19.03.2024, 06:21 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 08:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Just a year of 2005-04 starting with an RC and no bumps. Fully d-u upgraded and working great. Never used h2's script as I haven't needed to.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
kelmo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 09:29 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
ice hat folgendes geschrieben::

A year ago Kanotix ranked #14 on Distrowatch; now it ranks #23 behind the likes of Puppy, Sabayon and Perspire. Do you have another explanation as to what caused Kanotix to sink faster than Bush's approval rating?

Lack of release and innovation.

This thread is turning into bullshit. Have a Nice Day.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 10:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

ice, you're really too funny, I'm glad I've missed your other posts. Meanwhile, I'll just wait for my sid desktops to fail, but it's getting annoying, they are mostly all on 1 year and counting, bumps and humps just part of the ride I guess.

I'll also let my friends know that their sid desktops aren't working either, since that will I'm sure confuse them every time they boot up and run them with no problems. Maybe the problem isn't sid, hmmm?

If the idea that some programming can help smooth out bumps seems odd to you, what were you ever doing using kanotix, which is filled with scripts that do one thing or another for the user so they don't have to learn it all themselves.

Anyway, despite the silliness of this thread, I really hope that kano finds himself what he's looking for, and that whatever happens is for the best.

@jens
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 14:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mar 2006

jackiebrown hat folgendes geschrieben::
Kanotix was a brilliant distro, in that it provided an answer to certain existing conditions:

1. The Debian installer sucked
2. Testing was obsolete
3. Sid was stable enough

Neither #1 nor #2 hold true anymore, as anyone who has installed one of Etch daily snapshots will testify. As far as #3 goes, I can see no use for it other than for destructive tests or pure masochism.

I think Kano made the right decision and I will look forward to Kanotix new-and-improved or whatever (neu und verbessert?)

Cheers.

I think you misunderstand Debian nomenclature. Etch != testing.

That's wrong. "Sarge" is stable, "Etch" is testing, and Sid is *always!* unstable. BTW, all the Debian names come from "Toy Story".

Greetings
@jens

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 17:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
@jens,
I think jackie meant that etch isn't strictly the same as testing. One day, etch will become 'stable' and there will be a new 'testing'.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
GP
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 18:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Apr 2005

Needless to say -- I voiced this opinion long time ago -- if basing Kanotix on testing rather than Unstable means more timely releases, I'm all for it. Debian seems to have a rough time releasing Etch:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/11/msg00004.html>
so, even with testing, Kanotix should be a step ahead. But the ShuttleBuntu would definitely drive me away from Kanotix.

ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 19:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005

kelmo hat folgendes geschrieben::

I like your style Kelmo. You have understood that people get tired fast of your "complex personality", so it's better to keep it short and to the point. Like a wise man from the mountain would.

Kanotix is gone and this thead makes little sense indeed.

So thanks for the wisdom, Zarathustra. Have the day you deserve.

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 22:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
@ice,

Your comments are boorish and churlish.

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 00:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
Don't start flame wars here, Kanotix has not deserved it.

mycque
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 01:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
My first linux install for all the above reasons, i.e. hardware recognition. Thanks Kano, slh and h2 . I'll be looking forward to new projects.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 05:35 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
kelmo hat folgendes geschrieben::

A year ago Kanotix ranked #14 on Distrowatch; now it ranks #23 behind the likes of Puppy, Sabayon and Perspire. Do you have another explanation as to what caused Kanotix to sink faster than Bush's approval rating?

I agree 200%

Crest hat folgendes geschrieben::
Don't start flame wars here, Kanotix has not deserved it.

another I Agree

Like I have always said

You want stable - install Sarge

You want testing - install Etch

Why can't people find a distro they want/use instead of bitching about it.

I can't wait till the day Etch is realeased and obsolete the same week. This is too funny, just like Sarge and 5 years later.....................................

@jens
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 11:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mar 2006

UncleDeadley hat folgendes geschrieben::
@jens,
I think jackie meant that etch isn't strictly the same as testing. One day, etch will become 'stable' and there will be a new 'testing'.

At the moment etch is strictly the same as "testing", as sarge was strictly the same as "testing" when woody was stable. As soon as etch will become stable a new guy from Toy Story will be strictly the same as "testing" - and of course SID is always unstable. That's the way Debian works.

Greetings
@jens

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 00:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
@jens hat folgendes geschrieben::
UncleDeadley hat folgendes geschrieben::
@jens,

At the moment etch is strictly the same as "testing", as sarge was strictly the same as "testing" when woody was stable. As soon as etch will become stable a new guy from Toy Story will be strictly the same as "testing" - and of course SID is always unstable. That's the way Debian works.

Greetings
@jens

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Kanotix plans. It is to track Etch (not testing.)

The new testing is going to be called Lenny by the way.

I know how the naming process works and we all know that it comes from toy story. If we didn't I am sure your first post mentioning that would have sufficed.

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 00:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Lets not lose sight of what Kanotix is all about:

a) Excellent hardware detection
b) Ease of installation
c) Fully Debian repo compatible - meaning you can choose from over 18,000 packages from standard Debian sid repos, unlike a few Debian forks that are restricted to certain "closed" repos.

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 01:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
DeepDayze hat folgendes geschrieben::
Lets not lose sight of what Kanotix is all about:

a) Excellent hardware detection
b) Ease of installation
c) Fully Debian repo compatible - meaning you can choose from over 18,000 packages from standard Debian sid repos, unlike a few Debian forks that are restricted to certain "closed" repos.

I agree , except to say that this is what Kanotix WAS about. It will NOT be about that [point (c)] in the future, whereas sidux will be.

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 19:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

@anticapitalista, you are right...only IF Kano takes Kanotix the *buntu route. If he takes the Debian Etch or Stable route then its also all good. We shall wait and see what he decides.

brizio2718
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 20:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Dez 2005

So if not Ubuntu (I hope NO), new Kanotix will be based on Debian Etch, not on Debian Testing? Its packets will be locked for years except of security updates and Kanotix packets?
Are you sure?

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 20:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
brizio2718 hat folgendes geschrieben::
So if not Ubuntu (I hope NO), new Kanotix will be based on Debian Etch, not on Debian Testing? Its packets will be locked for years except of security updates and Kanotix packets?
Are you sure?

We aren't sure about anything at this stage.

But once again: Etch IS Debian testing at the moment.

Nothing is ever "locked" in Debian: edit your sources.list and dist-upgrade to whatever you like (testing, Sid, even bits from experimental...)

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 20:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
DeepDayze hat folgendes geschrieben::
@anticapitalista, you are right...only IF Kano takes Kanotix the *buntu route. If he takes the Debian Etch or Stable route then its also all good. We shall wait and see what he decides.

Not ONLY if Kanotix takes the *buntu route. Kanotix will no longer be based on Sid so the repos, if Kano chooses to keep etch, will not include sid's ones, as it would certainly be suicidal with no/little support from the new kanotix.

BTW: I can fully understand why Kano wants to change kanotix from Sid, and I'm sure he will produce a great distro whatever it is based on.

brizio2718
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 20:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Dez 2005

Jackiebrown 4 or 5 posts ago seemed sure about this...
I know testing=etch NOW, BUT in a month it won't be so! If release date will be confirmed Etch will be new Stable in December... So my question...

I know I can do dist-upgrade to Sid but if I want Sid I follow slh&co on their new project.
If I have to dist-upgrade to testing why choose stable-Kanotix ??

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 20:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
brizio2718 hat folgendes geschrieben::

I know I can do dist-upgrade to Sid but if I want Sid I follow slh&co on their new project.
If I have to dist-upgrade to testing why choose stable-Kanotix ??

There is nothing difficult in an apt-get dist-upgrade. It is the *very basic* of Debian.
But of course it is entirely up to you which distribution to go with.

mylo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.12.2006, 23:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Jan 2005
nish hat folgendes geschrieben::

Kanotix made unstable stable for me.

available and reliable linux os for me

thanks!

nish
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.12.2006, 01:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Apr 2004

Yes, it did - Kanotix wasn't unstable to me Sehr glücklich I am luckier than most I guess in that I have two linux partitions on my main machine so I can have two distros at my disposal. Right now I overwrote my most beloved (but abandoned a few months ago Kanotix - I thought it was an upgraded 2005-4 but it turns out it may have been a Bughunter!) with an Etch install...

and what is my main o/s: Kanotix Easter I commented out the Kanotix repos the other day. I don't know. Maybe sidux, maybe not and just stick with sid repos. Haven't decided. But as good as I am with all things deb now, after almost 3 years (time flies?) I don't think I can handle sid without scripts and a lot of help.

Playing with Etch now and it is quite easy. I will track it when it goes stable. Having Etch/soon-to-be-stable in the case of an emergency helps.

A lot. Waiting to see what Kano does. He is a master. But have to wait and see what he decides to be master of now Smilie

Nish

j.drake
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.12.2006, 03:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Nov 2004

I'll miss it

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.12.2006, 09:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

Ubuntu repos seem inevitable, they blend cutting edge with stability, which is the balance im sure Kano probably would like. All that work already done for him is a tempting prospect. As people keep saying the difference between testing and sid isnt much- and this is applicable to stability too. Testing isnt much more stable than sid- so basing Kanotix on testing would be little difference in workload for Kano.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.