28.03.2024, 17:37 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
bryan_e_boone
Titel: h2 script and rc kernels  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 18:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jan 2006

h2,
Can you incorporate installing rc kernels under "advanced" kernel installation if possible. I really like your "no-brainer" d-u script. I use it at least twice a week.
-Bryan (Askani)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden AIM-Name MSN Messenger  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: RE: h2 script and rc kernels  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 19:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

RC kernels are not meant for general consumption. While I appreciate test feedback I don't want them to be advertised, especially not to those who fail to start a simple script manually, they're at least missing external driver modules some users might depend on and might even kill kittens.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
bryan_e_boone
Titel: RE: h2 script and rc kernels  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 20:47 Uhr

Good point...
I take it you're not a cat lover Winken

h2
Titel: RE: h2 script and rc kernels  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 21:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

There have been times in the past when the script has offered rc kernels, but the new 2.6.19 stuff is, as slh notes, missing too many modules to offer standard users.

There were few reported issues with the 2.6.18 rc stuff, so the script did offer those at that time.

You can fairly safely assume that if you do not see rc kernels being offered as an install option, there's a reason for it, since that is a supported feature, that has been used in the past, of the script.

I ask now and then, and if there are no objections, I will add the rc stuff, but if they are considered unsafe or missing too many features, I don't offer them, for the reasons slh notes.

By the way, for anyone who uses the script usually to install kernels, if you do decide to manually install the kernel, to maintain all the support of the script in terms of cleanup etc, make the install directory:

/usr/src/kernel-downloads/2.6.19-rc5-git2-slh-up-1/, the full name of the downloaded zip file that is, minus the kernel- and the .zip

That will maintain compatibility with the script's naming conventions for those directories.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
bryan_e_boone
Titel: RE: h2 script and rc kernels  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.11.2006, 21:52 Uhr

Cool.
Thanks for the info (and the script)
b2 Winken

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.