28.03.2024, 15:38 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
fatbloke
Titel: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA!).  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 18:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Aug 2006
Just when you think things are going well!

Don't recall why, but last night I messed up (something to do with extensions or similar) and had to try to install firefox 2.

My efforts were pretty messy, but this morning I managed to sort that. Now none of my plugins seem to work. Realplayer, Flash, Java etc etc. Even though if I look at synaptic, they all seem to be installed.

If I then do about:plugins in FF2 it tells me that they're not. If I get the "missing plugins" window from FF2 (e.g. for java/jre) it has it "ticked" but isn't working.

Is this likely to be because of the FF2 not working with stuff downloaded via the kanotix/debian repo's and need to be installed by hand from tar.gz's and bin files or am I missing something?

Any guidance is much appreciated, because I can't find anything from a search that I understand.

regards

fatbloke.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
craigevil
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 18:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
How did you install Firefox 2.0? Its not in any Debian repos, unless your using the version from experimental.

If your using the Mozilla version you need to copy the plugns from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
to the Firefox 2.0 plugins folder

My Firefox Information
http://www.geocities.com/reverendsky/infolister.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
fatbloke
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 20:46 Uhr

OK, the firefox was installed from their site (tar.gz format I think?).

I've copied all the plugins files from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to the /usr/lib/firefox folder (presuming of course, that thats the "right" one, but have no way of acertaining whether it is or not).

Read through some of the items in your link re your firefox info - most of which, I don't really understand - hence, plugins (specifically the flashplayer) still not working and I'm still stumbling round the net to see if theres anything that sounds/looks familiar.

TVM though

FB!

piper
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 23:00 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
For flash remove the flashplayer.xpt and libflashplayer.so from (with firefox closed)

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (if it exists)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins (if it exists)
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins (if it exists)
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree (if it exists)
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree-unpackdir (if it exists)

Use h2's script (cleanup stuff) or orphan to cleanup

then

Code:
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Java

Code:
dpkg --purge sun-j2re1.4

which is located at

/usr/lib/jvm

then

Code:
apt-get install sun-java5-jre

Code:
apt-get install sun-java5-plugin

Not really needed but if you want

apt-get install sun-java5-fonts

apt-get install ttf-baekmuk ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp libmyodbc tfm-arphic-bsmi00lp

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
craigevil
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 04:08 Uhr

Unless you place Firefox 2.0 in /usr/lib somewhere the /usr/lib/firefox that is there is for the existing Debian version.

Copy the plugins to the directory where you extracted 2.0, for me I just place it in my home folder.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
fatbloke
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 20:57 Uhr

Now I'm really confused!

The ones that piper suggested i.e. the ones that need removing, where done. Erm I couldn't find flashplayer.xpt anywhere???

I don't know how or what h2's cleanup script is, so I just did d-u with h2's du script and did the "orphan" thing that way - I presume that that would/should have done the trick.

All of the other suggested packages all came up as "already the most recent"

I think I understand what craigevil is suggesting. My problem is how to work out where the Firefox 2.0 mentioned actually is/was extracted to, so that I can place it where suggested (or can I just overwrite the version that may or may not be there already?

regards

FB

devil
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 21:04 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
fatbloke,
better get rid of that ff2, iceweasel will be in sid tonite.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

hubi
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 21:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
devil,

oooh! and I am longing for iceape, hope it's as good as the mozilla suite.

hubi

kstevek
Titel: RE: FF2 and "nice too have" plugins (complete PITA  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.11.2006, 23:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jan 2006

apt-get update just showed iceweasel now but when I tried install its not really there yet...bah just uninstalled firefox too, ah well get it in the morning,

cheers kstevek

eco2geek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 03:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
And...there it is! Built-in spell check and all.

Still answers to the name "mozilla-firefox" --

andrew@ninnyhammer:/usr/bin$ ls -la mozilla-firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 20 19:23 mozilla-firefox -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

<edit> Also:
andrew@ninnyhammer:/usr/bin$ ls -la firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 20 19:23 firefox -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

andrew@ninnyhammer:/usr/bin$ ls -la iceweasel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 20 19:23 iceweasel -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

Zuletzt bearbeitet von eco2geek am 21.11.2006, 05:15 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 04:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Weird

piper@KanotixBox:/usr/bin$ ls -la mozilla-firefox
bash: /usr/bin$: No such file or directory

piper@KanotixBox:/usr/bin$ ls -la iceweasel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 20 21:33 iceweasel -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
craigevil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 05:36 Uhr

ls -la iceweasel
ls: iceweasel: No such file or directory
craig@KanotixBox:~$ ls -la mozilla-firefox
ls: mozilla-firefox: No such file or directory

and that is after installing iceweasel

craig@KanotixBox:~$ /usr/bin$ ls -la mozilla-firefox
craig@KanotixBox:~$ /usr/bin$ ls -la iceweasel

craig@KanotixBox:~$ whereis iceweasel
iceweasel: /usr/bin/iceweasel /etc/iceweasel /usr/lib/iceweasel /usr/X11R6/bin/iceweasel /usr/bin/X11/iceweasel /usr/share/iceweasel /usr/share/man/man1/iceweasel.1.gz

craig@KanotixBox:~$ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /etc/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox /usr/bin/X11/firefox /usr/share/firefox /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

craig@KanotixBox:~$ whereis mozilla-firefox
mozilla-firefox: /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla-firefox /usr/bin/X11/mozilla-firefox /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla-firefox.1.gz

Zuletzt bearbeitet von craigevil am 21.11.2006, 06:21 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 05:52 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

/usr/bin$ Smilie

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 15:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

Well ive been google searching like mad from the toolbar in effort to generate money for debian, not an exciting update for me tho- ive been using swiftfox 2.0 for some weeks....

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.11.2006, 00:59 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
wegface hat folgendes geschrieben::
Well ive been google searching like mad from the toolbar in effort to generate money for debian, not an exciting update for me tho- ive been using swiftfox 2.0 for some weeks....

Can't get enough of that Swiftfox. It simply kicks some booty.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.11.2006, 01:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
mzilikazi hat folgendes geschrieben::
Can't get enough of that Swiftfox. It simply kicks some booty.

Yeah, I'm also a happy Swiftfox user and the response is clearly better than with the standard Firefox. Maybe not so much of a difference on a fast machine but atleast on a slower one like my pIII-450 (P3 optimized build).

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.11.2006, 02:57 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

I agree on the slower Smilie

fatbloke
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 19:16 Uhr

Well I've just done as craigevil suggested and installed iceweasel.

Curious though, it installed straight over the firefox stuff in my system (as far as I can tell), even though the firefox was installed from either download i.e. from the mozilla site rather from the repository offerings.

It occured to me that I'll have to see if theres anything of the original files left to get rid of them, or will the iceweasel installation have overwritten all of them ??? i.e. the shortcut I made was also changed etc etc.

It's not that I'm moaning about it, far from it. It seems fine. It's just that not knowing much about how this all actually works, and what with (AFAIK) iceweasel being a rebadged/remaned firefox (2), does this mean that it's subject to any of the faults/upgrades/updates etc that firefox (given that someone has announced that they found a security issue with FF2 on digg and other locations today)???

regards

fatbloke

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.