29.03.2024, 00:50 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Scodge
Titel: Skype Very Flaky  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 09:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Dez 2005
Hi All,

I am using the standard Kanotix 2005-04 distribution - only apt-get updates, no apt-get dist upgrade. Everything works great but for one thing - Skype.

I can successfully launch Skype and log on to my account. I can then use it to make a call, and get through to the friend on the other end of the line - BUT, after about, 30 seconds of clear, normal sound the quality suddenly begins to deteriorate - the line drops out for a few seconds, then comes back, then goes again. It is impossible to hold a conversation. This is really bugging me because such an intermittent fault is always the most difficult to cure. Also, my wife needs Skype to talk to her family back in Taiwan, so this means that I have to keep Windows XP, plus all the aggravation associated with maintaining security, virus checkers, trojan sweepers - all that good Bill stuff we know and loathe and want to eliminate from our lives entirely.

I know this is a difficult one, but any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received (as always).

Scodge.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Gowator
Titel: RE: Skype Very Flaky  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 10:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
Skype uses a self correction algorithm for the 'line quality', it could be this is kicking in but for some reason not working properly.
I have found that skype grabs the sound device and wants 100% access so I tend to close down everything possibly using sound.
There is a hack fix which prevents it hijacking the sound like this but I haven't tried since for me it works so long as I close any multimedia stuff.

You might also have some settings to play with in the mixer depending on your sound card, like mike boost etc. anything to do with boosting or balancing the sound dynamically could be fighting with the skype routine for doing this.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Scodge
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 13:16 Uhr

Gowater,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think I was using any other multimedia devices when I was attempting to try Skype, but I'll try simply shutting down every other application to give Skype full ownership of anything it wants.

By the way - you mention a hack (just in case I still have a problem) - where is it available?

Many thanks.

Scodge

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 14:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
hack is here
http://195.38.3.142:6502/skype/

haven't used it myself but Id be interested in your experience Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Scodge
Titel: Skype Still Very Flaky  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.05.2006, 17:14 Uhr

Gowator,

No, the hack did not help. Sadly I'm still stuck with XP as the only functioning copy of Skype. I also tried downloading the KLIK version - but again had the same problem.

Just a bummer.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Scodge.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.