28.03.2024, 20:38 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
tuxedo
Titel: Resetting original network settings  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.08.2007, 19:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005

I use Kanotix 2005-04 and for some reason my wlan stopped working with my local network set-up, which is statically configured (i.e. no dhcp), yet it works at various hotspot in airports etc, which do use dhcp.

The wlan also works on the same notebook on my local network with a static network configuration when running from the original Kanotix 2005-04 Live-CD. In other words, hardware, wlan router, cables etc, are all OK. Furthermore, my XP partition runs via the same non-dhcp wlan. Therefore I must just have I broken some configuration in the 2005-05 hd-install but have no idea what... Far from being a network expert I can only tell that when running the live 2005-04 cd, eth0, eth1, eth2 are shown in the KDE Network Settings (see screen1.gif), while in the broken hd-install, none of these are present (see screen2.gif directly below).

Does anyone have some ideas how I may be able to restore the default network settings of Kanotix 2005-04?

Many thanks for any tips!

PS: A scan for networks using kwifimanager show various nearby wlans including my own, however, the manual network configuration does simply not appear to take effect.

screen2.gif
 Beschreibung:
screen2.gif
 Dateigröße:  113.11 KB
 Angeschaut:  27284 mal

screen2.gif

screen1.gif
 Beschreibung:
screen1.gif
 Dateigröße:  101.57 KB
 Angeschaut:  27284 mal

screen1.gif

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: Resetting original network settings  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.08.2007, 21:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Boot computer with Kanotix LiveCD and set up your network cards as needed. Open /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf with KWrite and compare the network settings generated by the LiveCD with the settings stored on your hard drive. This should make it easier to find the problem.

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2007, 08:42 Uhr

Thanks for the tips. There does not seem to be anything wrong with those files. I also cleared /etc/network/interfaces and reconfigured the Wlan to be the only entry, just to be sure there can be no conflict.

My hd-install works fine with a manually configured network when using a wired lan for example.

However, I noticed an wlan related inconsistency between the hd-version and LiveCD in that when clicking on the Internet & Network -> Wireless Network in the KDE Control Center (or running 'kcmshell kcmwifi') and thereafter on Administrator Mode, the following error alert is returned:

Error executing iwconfig. WLAN configurations can only be altered if the wireless tools are properly installed.

Normally I don't use this Wlan alteration profile selector tool but the above error does NOT happen on the LiveCD. As such, maybe some important 'iwconfig' tools are missing?

Also, when the Wlan used to work with a manual non-dhcp configured network, the kwifimanager display widget measured the connection strength/speed of my assigned Wlan.

Now Instead, it appears as if the internal wlan card in the notebook simply doesn't recognise the fact that a manually configured setting should take presidence over some nearby coffeshop dhcp router. Yet, my manually configured network does take presidence in my XP partition on the same notebook.

Could the error perhaps relate to the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG firmware?

Is there an easy way to reinstall some of the core components like the ipw2200 driver and other necessary wlan (iwconfig?) components to try and restore Kanotix factory defaults?

Did Kano write some wlan related fix scripts?

The odd thing is that wlan access works just fine in case I happen to use a dhcp network, but not in a manually configured environment.

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2007, 17:51 Uhr

I testing iwconfig to see what that outputs. However, when running that, the shell returned "command not found".

At this point I thought I'd better try to reinstall 'wireless-tools' using KPackage, as I think wireless-tools contain iwconfig.

KPackage revealed that my system indeed has wireless-tools version 27+28pre11-1 onboard. So, first I tried to uninstall and purge the config files. But for some reason KPackage complained that it cannot "remove '/sbin/iwspy': Permission denied"...

This is odd because KPackage naturally runs with root permission. I then tried to peek at the relevant files by running ls -l in a root console, but this returned some even odder result:

Code:

root@tuxedo: cd /sbin/
root@tuxedo: ls -l | less
[cut...]
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 130476 Apr 21  2005 insmod.modutils
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    359 Apr 21  2005 insmod_ksymoops_clean
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  19288 May 29  2004 install-mbr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1512 Dec 11  2005 installkernel
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ip
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ip6tables
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ip6tables-restore
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ip6tables-save
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ipmaddr
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? ippool
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iptables
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iptables-restore
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iptables-save
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iptunnel
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? isapnp
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwconfig
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwevent
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwgetid
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwlist
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwpriv
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? iwspy
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? jfs_debugfs
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? jfs_fsck
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? jfs_fscklog
?--------- ? ?    ?         ?            ? jfs_logdump
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  59436 Jun 23  2005 jfs_mkfs
etc..

In between the various normal file listing, permissions are displayed in a way I've not seen before, ie. with question marks where filetype, executable, user, group and modification dates are normally shown:

?--------- ? ? ? ? ? ip

How exactly could this happen? I can't even chmod them back again. For example, in case my system is cracked, could there be a motive for the evil intruder to set these particular files without permissions as above?

Many thanks for any expert advise!

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2007, 20:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

echo -e auto lo\\niface lo inet loopback > /etc/network/interfaces

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.08.2007, 23:04 Uhr

Thanks for this tip, although I tried it, I'm not quite sure exactly what it does.

In any case I must have somehow removed all networking capabilities, including even the systems ability to recognize the existance of a wired lan, with the last KPackage manager action. For example, the netcardconfig command does no longer seem to exist, and the network configuration tool usually found via the KDE menu (K->Kanotix->Network/Internet->"Network card configuration") has also mysteriously gone Weinen

It would have been good to have found out what had gone wrong in the event it might happen again, though without any kind of networking possibility, I think I'm ready for a brand new 2005-04 install, but fortunately that's the easy part Sehr glücklich

gs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2007, 05:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

are you sure, you want to install 2005-04? To my knowledge this version cannot be updated any more....

I would try 2006rc4 and update to etch or else thorhammer - you can get the download link from kano in IRC

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2007, 06:57 Uhr

You're right, things like dist-upgrade or installing applications via a package manager simply won't work in most cases due to too many dependencies.

I've been using 2005-04 as a stable system for long, because I do not need the latest applications. Also, for my work I require a stable system while only having limited time to configure, testing things etc. Last time I tested something new was some Kanotix easter preview version, only for the system not to boot due to some unecessary pinguin splash screen....

That said, out of curiosity, what exactly is "thorhammer"? Is it an updated Kanotix?

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2007, 08:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Zitat:
That said, out of curiosity, what exactly is "thorhammer"? Is it an updated Kanotix?
It's a preview of Kanotix-2007-01, which Kano hopes to release later this year. The new release is based on Debian 4.0 "etch", but there's still some testing to do before it's "ready for the masses". Anyway, people who tested the preview reported only few problems. If you want to take a look at it, ask Kano for the download link. After the download, follow these steps:
1. The iso file is quite large (>700 mb), so you have to enable "overburn" when you create the CD with K3b.
2. Update the installer to the latest version before installing Thorhammer to hd:
Code:
su
fix-unionfs
update-scripts-kanotix.sh
apt-get update
apt-get install acritoxinstaller

3. After the installation, do a dist-upgrade to get updates and security fixes:
Code:
su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

4. Afterwards, you can download and install the latest kernel 2.6.22-9: http://kanotix.com/files/kernel/kernel- ... ack.tar.gz

If you have any questions, post them here or ask Kano on IRC.

tuxedo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.08.2007, 17:27 Uhr

Thanks for the explanation! I will wait with the testing until there is an official development or pre-release posted on the Kanotix site.

Thorhammer, nice name btw., and so it will surely be a big hit!!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.