19.03.2024, 11:33 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Poll
Have you installed Xorg 7.0 already?
yes
77%
 77%  [ 46 ]
no, not yet
22%
 22%  [ 13 ]
i will not use it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stimmen insgesamt : 59

Autor Nachricht
homer911
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.04.2006, 19:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jun 2005
About 30 Mins away from the Download ending - will let you know later.

My access time to kanotix.com is really slow today - Guess the site is getting even more popular

Homer

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
anticapitalista
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the pr  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.04.2006, 19:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
Boldie hat folgendes geschrieben::
I have done a dist-upgrade(stupid stupid n00b), followed all the steps recommended on the first page. X is dead, X is dead.. Well there are a problem with the fixed fonts. I get a message that says sometheing like this: "can't find fonts "fixed"". At first I got a message "cant open "Speedo"" but that I fixed by # it in Xorg.conf.

Any one?

Same here. Cannot boot into x at all even after doing the ln -s bit.
First upgrade went well, but this recent one went give me X.

EDIT: Re-downloaded the fix-xorg7.sh and all is ok.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
master_b
Titel: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solutions?  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 03:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Nov 2004

Saw that warning was gone from Forums re update/upgrade so attempted upgrade on my server - didn't work.

Followed same steps as worked for me previously (above) when had problems with another PC.

Now KDM wont run and "startx" gets "command not found" message.

Would prefer to fix problem rather than "upgrade" using 2006-Easter LiveCD.

Suggestions please.

Still have 2 more PCs and a laptop to update/upgrade, but not until all is stable.

Bill

Kano
Titel: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solutions?  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 03:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7

Crust
Titel: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solution  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 04:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

I had to change a line in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. ServerCmd=/usr/X11R6/bin/X was changed to ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xorg

The wiki article suggests the -br option for Xorg, but not sure what it does.

It's supposed to "create root window with black background", but not sure that's what it means. My system works fine without it.

-Crust

eco2geek
Titel: Re: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solu  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 06:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
Crust hat folgendes geschrieben::
I had to change a line in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. ServerCmd=/usr/X11R6/bin/X was changed to ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xorg

Aha, so that's what it was.

Crust hat folgendes geschrieben::
The wiki article suggests the -br option for Xorg, but not sure what it does.

It's supposed to "create root window with black background", but not sure that's what it means. My system works fine without it.

It changes that ugly gray crosshatch you see when X first comes up, and before kdm kicks in, to a black one, which looks much better. On some monitors, like my 17" LCD, the gray crosshatch also flickers.

Purely cosmetic, but nice. (One of Kanotix's scripts, fix-dpi-kdm, actually appends "-br" to the "ServerArgsLocal=" line instead of the "ServerCmd=" line.)

feffer777
Titel: After dist-upgrade appearance problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 06:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
After d-u, I had some probs getting into kde but this was solved by making a sym-link to X as has been described by devil and others. Then booting into kde was normal, but the desktop appearance was distorted. All my fonts and icons were huge. Also the launch panel was squished and unreadable. Reset monitor res to 1024x768, but the problem continued. Did "/usr/sbin/fix-dpi-kdm 75" and tried 96, 72. This helped the default font size. So I went to Control Center and adjusted icon size and the launch panel, and then things got back to normal. I tried several apps and they all seemed to look and work fine. There are still a few appearance problems in some apps, though. I did "fix-fonts -e" after the d-u, of course.

Open Office is set for 12 point Bitstream Vera Serif, but it looks like about 16 point. I suppose I can adjust this for on screen viewing and then change it for printing, but that's not a great solution. Audacity has very oversized fonts throughout and I can't see any way to adjust this. Any ideas on this last little upgrade issue?

Regards,
Ron

mzilikazi
Titel: After dist-upgrade appearance problems  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.04.2006, 17:35 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
After upgrade x-cursor-theme was no longer obeyed. Simple fix:

cp -ar /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/default/ /usr/share/icons/

I also use the silver cursor theme. Any theme you want to use must now live in /usr/share/icons

cp -ar /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/silver/ /usr/share/icons

Also GDM is hosed the same way KDM is and not so suprisingly the fix is the same.

mcedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

These lines must change:

Code:
Xnest=/usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest -audit 0 -name Xnest

# Add -terminate to make things behave more nicely
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -terminate

# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 96 -audit 0

[server-Chooser]
name=Chooser server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0

Simply remove all instances of X11R6 and change X to Xorg. New paths should be:

/usr/bin/Xnest
/usr/bin/Xorg

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
master_b
Titel: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solutions?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.04.2006, 01:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Nov 2004

Tried update and dist-upgrade on another PC with kanotix installed.

Followed previous advice which fixed first PC, but this time got a whole list of dependency problems:-

xbase-clients
xutils >=4.1.0-12
xserver-common
xcontrib
lbxproxy
xdm
xfs
xfwp
xprint
xvfb
xserver-xorg

Gave up and did "update" from 2006-Easter livecd, which in turn failed to complete boot after install - see new thread.

Bill

kenyee
Titel: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solution  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.04.2006, 03:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2006

Two quick questions:
- is it safe to try this yet?
- is there any way to do a backup before doing it?
Yep, I'm a chicken Smilie

jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Have you installed Xorg 7.0? what are the probs/solution  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.04.2006, 05:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
it's safeish

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 06:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

The weekend is just around the corner and would be a good time to do a dist-upgrade. I have done the original 6.9->7 dist-upgrade and everything is OK after using the fix-org7 script but have stopped dist-upgrading since reports of further problems surfaced. Now everything seems to be under control. May I ask if there are things I can do beforehand so as to have a smooth dist-upgrade? Like deleting some bin folder? Or copying some default icons to /usr/share/icons? I know I should update, dist-upgrade, download the fix and run it. Any help will be appreciated. Running lite regularly dist-upgraded, and using nvidia.

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 07:25 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
stryder,
you should have a smooth upgrade now, if the first step is done already. the only thing i could imagine would be, that some app says, can´t copy to /usrX11R6/bin, cause not empty. simply rename /usrX11R6/bin to .old or whatever, and you´ll be good to go.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 09:07 Uhr

Thanks devil... Winken Am still clueless as to what the fuss is all about as everything looks and runs the same as always. But I do like to be up to date, which I will be by this weekend.

kenyee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 12:53 Uhr

Looks like I'm one of the ones that had xserver-xorg removed after a dist-upgrade (mentioned in Wiki). If it says it's going to remove it, do *NOT* go through w/ the upgrade. I can't figure out how to reinstall xserver-xorg. It won't let me reinstall (complains about a lot of dependencies it doesn't know how to install)-:

After a deep google dig, it seems others are also having problems w/ 64-bit Debian:
http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/linux ... 0-a-2.html
http://www.grep.be/blog/en/computer/debian/the_edge/

Thought it seems jackiebrown got his 64-bit Kanotix working someone (but had the same error msgs):
http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t ... rt-15.html

jackie: any tips on how you got your X back up? It seems like there are missing packages in the 64-bit debian repository (all the video/input ones don't seem to be installable).

UPDATE: fixed the missing dependency problems by adding another repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib
Apparently, the amd64.debian.net repository doesn't have the all the latest packages. Now I can at least install everything (xserver-xorg-input*, xserver-xorg-video*) except xserver-xorg. xserver-xorg uses a program called whiptail which depends on libnewt 0.51 (only version available in repository is 0.52, so whiptail is out of date). I'll have to wait until whiptail is updated to use the new libnewt library before I can install xserver-xorg Auf den Arm nehmen

UPDATE2:
Downloaded libnewt0.51 from here: http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/down ... unofficial
Then did apt-get remove libnewt0.52 to uninstall the later one.
Then did dpkg -i to install libnewt0.51
Then did apt-get install xserver-xorg to install Xorg 7.0 finally
When I do the install-nvidia-debian.sh, it blows up (segfault) doing a gcc-version-check. At least I'm closer and X is installed Smilie
I'd bet I can switch my xorg.conf driver to nv instead of nvidia and run X, though I'm puzzled as to why the nvidia driver install blows up now...

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 20:42 Uhr

kenyee,
The amd64 repositories are now obselte. Nothing new is going into them. Just use the regular http://ftp.debian.org/debian one now

Zuletzt bearbeitet von jackiebrown am 21.04.2006, 23:37 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

kenyee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 21:06 Uhr

I didn't know they were obsolete Auf den Arm nehmen
I'll update the Xorg69To7 Wiki to mention this. This would definitely explain why some people are having problems with xserver-xorg mysteriously disappearing Traurig

Looks like I've got an ugly issue w/ the nvidia installer (happens when running nVidia's .run file so it's not a bug in Kanotix' install-nvidia-debian.sh script):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68892

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 23:36 Uhr

Try this
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8756-pkg2.run --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.04.2006, 23:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
kenyee, the 64 bit repos being moved has nothing to do with xorg/xserver isssues in the transition.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

kenyee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.04.2006, 00:00 Uhr

devil: my sources.list was pointing at the old amd64 repo. Because of that, it was missing xserver-xorg-video-* so my entire xserver-xorg tree was removed during the dist-upgrade. Once I pointed my sources.list at the ftp.debian repo, I got xserver-xorg back. Seems related to the Xorg7 transition IMHO...

jackie: thanks...now I get an nVidia splash screen! But it complains that it can't find the fixed font. I looked at all the other font paths in xorg.conf. It looks like they're all gone! I'll bet they were all removed when xserver-xorg was removed. And there's no xorg-fonts package to install. Dohh...one step closer.

Could not init font path element /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/, removing from list!
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

======
my /usr/share/fonts/X11 directory looks like this:

$ ls /usr/share/fonts/X11/
encodings fonts.cache-1 misc util

UPDATE3: getting closer: installed the "xorg" which in turn loaded the xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, and xfonts-Type1 packages. Now that font directory looks like:
100dpi 75dpi Type1 encodings fonts.cache-1 misc util
I did have to run mkfontdir on the 3 new directories before startx would stop complaining about missing those fonts. When installing the font packages, they complained:
usage error: unrecognized option
Usage: update-fonts-dir DIRECTORY ...
usage error: unrecognized option
Usage: update-fonts-alias DIRECTORY ...

The font packages seem to have gone out of date w/ xfont-utils...the font packages seem to be using a new parameter that xfont-utils doesn't have yet...

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.04.2006, 11:07 Uhr

Perhaps it is my good fortune, but udev just won't install, even with apt-get install -f. Didn't need the xorg7 fix but ran fix-fonts -e for good luck. Everything else went fine and I am up and running. Peeked into kde and am running fluxbox as usual... all OK. Will probably hold off another dist-upgrade till udev is sorted out. Yes, I am using a usb mouse.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.04.2006, 13:46 Uhr

OK, I just dist-upgraded and udev upgraded fine. Everything seems to be working. On boot up there were quite a few errors involving udev and the kernel that I couldn't catch so perhaps I might run into some problems later. But usb mouse working fine.

turtaf
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.04.2006, 15:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Aug 2005
Hi I just installed new X and I'm experiencing a small problem with my touhpad:

It'sone of those touchpads with the scrolling option on the right.

well X doesn't detect it and when I use it my cursor just goes up and down

as I'm addicted to use my scrolling option, how can I fix this problem?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen MSN Messenger  
jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.04.2006, 18:09 Uhr

make sure that
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
is installed

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.04.2006, 20:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

turtaf hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi I just installed new X and I'm experiencing a small problem with my touhpad:

It'sone of those touchpads with the scrolling option on the right.

well X doesn't detect it and when I use it my cursor just goes up and down

as I'm addicted to use my scrolling option, how can I fix this problem?

do a dist-upgrade. i've been going crazy with that same problem for the last day or two. just did a dist-upgrade and the problem is now gone. the last dist-upgrade included a bump to udev - i'm guessing that is where the problem was.

umm I also think I did a minor change to my touchpad config via ksynaptics just to force it to write new config settings. that may have helped too (i enabled, then disabled, horizontal scrolling and then saved the "new" settings (w/o actual change, just to force-save the settings to xorg.conf)

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.