28.03.2024, 09:13 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Mike Shepard
Titel: Dist-Upgrade of 2005-04 Problem / Font Problem Solved  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 07:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Mai 2005

I wasn't going to post this until another person had the same problem in the irc so hopefully this helps others. I ran a dist-upgrade and afterwords gdm (other person ran kdm) and X would not load. After looking at the error logs I realized it was a problem with fonts not being found. I tried running the fix-xorg7.sh script (which ran fine on my other computer) and it wanted to remove alot of vital programs such as: amarok, gdm, kopete, gtk, etc. (Yes, I know it's not supposed too, but I restored and tried 3 different times and it was the same result). So I manually redid the symbolic links of: 100dpi, 75dpi, encodings, & Type1, from directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts/ to /usr/share/fonts/X11/ . And presto, everything works perfectly again. Hope this helps Sehr glücklich

Cheers,
Mike

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Mike Shepard am 17.05.2006, 09:17 Uhr, insgesamt 2 Male bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
hubi
Titel: Dist-Upgrade of 2005-04 Problem Solved  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 08:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Great!

Would be nice if somebody could confirm that's the way we should do it, because everybody has the problem with missing directories when doing fix-fonts.

Could you please adjust the title of this thread so that it can be seen it's about missing font-directories or fix-fonts, so everybody can see what the thread is about and you found a solution.

Thanks
hubi

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
devil
Titel: Dist-Upgrade of 2005-04 Problem Solved  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 08:32 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
hubi,
if fix-xorg dont do it, the way Mike did it, is ok. You could set a symlink as well.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 08:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

hubi

When you've fixed it, could you please add the script you used here. I already appear to have all 75dpi and 100dpi fonts in /usr/share/fonts/x11/etc but still get the error.

drb

Mike Shepard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 09:17 Uhr

drb hat folgendes geschrieben::

When you've fixed it, could you please add the script you used here. I already appear to have all 75dpi and 100dpi fonts in /usr/share/fonts/x11/etc but still get the error.

drb

You don't need a script, just add a symbolic link for those directories in you /usr/lib/X11/fonts.

# su
# cd /usr/lib/X11/fonts
# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi 100dpi
# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi 75dpi
# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings encodings
# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1 Type1

after that, your errors should be gone and if you had the dist-upgrade problem, you should now be able to enter X. Sehr glücklich

Cheers,
Mike

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 13:51 Uhr

Thank you, Mike,

I'll fix that myself in the evening.

hubi

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 14:02 Uhr

Question to all!

Just an idea, but I am an illiterate at this question:

/usr/lib/X11/fonts is a symlink itself and points to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

Question:
should /usr/lib/X11/fonts not point to /usr/share/fonts where all my fonts are and not to the "old" target? Looks to me like a change from Xorg6 to Xorg7. But I am not sure if I am right.

hubi

Mike Shepard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 14:36 Uhr

In my setup /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts has the same symbolic links in it as I told you to put in /usr/lib/X11/fonts. So both directories should point to /user/share/fonts/X11/ with the directory names I listed above. Does that anwser your question?

Cheers,
Mike

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 14:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Mike,

Thanks; no errors now!

drb

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 17:26 Uhr

Mike Shepard hat folgendes geschrieben::
In my setup /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts has the same symbolic links in it as I told you to put in /usr/lib/X11/fonts. So both directories should point to /user/share/fonts/X11/ with the directory names I listed above. Does that anwser your question?

Cheers,
Mike

Great! That's the answer. My /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts was no symlink, the fonts were in there. So linking to /user/share/fonts/X11/ is the answer I was looking for.

Last puzzle solved, thanks
hubi

Mike Shepard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.05.2006, 22:43 Uhr

Glad to hear you got it working Smilie

-Mike

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.