19.03.2024, 10:32 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
wimme001
Titel: Howto "a lot of stuff"?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 12:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Dez 2006

Hi,

Yesterday I installed Kanotix on my hd.

I want to install Kismet on it but don't know how?
I downloaded the tar to my desktop but how can i install it ?

I also want to chance the grubloader so that it loads windows by default and not Kanotix.

I have a wide screen but can't change the screensize to 1280x800, I think I need to find the vga driver for this? (I have a Ati radeon x700 mobility)

I made a 500MB partition of LinuxSwap, but how can I check Kanotix is using it?

thx in advance

Wimme

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
hschn
Titel: Howto "a lot of stuff"?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 12:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mai 2006
open a konsole:

root

your password

apt-get update

apt-get install kismet

learn about to install programms in debian:
http://www.debian.org/doc/

good luck
hschn

Superrakete
Titel: Re: Howto "a lot of stuff"?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 13:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jul 2004
wimme001 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi,

Yesterday I installed Kanotix on my hd.

II also want to chance the grubloader so that it loads windows by default and not Kanotix.

Edit "/boot/grub/menu.lst" as root. For example in a console window:
Code:

su
mcedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and copy all the windows stuff after the line saying "### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" in front of the line saying "### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST". You can comment things you dont need. Normally you have
Code:
title Windows 2K/XP/2003 (hda1)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
in front of the -BEGIN- line.

Zitat:
I have a wide screen but can't change the screensize to 1280x800, I think I need to find the vga driver for this? (I have a Ati radeon x700 mobility)

I have no mobility radeon with widescreen but maybe:
Code:
su
fix-res 1280x800

then restart X with "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace"

Zitat:
I made a 500MB partition of LinuxSwap, but how can I check Kanotix is using it?

Code:
free
in a console window.

Daddy-G
Titel: 1280x800  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 13:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

Hi wimme001,

my notebook works with cheatcode screen=1280x800 in Kanotix just fine.
But you need the xmodule= cheatcode too (I have no ati card, so I can not remember the correct cheatcode)
Read the Introduction in the LiveCD (it's in English) or in the Wiki.

Follow the FAQ and the Wiki here, it's the best for this basic things.

(btw this is very helpfull here. I remember I had some trouble in kubuntu with changing to 1280x800 resolution missing the cheatcodes there)

greetz
Daddy-G
Winken

wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 14:30 Uhr

I have problem after I did:

apt-get update
apt-get install kismet

and I rebooted I only get a console, how can I get back to the Gui? And set it so that it always boots up the gui?

I hope I don't need to reinstall kanotix.

thx for the replies

Wimme

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 15:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
First you should tell us which version of Kanotix you have installed. Hopefully not the old 2005-4 since this one is quite difficult to update these days.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 20:59 Uhr

It is that one, would it be better if I would reinstall kanotix from a newer release? Like 2006-01-RC4 or do you have better more stable release?

If I would format the kanotix partition wouldn't that give problems for grub?

What is the best way to reinstall Kanotix and set the 500mb swap partition because it wasn't using any swapspace.

thank you in advance

Wimme

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 21:12 Uhr

In general it's better to use 2006-01-RC4, atleast there are no problems with upgrading it. You should just install it the same way like you have done with 2005-4 except you want to save some stuff from your home directory (in this case make an update-installation). After this it's a good idea to make a dist-upgrade (as root: 'apt-get update' + 'apt-get dist-upgrade' in runlevel 3 = no X running), this will bring you probably 550-600mb of newer packages. Can't say much about the swap partition usage. Depending from your available RAM the swap partition is maybe not often needed.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.12.2006, 14:14 Uhr

Hi,

I downloaded 2006-01-RC4 and tested it in VMWare where it worked fine. I then burnt it to a cd and tried to boot with it. This is where the problem started: It boots fine until it needs to show the OS GUI there the screen goes black and stays so until I push the power button. It does boot the OS GUI fine though because I heard the startup sound.

What I tried next is format the linux partition and retried to boot from the cd, which didn't was succesfull. And now I'am reinstalling 2005-04. I also noticed I couldn't start Windows XP anymore! How can I change the bootloader so that it would find the windows insallation?

thanks in advance

Wimme

edit: It is installed and works fine, I als can start windos. But now I'am at the same position as the beginning of the thread Traurig

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.12.2006, 20:11 Uhr

You gave up probably a bit fast since there are cheatcodes which should solve possible problems with the X system when booting. The cheatcode 'vsync=60' on the Grub commandline will fix possible problems with wrong frequency setting for your monitor. The cheatcode 'screen=1024x768' (replace with your wanted screen resolution) can be also useful. In case that your graphics adapter isn't correctly detected you can try 'xmodule=vesa' as a safe fallback.

wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.12.2006, 20:23 Uhr

thanks I'll try to get it booted if I succeed I'll update my install.

keep you posted.

Another question: I read a newspost about Kanotixcrewmembers leaving the project, does this mean the project will be discontinued?

thanks

Wimme

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.12.2006, 22:30 Uhr

Actually nobody (except Kano?) knows really where Kanotix is heading. It's true that several team members have left Kanotix for a new project called Sidux. Read the various forum threads. If you want to stay with Debian Sid then you have to migrate your system from Kanotix to Sidux (but *after* a successful installation of the latest Kanotix version).

wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.12.2006, 14:33 Uhr

I've updated my install with the 2006 version, the problem was the xmodule.
But now my changes to the grublist are of course gone.
Before I logged in as root and changed it with Kwrite but know I can't log in anymore as root only as the normal user.

Do you know how I can log in as root?

I also installed Kismet successfully but does anyone know how to start it?
If I start it (in console: kismet) it says something about kismet server and client? Do I need to start a kismet server and then use the kismet client?

thanks

Wimme

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.12.2006, 16:30 Uhr

I don't know if your current installation is affected by the kdesu bug (root password not accepted in KDE). So just open a Console, execute 'su' and type your root password. Once you are root just execute 'mc' (that's the Midnight Commander) and head to the Grub directory. Here you can edit the needed file with F4. When ready then just F2 to save the changes and F10 to leave mc and you are done. For Kismet you'll need someone else.

wimme001
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.12.2006, 17:38 Uhr

hi,

Everything was working great but now I had to do a reinstall of windows, the result being grubbootloader is removed from the MBR and now I can only boot windows.

Is there a way to add grub to the MBR ? Or do I need to do a reinstall of Kanoti too?

thx in advance

Wimme

datebro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.12.2006, 18:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Sep 2004

Boot with Kanotix-Cd, chose option Repair in the Kanotix-Installer, much luck

Gruß
Datebro

penguin.ch
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.12.2006, 18:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Dez 2006

wimme001 hat folgendes geschrieben::

Is there a way to add grub to the MBR?

You may give this "Grub Disk" a try ...

HTH
Birdy

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
falcon144
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.09.2007, 18:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Sep 2007

I was wondering how to get rid of the single click desktop. I prefer to double click my icons.

gs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.09.2007, 20:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

K-menu - kcontrolcenter - devices-mouse: here you can choose single or double click

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.