28.03.2024, 19:48 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
LRC
Titel: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 01:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Apr 2006
Been running kanotix for a few months now with only fixable hicups. Upon rebooting today couldn't get into kdm. Figuring it might have to do with a d-u done last nite, ran du-fixes-h2 and decided to get newest kernel while I was at it, seeing as it probably had to do with a video prob. Installed kernel with no prob, but when I tried to run the sound driver and video driver, the script told me I had no cards. Sound is sound blaster live 5, and video is radeon. Up to this time have had no probs or showing signs of dying cards. Pulled cards and reinserted, still no help. Is it a case of faulty software or dead boards?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 01:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

The script actually told you you had no supported cards I assume, no supported radeon to be precise.

That means either that kano's install-fglrx-debian.sh installer script determined that your card was not supported by current drivers, or that no radeon/ati card was listed by: lspci

The alsaconf is unrelated at all to du-fixes, so that means that alsaconf sees no cards.

I would try rolling back the kernel version.

In the past with my script, it would act as if it were going to install radeon or nvidia driver, but then the actual driver installer script would simply exit with an 'unsupported card' error. Now it doesn't even run it if that's the case.

Try the following: lspci
and paste the output here.

However, the fact that both sound and video are not detected at all is not a good sign, so you want to make sure your hardware is actually present and seen by the system.

If you don't see radeon or sounblaster in lspci output of course there is nothing for to see for the system as well..

LRC
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 02:06 Uhr

Acually must have killed something in my d-u last nite. Ran a live cd and cards were found and detected correctly. will try older kernels.

h2
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 02:22 Uhr

my guess is that your du did not go through all the way, or, depending on your kanotix version, you did not apply a fix that was required.

So something was missing. And is probably still missing. Unfortunately, my script isn't a repair bad du thing, it's more a 'prevent bad du from happening' thing. Sometimes it does manage to fix stuff, but you can't count on that.

just try booting into your old kernel and see if the stuff is there, before you do anything else.

Hopefully you didn't remove your old kernel when you installed your new one, that's always a very bad idea, you should always give it some time to make sure it's all working before removing anything.

Depends on which kanotix version too by the way, if it's older, 2005-4, your odds of a successful du are very low if you don't use the script, and even with it, it's not easy.

LRC
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 04:02 Uhr

I am running 2005-4.
ran lspci and got segmentation fault. ran previous kernal and got Bug: scheduling while atomic: Xorg/0x00000001/2869

h2
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 05:33 Uhr

possibly hard drive corruption?

LRC
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:18 Uhr

fsck reports clean on all partitions. I am finding it difficult to find any clear (for a noobie) examples of how to use fsck. I have hda (ReiserFS), hdb1 (ext3), hdb2 (ext3), hdb3 (ext3), hdc (ext3).

piper
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 06:25 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
hmm, are you running a Smp kernel on a single cpu by chance ?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
LRC
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 08:14 Uhr

no 2.6.18.2-slh-up-1 is the kernel I am trying to get configured now, but 2.6.18-slh-up-2, which up til today was working fine, was the one that started giving me probs. Is there an packages or kernel module that is involved in detecting mb and cards that I could have mucked up and therefore not allowing kernel to detect the cards? Like I said before,when I tried live CD the cards were found.
All packages that load in bootup show no errors, which seems to indicate clean HDs.

piper
Titel: RE: sound and video not detected  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 15:50 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
The reason I asked about the SMP kernel is I thought you might be running multiprocessor and somehow had a spinlock. I don't know how often this happens anymore if at all.

LRC hat folgendes geschrieben::
I am running 2005-4

I would download and install KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.