefox, a mouse click and a spin to something I was working on or switching from forum to irc, not everyone likes it but some of us do Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
hey_ian
Titel: Re: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 22:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
vilde hat folgendes geschrieben::
I installed Beryl and it works very well, but what for? Are there any real use for this or is it only for fun and eycandy with 3d "rubber" windows, some new keyboard shortcuts and new mouse features? Did I miss something or, I can't really find anywhere to read about the benefits so maybe I missed the point?

Pure eyecandy. No real benefits.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Re: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 22:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
I like being able to move my mouse to the to right corner and get a look at everything running. Also the ability to move a program to a different screen is useful.

You can turn on or off as much effects as you want.

shame
Titel: Re: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 22:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Apr 2006
Zitat:
Pure eyecandy. No real benefits.

But it's the best waste of computer resources I know Sehr glücklich

vilde
Titel: RE: Re: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 23:54 Uhr

Yes I agree, after installing RC4 I feel that I have a faster KDE than before (I don't know if if thats because I cleared up my computer and did a new clean install or that the new Kanotix and or KDE is faster) , with Beryl it slowes down again. Beryl is special slow when I VNC my remote computer.

shame
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 00:10 Uhr

Probably depends on your video card.
I noticed no slowdown at all with beryl running, I was making a video of it to send a friend, I had the cube rotating, several "burn" open/close effects running on different faces, a transparent video playing on the corner of the cube and several icons bouncing around from kiba dock and it still didn't slow down. It was amazing.
On my old comp I couldn't even run xcompmgr without it slowing down horribly.

hey_ian
Titel: Re: RE: Re: Why Beryl?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 00:14 Uhr

vilde hat folgendes geschrieben::
Yes I agree, after installing RC4 I feel that I have a faster KDE than before (I don't know if if thats because I cleared up my computer and did a new clean install or that the new Kanotix and or KDE is faster) , with Beryl it slowes down again. Beryl is special slow when I VNC my remote computer.

KDE and Kanotix are in 2006-01-RC4 faster in comparison with old versions.

bobdawn
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 00:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Aug 2006
Of course you don't need beryl. If you don't like eye candy, you can also drop into init 3 and never worry about all of that fancy stuff ever again. In the last resort, you don't really need X.

As for me, I've run beryl on my desk box for a while now, but it's not on my laptop. Now that I'm used to beryl, I find that it slows my MACHINE slightly, but it allows ME to work faster and more intuitively. The non-beryl laptop seems relatively awkward now. For the record, I mainly use my boxes for e-mail, news, stock trading and browsing.

Abandoning eye candy completely and using only the command prompt would exaggerate this difference.

vilde
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 09:45 Uhr

Zitat:
Of course you don't need beryl. If you don't like eye candy, you can also drop into init 3 and never worry about all of that fancy stuff ever again. In the last resort, you don't really need X.

Of course I don't need my computer either, I will survive anyway.

I didn't want to complain about Beryl, it's under development and everybody can descide if they want it or not.

I wanted to know if there are any real new benefits with Beryl, as I wrote maybe I missed something. So far I feel that there is not very much new than just eycandy and the rest is around the same as I can configure my normal KDE desktop to do.

@jens
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 15:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mar 2006

shame hat folgendes geschrieben::
Probably depends on your video card.
I noticed no slowdown at all with beryl running, I was making a video of it to send a friend, I had the cube rotating, several "burn" open/close effects

Ah, btw, I'm running beryl 0.1.1 (the latest available version afaik) and couldn't find the "fast burn" or "slow burn" feature. Well, that's *not* important at all, but, you know, there is a child in every man Smilie

Cheers
@jens

phen
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 17:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Nov 2004
@jens,
(damn, mixed up german/english again..sorry for that)
where did you get beryl 0.1.1 from? have you set up a repo for that?
got it from kanotixguide:
Code:

root@k-Box:/home/phen# apt-show-versions beryl
beryl/sid uptodate 0.1.0.dfsg-1
root@k-Box:/home/phen#

did you download them from http://vally8.free.fr/Beryl/ manually?

EDIT:
ok, got the debs from the site mentioned above and installed all of them - good god, everything seems that swifty! Sehr glücklich

moltas
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 19:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Mai 2005

here is som about wat make a system slow or fast
1. hdparm most be up
2. kernelconfig for your hardwear
3. LDFLAGS and CXXFLAGS this com with os on deb, Ubunto use flags that make apps like firefox to open very fast. thats wy many user think that ubunto is faster than many athot linux os. In gentoo i can set up those flags.
4. binutils and GCC
5 The toolkit
6. grafic config
7. and yes kde, gnome and athors work hard to get things to go faster.
But the most inportent parts is hdparm and the kernel
Thats wy i use a kanotix kernel and not the debian ones.
My english is no good but i hav a system that is perfect configured for my hardwear
bertil

hey_ian
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 20:27 Uhr

moltas hat folgendes geschrieben::
here is som about wat make a system slow or fast
1. hdparm most be up
2. kernelconfig for your hardwear
3. LDFLAGS and CXXFLAGS this com with os on deb, Ubunto use flags that make apps like firefox to open very fast. thats wy many user think that ubunto is faster than many athot linux os. In gentoo i can set up those flags.
4. binutils and GCC
5 The toolkit
6. grafic config
7. and yes kde, gnome and athors work hard to get things to go faster.
But the most inportent parts is hdparm and the kernel
Thats wy i use a kanotix kernel and not the debian ones.
My english is no good but i hav a system that is perfect configured for my hardwear
bertil

What is in your opinion so bad in the kernel of Debian?

Gnu77
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 20:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Nov 2005
@ hey_ian
The Kernel from Kano (and slh) based directly from the official kernel, with many patches and extensions .
This makes the Kanotix Kernel stable, recognize more hardware and more Features.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden ICQ-Nummer 
shame
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 23:19 Uhr

@jens
Code:
apt-show-versions beryl
beryl 0.1.1-1-svn801 newer than version in archive

Manually downloaded and installed from the site phen linked to.
The burn effect is under animations>create/close. There are some tweaking options at the bottom of that tab and in the next tab (Numerical Values)

hey_ian
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2006, 11:54 Uhr

Gnu77 hat folgendes geschrieben::
@ hey_ian
The Kernel from Kano (and slh) based directly from the official kernel, with many patches and extensions .
This makes the Kanotix Kernel stable, recognize more hardware and more Features.

Is the Kanotix kernel based on the newest Debian kernel or is it a kernel built from the vanilla kernel of kernel.org?

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2006, 16:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

update-scripts-kanotix.sh
most /usr/local/bin/install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh

moltas
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2006, 20:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Mai 2005

hello hey_ian

deb kernels is not bad, it hav nothing to do with that.
i am use to kompil my own kernel in gentoo so i know watt i need to build in or mark as module.
here is one exampel: after this install of deb sid kanotix 64 nvidia was a problem on anny deb 64 kernel. but i looket at the kanotix 2.6.17-9 64slh , this kernel was kompild the way i liket. so after that i installed it i just run module-asistant and nvidia was up ok.
a nother way to fix it hav be to rekompil the deb kernel.
so one more thanks for kanotix kernels
bertil

Zuletzt bearbeitet von moltas am 31.10.2006, 21:22 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

hey_ian
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2006, 21:02 Uhr

moltas hat folgendes geschrieben::
hello hey_ian

deb kernels is not bad, it hav nothing to do with that.
i am use to kompil my own kernel in gentoo so i know watt i need to build in or mark as module.
here is one exampel: after this install of deb kanotix 64 nvidia was a problem on anny deb 64 kernel. but i looket at the kanotix 2.6.17-9 64slh , this kernel was kompild the way i liket. so after that i installed it i just run module-asistant and nvidia was up ok.
a nother way to fix it hav be to rekompil the deb kernel.
so one more thanks for kanotix kernels
bertil

Ah OK, so Debian kernels are not enough for you. that is the reason why you recompile them. Now I understand.

vilde
Titel: More Beryl  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.11.2006, 18:40 Uhr

I have been without telephone and internet for 7 days now, finaly they managed to repair the cable, during the time I thought a little more about Beryl.

Nearly 20 years ago I was on an education about how to produce technical information like for example manuals. On this education I was for the first time introduced to a computer with a “windows” environment, it was of course a Mac. The teacher was no real teacher, he was a young man, younger than all of us pupils and he acted like he was brought up with this computer. We only had one computer and he was supposed to teach us, I didn't understand anything, “look here is a window and if you click there you will see the window which is under the first window” most of us looked like big ?????. For me a window was a frame with glass in between made for looking through, why should I put windows on each other?

So back to Beryl, if we shall have virtual desktops its probably more understandable for our brains if the desktops are "glued" to the surface of a cube and then let us rotate the cube to change between the desktops than if we only click on an icon and another desktop comes up from nowhere.

Can be so with the animated windows and the 3d feeling, it feels more like putting a paper over another one, and you can pull a corner of the top paper to see whats under.

Is this one of the reasons that these 3d desktops are coming now or?

Klenje
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.11.2006, 10:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
a bit OT: will Beryl work on my ATI Mobility X700? Has anyone tried? It seems that there are problems with ATI drivers...

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen MSN Messenger  
shame
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 15:31 Uhr

I believe you can get Beryl working with it but you would need to use xgl as well.
Try some of the ubuntu beryl/xgl guides but just ignore the ubuntu specific stuff
(such as the repos)

hey_ian
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 22:08 Uhr

Klenje hat folgendes geschrieben::
a bit OT: will Beryl work on my ATI Mobility X700? Has anyone tried? It seems that there are problems with ATI drivers...

As long as you do not use the fglrx ATI binary driver instead of the X.org ATI driver, Beryl will work.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.