28.03.2024, 18:54 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
kb0hae
Titel: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.11.2006, 03:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi. After searching the forums and not finding an answer to my problem, here I go.
I have a Conexant Winmode, that I am using with Kanotix 2005-04. It sorta installed in Easter RC4 (had to re-configure it after every reboot). Now in 2006-01RC4, the driver won't install at all.

Here is the output from Kpackage. (same when I try to re-configure in a terminal screen)

<copy1/Programs/hcfpcimodem_1.10full_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
(Reading database ... 121432 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace hcfpcimodem 1.10full (using .../hcfpcimodem_1.10full_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement hcfpcimodem ...
Setting up hcfpcimodem (1.10full) ...
Conexant HCF controllerless PCI modem driver, version 1.10full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hcfpciconfig --dumpdiag".

No pre-built modules for: Debian-testing/unstable linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1 i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)

Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/lib/modules/2.6.18-kanotix-1/build]

WARNING: the kernel version () defined in
/lib/modules/2.6.18-kanotix-1/build/include/linux/version.h
does not match the currently running kernel (2.6.18-kanotix-1)
The cause of this problem is an incorrect kernel source path.
Please check that /lib/modules/2.6.18-kanotix-1/build points to the right tree.
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

However, proper /boot/config-2.6.18-kanotix-1 was found.
Would you like to try using it (in a temporary kernel tree)? [yes]

Building modules for kernel , using source directory
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18-kanotix-1-cnxttmp2602. Please wait...

ERROR: Module build failed!
Please examine the log file "/tmp/hcfpciconfig-buildlog.txt" to determine why.
dpkg: error processing hcfpcimodem (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
hcfpcimodem
RESULT=1

All the files are where they are supposed to be as far as I can tell. Any ideas? Are the paths above not correct? I am using the latest Linuxant driver for my winmodem. I looked at the log file listed above but it doesn't say much.

I will be contacting Linuxant also, but I have gotten more help here in the past than I ever got from them.

TTYL

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
HK-47
Titel: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.11.2006, 08:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

assuming you updated your kernel with h2's script, go to '/usr/src/kernel-downloads/2.6.18.1-kanotix-1' and then run the script 'kanotix-source.sh'

that should download the matching source for your kernel.

kb0hae
Titel: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.11.2006, 18:54 Uhr

Hi HK-47. Sorry, but I have no internet access in the install of Kanotix 2006-01 RC4 untill the modem driver is installed. (I try new releases in a seperate partition created for that puropse, and do not disturb the working installation of Kanotic 2005-05 that I am using right now.) So I cannot download anything, nor do any updates until the modem is working.

I know that h2 wrote a script for Dist-updates. Did he write one for kernel updates? Kinfo says I am running the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel. This evening I will have to see if I can find the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel source package. Or should I download and install the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1stable kernel from the link on the left?

I guess like many others here I am wondering if there will be a stable release of Kanotix this year. I understand (and support) Kano's policy of wanting everything possible to be working and bug-free for a stable release. However, i do feel that in ANY release the kernel source (or source tree) should be correctly installed and configured.

TTYL

h2
Titel: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.11.2006, 20:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

kb0hae, if you are going to try to run linux with a modem, I would give some serious thought to picking up a genuine serial port modem, not a usb one, then you'll never have any more modem problems. Trying to keep a winmodem going is never going to be reliable.

There are also a tiny number of true modems available, there are some lists available online of what they are. But winmodems will cause you nothing but grief over time. I see serial modems at the fleamarket all the time for almost nothing, so just pickup a used one somewhere before they become obsolete, you'll never regret it.

More on modems with linux

hcfpcimodem modems sucked on windows too by the way, I recognize that garbage because of all the lost days I experienced trying to get that trash running on windows, even with drivers for windows. So unless you really don't value your time at all, I'd just toss that in the garbage and find a more permanent solution.

HK-47
Titel: Re: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 03:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

kb0hae hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi HK-47. Sorry, but I have no internet access in the install of Kanotix 2006-01 RC4 untill the modem driver is installed. (I try new releases in a seperate partition created for that puropse, and do not disturb the working installation of Kanotic 2005-05 that I am using right now.) So I cannot download anything, nor do any updates until the modem is working.

I know that h2 wrote a script for Dist-updates. Did he write one for kernel updates? Kinfo says I am running the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel. This evening I will have to see if I can find the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel source package. Or should I download and install the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1stable kernel from the link on the left?

I guess like many others here I am wondering if there will be a stable release of Kanotix this year. I understand (and support) Kano's policy of wanting everything possible to be working and bug-free for a stable release. However, i do feel that in ANY release the kernel source (or source tree) should be correctly installed and configured.

TTYL

do you still have the older 2.6.18-kanotix-1 kernel installed? if you do, then booting into that kernel and then compile the driver from there. then you can either keep using that kernel or download the source for 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 and then recompile the driver for that kernel.

but like h2 said, it would be better if you could find a serial modem. it'll also save you some CPU cycles and the cost of buying linuxant drivers (i think their free drivers are limited to a measly 14.4kbps)

kb0hae
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 20:17 Uhr

H2 You have some good points there. Have thought about a serial modem, but my finances are super-tight right now. Might see what I can find though.

HK-47 I am trying to do this on a fresh install of 2006-01-RC4 The machine boots into the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel.

Would it help to download the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel (via the link to the left) and install it?

TTYL

kb0hae
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 22:51 Uhr

Hi Guys. Some more in fo and questions. I was booting into the 2.6.28.1-kanotix-1 kernel becasue I copied the entry from the menu.lst (in 2006-01-RC4) into the menu.lst in my 2005-04 install. I wiped out 2006-01-RC4 and started over, adding the entry from 2005-04 to the menu.lst in 2006-01-RC4. I now boot into the 2.6.18-kanotix-1 kernel. This makes no difference to the modem install problem.
I have the 2.6.18.1-kanotix-1 kernel install package, but the scripts won't run. I have tried in a terminal screen as both user and with SU. I have also tried in a root terminal. I get the same thing in each case. "bash error command not found install-kernel-kanotix.sh"

The other 2 scripts (kanotix-source.sh and remove-kernel-kanotix.sh) give the same results.

Any ideas?

Before I started over, I tried to install the linux-image-2.6.18.1-kanotix-1_1_i386.deb file and the linux-headers-2.6.18.1-kanotix-1_1_i386.deb file with Kpackage.
I don't remember the exact errors I got , but something about symlinks, and the build folder.

I probably need to remove the unconfigured or incorrect kernel stuff befor the new will install and configure correctly.

The good news is that I managed to find an external serial controller based modem on eBay. The bad news is that it won't get here for 5 to 7 days.

I still would like to get the kernel figured out, as I will not be doing dist upgrades via dial-up.

Kano
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 22:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

If you don't use the ./install-kernel-kanotix.sh install script you have to run make-kernel-links after you bootet the new kernel. Otherwise you can not compile any kernel module.

kb0hae
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Winmodem install problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 23:00 Uhr

Hi Kano. Will try that. Thanks!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.