29.03.2024, 14:18 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
bhintz
Titel: ltmodem  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 04:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Sep 2006

I opened live kanotix 2006 RC4. I was unable to configure kppp as this version did not recognize my modem. I have installed RC3 to my hard drive and have been using it for several months with no problems. Is there something that I can do to fix this before I attempt to install RC4. The ability of kanotix to let me reach the internet with dial up modem is a primary virtue. I am also looking forward to version with OO. I can download operating systems at work where I have dsl but not at home.

thanks for any assistence.

Bob

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: ltmodem  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 04:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Try

Kmenue --> Kanotix --> Network/Internet --> My PPP Conf

Choose your provider, and whatever else it asks you (it has been awhile and can't remember the rest of the setup but is pretty much common sense)

or

su (password) my-pppconf

run pppconfig , as root, follow its prompts
go to 'advanced' options, add yourself as user
then you will [should] be able to connect by typing 'pon' as user

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
kelmo
Titel: RE: ltmodem  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 04:30 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
Dear Bob,

The ltmodem has long been unmaintained, and is based upon a large ugly binary blob that is linux unfriendly. It was not included in recent snapshots because the module would fail to even build with recent linux kernels. It has since been fixed, but may disappear at any given time in the very near future.

Please consider finding an alternative dial-up access method, whether it be by dedicated dial-up router, external modem or whatever, if possible.

Thanks, Kel.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
slh
Titel: RE: ltmodem  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 11:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

External modem should read serial modem, because quite a lot of USB modems are winmodems as well (some USB modems are supported by the standardized cdc-acm module, but I won't count on that given by the shrink wrap, serial modems will "always" be standard Hayes compatible modems and work in combination with just about every OS).

hey_ian
Titel: Re: RE: ltmodem  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 11:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
External modem should read serial modem, because quite a lot of USB modems are winmodems as well (some USB modems are supported by the standardized cdc-acm module, but I won't count on that given by the shrink wrap, serial modems will "always" be standard Hayes compatible modems and work in combination with just about every OS).

Exactly this was also my experience as I was modem user. I had an internal Motorola SM56 PCI Modem and tried to get it running with every Linux driver available, I even installed an older 2.4.x kernel to get it running, because Motoroal had drivers only for 2.4.x kernels. Without any success.

Then I have bought hopefully an ACER USB External modem, with the same problem. Afterwards, I decided to inverst more money and bought a serial modem from Trust. And it worked immediately.

I am lucky to be DSL user nowadays. Anyway if you want to use Linux with a dial-up connection, I would also recommend to use a serial modem.

bhintz
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 16:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Sep 2006

Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry to hear all this. I suppose this explains why Mepis no longer supports Ltmodem and Kubuntu doesn't even try. I guess I'd better hang on to RC3 for the near future. I have a laptop with the same modem and the same problem. It's not nearly as easy to carry around an external modem for that.

Bob

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.