19.03.2024, 03:22 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
pfschim
Titel: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.03.2008, 20:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mar 2005
hey there Kanotix community.

I discovered Kanotix several years ago and ultimately figured out how to do a dual boot install to my HD. In the end, I had Suse10, WinXP and Kanotix64. In the intervening time, I killed the Kanotix64 install I had (don't remember how), and just went back to using WinXP as my main system.

I'd like to fix this and have downloaded the latest RC7 iso.

Can I get some advice on how to best figure out how to write over my original install. I've taken a look at it and it seems to me that Kanotix64 was on /dev/sda3. When I tried the built in HD installer, it offered me a number of options, but not one that clearly pointed at /dev/sda3.

can I get some guidance ?

thanks

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.03.2008, 21:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Code:
su
fdisk -l
will list the partitions of your hard drive.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
pfschim
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2008, 03:19 Uhr

ockham23 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Code:
su
fdisk -l
will list the partitions of your hard drive.

I used another tool from SUSE and did see that the old Kanotix64 partition was /dev/sda3. I was able to format the partition as Rieser (sp?) but when I tried pointing the automatic installer at that partition it failed.

So, what to do now ? I seem to recall an HDD install cmd that was run from the console ? no ? perhaps this would be a better HDD install method.

Also, as I already have GRUB and two other OS's (SUSE10 and WinXP) listed in it, how can I install Kanotix Thorhammer RC7 without disturbing the existing GRUB, yet have the new Kanotix appear in the old GRUB. I seem to recall that it was quite a pain (at least for a Linux noob like me) to get that all working right the last time.

suggestions ?

Thanks

gs
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2008, 06:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

use the Thorhammer livecd and its programm "gparted" to check your partitions and maybe formatting sda3 with ext3 might be better.
Then let the acritox-installer (K-menu-KANOTIX-acritoxinstaller) do its business - among the options offered by this installer, let it install grub to root-partition, i.e. sda3.
After the installer has finished, open as root /boot/grub/menu.lst from your SuSE install (the GRUB of which I assume had been installed into the MBR of your harddisk) and add, following the windows-entry.
title Kanotix-Thorhammer
kernel (hd0,2)
rootnoverify +1

You should now be able to select which OS to boot from when you start your computer again.

PS: You will find more information in the FAQ and the manual although some of it is outdated,
and also if you use the search function of the forum

Kano
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2008, 09:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

No, if you want to use chainload then use it right:

title Partition to start
chainloader (hdX,Y)+1

pfschim
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.03.2008, 04:27 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
No, if you want to use chainload then use it right:

title Partition to start
chainloader (hdX,Y)+1

hey Kano, thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to say though that my latest attempt to HDD install the latest RC7 has failed again. Using SUse10, I reformatted the /dev/sda3 partition, where Kaontix64 used to be, as ext3. But when I tried the Kanotix Acritox installer, it failed almost immediately. Problem seems to be (at least for non-german speakers like me) that it offers a number of install options, but some of the details are in german. Nowhere did it give the simple option to just install Kanotix to /dev/sda3.

Oh well, would have been nice to have it back on my system, but I guess thats not to be. IS there perhaps another way to do the HDD install ?

gs
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.03.2008, 07:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

after booting from the livecd, konqueror opens automatically showing a brief version of the current FAQs. Here you can choose English language and you will find a detailed howto - with pictures - on installing Kanotix to harddisk

Kano
Titel: Re: updating a very old Kanotx dual boot set-up  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.03.2008, 08:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

@pfschim

best visit irc and let me check your system.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.