19.03.2024, 03:24 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
spottyrover
Titel: since upgrading media software I cann't get root user acess  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 06:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Apr 2005

I upgraded transcode and **censored** and now i can not get access to anything needing root access. I keep getting wrong password error

Any ideas guys?

Dave

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 06:52 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Why must people with 114 posts still post about things they "should" know is not allowed ?

#kanotix

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
spottyrover
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 07:02 Uhr

I am trying to find a program that i can archive (compress) my own home movies as my wife is a video recording nut when it comes to the kids
I did not realise it was a no go program

how ever the question was not about the censored program but how do i reset the root password as before

I just read about using su in a terminal
eg su
synapic

I am now confused as this worked but when kde asks for a password it fails

thanks Dave

devil
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 07:10 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
you would have to dist-upgrade to fix this.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

analogtek
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 07:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Jun 2006
Can you log on as console? Then it is a edit of the kdmrc file in the /etc/kde3/kdm/ area. Just look for AllowRootLogin=false change to true and save file of course!!

spottyrover
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 07:27 Uhr

I hope analogtek is right as upgrading with dialup is so painful its not worth doing
thanks I will give it a go tomorrow
Dave

severin
Titel: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 08:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Mar 2004

Careful!
analogtek speaks about how to allow root to log in to the entire X, KDE, ..., which is - from a security point of view - a *very* bad idea. I thought you were talking about having some user run KDE and only run certain programs (e.g. synaptic) as root.
Unfortunately I have no clue regarding your original problem

No clue what I'm talking about? New to Linux? Check http://kanotix.com/index.php?module=pnW ... ForDummies for a glossary.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen ICQ-Nummer 
mzilikazi
Titel: Re: RE: since upgrading media software I cann  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 16:24 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
spottyrover hat folgendes geschrieben::
I hope analogtek is right as upgrading with dialup is so painful its not worth doing
thanks I will give it a go tomorrow
Dave

devil has given you the answer. You need to upgrade to fix that kdesu problem. You don't need to log into KDE as root.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
zyldar
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 22:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Dez 2005

I had the same problem and solved it by following hubi's advice in another thread named "invalid password" under General Support.

hubi said:

apt-get update
apt-get install kdebase

or

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

I chose the first option as the less drastic of the two, and it worked like a charm.

Hope this works for you, spottyrover.

Have fun!

zyldar

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 03:43 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Actually the "less" drastic of the 2 would be a "dist-upgrade" due to possible dependency problems with "newer/changes/etc.." in apps in kde base. Just my 2 cents Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
spottyrover
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 10:26 Uhr

As I said I am on dial up and a poor one at that
I have not tried yet and a few post have put me off for now ( there is a rumour that the local isp is going to set up a wireless broard band next month ). since I have found out that how to use synaptic and a few other programs from the terminal

My new question is how do i get root access to konqueror as i need it ocasionally

thanks for all of your help

ps. for the kano developers it helps us poor buggers on dial up considerably when either synaptic or adept is installed as old downloaded files can easily be reused without needing to do apt-get update

Dave

severin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 10:31 Uhr

what do you need a root konqueror for? Do you know about the "Edit file as root" gimmick in konqueror's kontext menu? (right click on filename)

No clue what I'm talking about? New to Linux? Check http://kanotix.com/index.php?module=pnW ... ForDummies for a glossary.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen ICQ-Nummer 
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 10:45 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

apt-get install kdebase wont work anymore to fix the problem, dist-upgrade is needed since latest kde upgrade the other day.
(and i am NOT talking about logging into the system as root.)
any job can be done from a root konsole.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]

spottyrover
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 11:48 Uhr

I just tried the edit file as root as suggested severin but it will not accept my root password it only seems to accept it in a terminal
su
password
synaptic
works but starting synaptic through the menu does not work
hence my new question is how do i get root access to konqueror as i need it ocasionally

thanks dave

severin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 12:42 Uhr

This is really weird; maybe some keyboard issue - do you got any weird characters in your root password? You might wanna try temporarily changing it to, say, "bla" and see if Edit file as root works. To change root password, run
Code:
sux
<password>
passwd
(using "sux" instead of "su" you can run X apps as root)

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 14:39 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
spottyrover hat folgendes geschrieben::
I just tried the edit file as root as suggested severin but it will not accept my root password it only seems to accept it in a terminal
su
password
synaptic
works but starting synaptic through the menu does not work
hence my new question is how do i get root access to konqueror as i need it ocasionally

thanks dave

This is exactly the problem of which we speak. There is nothing wrong with the root password. The problem is kdesu, the very tool that asks for the root password when you launch an app like Synaptic. If you need to do anything as root use a terminal.
Code:
sux
konqueror

Now you have Konq opened as root.
Code:
sux
kedit /path/to/some/file

Now you are editing as root.
Simple no?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.11.2006, 15:21 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

...and if that should really not work (sux in konsole), then let me guess:
you have easter 2006 installed or even older...

greetz
devil

spottyrover
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 12:27 Uhr

I am confused as i tried to do sux then
konqueror
before and got an error
but this time it worked as i used to use this before when i tried ubunu ( note no ubuntu repos used) when it came to changing config files.

and yes it is 2006 easter

thanks Dave

drbeka
Titel: automount  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.12.2006, 12:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Mar 2004
hi,

I have the same problem with kdesu.
When I plug a new USB-Device then normaly there is an automatic mount of that device and a konqueror window is opened.
But with the kdesu problem it comes an error message and no mount.

So I must open a terminal and make a manual mount as root.

What can I do, is the dist-upgrade the only solution ?

Crest
Titel: RE: automount  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.12.2006, 17:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
If you want kdesu working than d-u seems to be the only solution at this moment.

dzz
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 10:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Sep 2006
I can confirm the root password problem, at least on Easter 2006
I administer my son's box which had no internet connection at all till recently

It started after upgrading multimedia packages (always got via another PC's connection) probably because bits of KDE or other dependencies had to be upgraded too

Our workaround was to just use SUDO for most root jobs which always worked
/etc/sudoers was easily modified by logging out of KDE back in as root in textmode then open mc to edit

username ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

Apart from this bug it was a remarkably stable system. Dist upgrade eventually fixed it

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.