28.03.2024, 23:27 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Daniele
Titel: Knoppix 5.1.0 released, based on Debian Etch  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 01:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03938#0

I am downloading it now. I hope it is good enough to install.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Daddy-G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.01.2007, 16:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

It's possible but some things are horrible Mit den Augen rollen
Another test-install, nothing more (for the moment)

Kanotix the better Knoppix for HD-Install, based on etch may be an interesting idea !
Winken

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.01.2007, 17:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

I do not think that it is "based" on Etch, maybe the preferences are set to testing.

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.01.2007, 22:01 Uhr

Daddy-G hat folgendes geschrieben::
It's possible but some things are horrible Mit den Augen rollen
Another test-install, nothing more (for the moment)

Kanotix the better Knoppix for HD-Install, based on etch may be an interesting idea !
Winken

It is true, alas. Installed it is terribly buggy.

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.01.2007, 22:07 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
I do not think that it is "based" on Etch, maybe the preferences are set to testing.

It is "Update to Debian etch/testing as base distribution", according to:

http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix51-en.html

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 00:52 Uhr

That's what i mean, what you do is setting the default to testing instead of unstable. You can do that in 2 ways, ether /etc/apt/apt.conf or /etc/apt/preferences.

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 01:08 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
That's what i mean, what you do is setting the default to testing instead of unstable. You can do that in 2 ways, ether /etc/apt/apt.conf or /etc/apt/preferences.

Ah OK. Sorry for not being clear enough.

gmx99
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 08:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Sep 2006

hi,
new release today..... 5.1.1......

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 14:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
Glad I did not download the last one Winken

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 15:38 Uhr

jackiebrown hat folgendes geschrieben::
Glad I did not download the last one Winken

I gave it to my sister Winken

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 16:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005

Having tested running it from CD I find some things do work quite well. For example the wlan works out of the box which it did not on previous versions.

The Beryl 3D desktop is not only impressive but actually useful in navigating typically overcrowded workspaces, providing of course the right type of CPU and graphic adaptor is available.

Small non-antialised fonts render very well in various applications, including Gimp, Firefox, which is often not the case on current distributions or xorg's.

Otherwise I fail to understand why Mr Knopper does not encourage hd-installs because running entirely from CD is just not practical in this age of cranky CD readers.

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 18:47 Uhr

Well beryl looks nice, Kanotix has basically also beryl support - just beryl was not preinstalled, but compiz was. The xorg.conf missed one tiny tweak, but basically the compiz cheat is working in live mode too. Knoppix used the desktop=beryl option, I used a different approach.

nemesis
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 20:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Mai 2005
Zitat:
Otherwise I fail to understand why Mr Knopper does not encourage hd-installs because running entirely from CD is just not practical in this age of cranky CD readers.

In my opinion, when most people think of a live cd, no matter what distro they use, Knoppix comes to mind. I haven't used Knoppix since it first started popping up, and don't know if it's still true, but it was originally intended as just that, a live cd. I think Mr Knopper could go the route that a lot of distros have gone and allow a good hd install as well as double as a live cd, but then it would just be another good distro that some people use and some people don't. I think keeping it primarily as a live cd is what makes Knoppix stand out (I notice it doesn't do too bad on distrowatch's rankings). I know that if I had the choice between a good hd install of Knoppix, and KANOTIX, the best OS available, KANOTIX wins, hands down.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Daddy-G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 21:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

well my test-Knoppix 5.1. HD-install survived a d-u today. But its funny whenever I had to change something in grub, fstab etc. I first had error 16 ("inconsistent filesystem structure") on reboot. When I used kanotix between the Knoppix reboot, it worked without probs again hm.

The Knoppix HD-Install works now more or less but the fonts.... Sehr böse

For HD-Install Kanotix is better. We need a equivalent of Knoppix 5.1. Based on testing, with same features (perhaps beryl) but better for HD-Install ( and a little bit support here ?)
Winken

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 21:40 Uhr

For HD-Install Kanotix is better. We need a equivalent of Knoppix 5.1. Based on testing, with same features (perhaps beryl) but better for HD-Install ( and a little bit support here ?)
Winken

That would be ideal, but I wonder if that is what Kano wants (he should do the work after all-personally I am willing to pay for something like that, but I wonder: how many more people would?)

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 22:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Daniele hat folgendes geschrieben::

Winken

That would be ideal, but I wonder if that is what Kano wants (he should do the work after all-personally I am willing to pay for something like that... )

Me, too.

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 22:43 Uhr

A good micro-payment donation system would probably help, similar to the one used on Wikipedia.

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 23:23 Uhr

tuxedo hat folgendes geschrieben::
A good micro-payment donation system would probably help, similar to the one used on Wikipedia.

I am not quite sure what a micro-payment donation is, but the main cause for the status Kanotix is in now is that donations didn't work as a means of collecting enough money.

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.01.2007, 23:36 Uhr

A micro payment system is one where many small payments (or large for that matter) can very easily be made, i.e. a user friendly system. Features such as on Wikipedia can display the amount raised and the donors who may optionally be credited as contributors, eg. coorporate sponsors.

SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.01.2007, 18:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Okt 2005
Kanotix FTW

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.