19.03.2024, 09:04 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
AJones
Titel: Kanotix vs OpenBSD  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.12.2006, 19:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Mar 2005

Hi Folks:

I am about to update my present 2005-03 Kanotix. I find from google that OpenBSD is the most secure OS out there. I probably hope to have a web server later. Compared to OpenBSD out of the box how does Kanotix compare.

Since it will be a fresh install, what is the exact setup procedure that I need to follow to make it comparable to OpenBSD?The areas of interest are encryption, internet security. I believe Kanotix 2005-03 has some encryption as I observe in the bootup process, does this compare to OpenBSD and its encryption of all internet etc. I just want to set up everything right for one last time this time hopefully with no further problems.

Thanks much
AJ

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel: RE: Kanotix vs OpenBSD  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.12.2006, 00:17 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Kanotix is based on Debian Sid. Debian Sid is not a server OS. Debian Stable is a server OS.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mmj
Titel: RE: Kanotix vs OpenBSD  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.12.2006, 01:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Sep 2006

Hello AJones,
it's difficult to compare this two OS. Mainly, because they are so different. Also, I must say, that I hadn't used a *BSD yet.
OpenBSD ist completely build for security. So a basic system provides no services aud ist very minimalistic. Kanotix on the other hand is trying to offer a complete and confortable OS to the user. Also Kanotis has a look to security, but primary from the view of a end user.
Well, you will be able to use OpenBSD on a Desktop, but there will be probable problems, cause it is not designed for that.
If you want to get in touch with a *BSD, you can install FreeBSD on your desktop, which is designed for this kind of use. Also Kanotix is a chance to adapt to a server system. But this System be rather Debian stable.
The advantage of GNU/Linux systems is a better support of desktop hardware, and more packages which are available without additional effort.
So, if you want to install on a workstation, Kanotix and other linux desktop distributions or FreeBSD are the best choice.
For installing a Server, use a server OS like Debian stable, CentOS, etc. or OpenBSD.

AJones
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.12.2006, 18:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Mar 2005

Hi Thanks:

Even a web-server qualifies for a Server like those Google uses, is that right? I just want to make it most secure after a fresh install. Security related issues must be addressed just after a fresh install is what I have read. Now what is run down on things that I should perform to make the desktop secure, and encrypt. Is there a list of tasks that need to be performed after a fresh install of Kanotix to address Security (Physical & Internet security).

Thanks,
AJ

John
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.12.2006, 08:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
if you wan't a server, take debian stable or anything else declared stable. with unstable, you got to do all the time dist-upgrades to get security fixes. but with dist-upgrades you will get new versions etc. and probably things will break. on a server, you don't need the newest software like the newest kde etc. if you wan't to minimze your input, take something stable, perhaps also ubuntu dapper with long term support.

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.12.2006, 10:22 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
on a server you need no kde at all, no x even.
we ran kanotix 64 on the kanotix server for the last ~ 6 month without any problems with heavy traffic. we will continue to do so with sidux.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.