19.03.2024, 11:07 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
eco2geek
Titel: ACPI/Laptop suspend to RAM/suspend to disk  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.09.2007, 04:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
(I don't have a lot of experience with this, so there may be errors and omissions.)

My CompTIA A+ book tells me that a laptop that truly supports ACPI will have controls for it in the BIOS. My laptop (Compaq Presario V2610US) doesn't. So ACPI functionality has to take place entirely in software.

Kanotix "Thorhammer" comes with KPowersave (as well as the "acpid" and "powersaved" daemons), but that didn't give me an option to suspend to disk or suspend to RAM. I installed "klaptopdaemon" (which shows up in the KDE Control Center as a new module, Power Control > Laptop Battery, as well as in the system tray) and went to the ACPI tab, and clicked the "Setup Helper Application" button. That put options for suspend to disk and suspend to RAM on the KPowersave menu.

(There's no need to have both KLaptopdaemon's battery monitor icon and KPowersave's battery monitor icon in the system tray, so I set KLaptopdaemon not to show its icon there.)

This laptop uses an ATI Radeon XPress 200M chipset. In order for suspend to disk to work, I had to use the "radeon" driver rather than the "fglrx" driver. I also had to pass "resume=/dev/sda6" (my swap partition) to the kernel in GRUB.

For suspend to RAM to work, I installed the uswsusp package, which is maintained by openSUSE. They have a two-part walkthrough on it (part 1, part 2). Long story short, it comes down to finding out whether your laptop is supported by the s2ram utility (mine isn't), and if not, finding the correct parameters to pass to it. After you do, you modify /etc/powersave/sleep and put in the working parameters, e.g.

SUSPEND2RAM_FORCE="yes"
SUSPEND2RAM_ACPI_SLEEP="1"

In order for suspend to RAM to work, I also had to disable the framebuffer (with "vga=0" as a kernel parameter). Makes for an ugly-looking startup.

One thing left unsolved is that I'd like the display's backlight to turn off when the screensaver ends and the screen blanks. It doesn't make sense to have a blank screen with the backlight still going. There's a utility (already installed) named radeontool that will turn on and off the backlight, but I haven't been able to make it work in conjunction with the screensaver yet. The backlight turns off for a moment, but then comes back on.

Actually, I'm a bit confused over which display power control takes precedence:
1) KControl > Peripherals > Display > Power Control;
2) KControl > Peripherals > Monitor & Display > Power saving;
3) KPowersave's display settings;
4) DPMI settings written into xorg.conf; or
5) "xset" settings (wherever they come from).

In any case, suspend to disk and suspend to RAM now work on this laptop.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.