20.04.2024, 01:42 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
LinuxGeek
Titel: Easiest way to clone an installation on different hardware?  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 14:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Okt 2004

Hi,
I have multiple machines that I would like to install Kanotix on. I've already installed it on one machine and am currently updating packages, etc. on that machine and would then like to clone the setup including all the additional packages, etc. to different machines. I've done this before but realized that there were a lot of hardware specific modifications that I had to do by hand (xorg.conf for example, powernwo vs. speedstep, etc.). Is there any script that would re-initialize hardware-dependent values and make the necessary modifications to make cloning easier? Thanks for your help.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
LinuxGeek
Titel: RE: Easiest way to clone an installation on different hardwa  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.11.2006, 19:34 Uhr

Anyone?

John
Titel: RE: Easiest way to clone an installation on different hardwa  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.11.2006, 10:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
i think the easiest way woul be to install every machine with the cd, but to burn all the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives and to install them on the new systems via dpkg -i *.deb. you can also burn your configs you need and copy them to the new system. another possibility would be a little script. once written you can use it to modify all other installations the way you want

#!/bin/sh

cp -f /yourconfigs/etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt
apt-get -y install unison-gtk gnucash ripperx frozen-bubble vlc deborphan anacron...
update-rc.d ssh defaults

adduser youruser audio

etc...

you can use all the console commands you already know

greetings
john

stryder
Titel: RE: Easiest way to clone an installation on different hardwa  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.11.2006, 10:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

AFAIK, everything is detected upon startup. So you can just copy your kanotix installation to another hard disk and then boot it up in another computer. The only issues are fstab (if partitions are different, also menu.lst) and the graphics card. If it is the same, nvidia or ati, then no problem either. If not, boot to console, install-graphicscard-debian.sh. Networkcardconfig if it is different too.

... of course, what I know is not very far. Smilie

*edit*
... oh, and figure a way to install grub to mbr - the kanotix cd, I guess...

LinuxGeek
Titel: RE: Easiest way to clone an installation on different hardwa  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.11.2006, 14:22 Uhr

thanks for your suggestions.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.