23.04.2024, 15:36 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
gs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.06.2006, 21:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

it did work alright - thanks once more Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
zonker666
Titel: thanks  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.07.2006, 21:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jun 2006

Broke (seriously) two kanotixBoxes trying to update Traurig
Found this thread and used your script, one time dist-upgrade was all that was needed for everything to work. Thanks a lot for this

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 05:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

zonker, that's good to hear. Which kanotix installs did you break then get running again? The versions, that is. It's always good to know what has worked for other people.

zonker666
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 12:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jun 2006

uhm, i didn't get anything running again, im running easter ed. rc4. The two tries i made without your script i ended up in a real mess with no swap partition due to some error (super block?), unable to mount /var, /tmp, /usr and /home (they are on differen partitions than /) and a recovery console to fix all that with. Having just installed kanotix and being a General Linux n00b i simply gave up and reinstalled. So your script was used on a clean rc4 installation

kmoffat
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 14:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mai 2005

Should the machine automatically switch to runlevel 3, shutting down X and finishing the install after a dist-upgrade? Seems my X shuts down but then I go to a gdm login. I am running gnome and the easter install.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 20:41 Uhr

kmoffat, it's not clear what you did, but this is what it sounds like:

<<< Should the machine automatically switch to runlevel 3 >>>
You should have been in runlevel 3 before doing the update, and during the update.

<<< shutting down X and finishing the install after a dist-upgrade >>>
X should have been shut down before you started, and during the dist-upgrade. Only once the dist-upgrade was completely finished should x be started again.

Did you do a dist-upgrade in x, in gnome? That's what it sounds like, that's a very risky thing to do, often results in failure of the installation.

kmoffat
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 22:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mai 2005

I was trying out the Kanotix-upgrade-GUI from gnome's system menu. It is, I believe, supposed to download the upgrades, then switch to runlevel 3 automatically to apply the upgrades, but all I got was a gdm login instead of runlevel 3. I later did a dist-upgrade after shutting down X and the files had been downloaded, just not installed. I assumed a bug in the gui, perhaps relating to my using gnome over kde. Just guessing...

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.07.2006, 22:46 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
kmoffat,
it could be that it dont work with gnome correctly, but i dont recommend kugui for dist-upgrades anyways.
for kernel-upfates it is ok, for d-u i preferr plain apt always.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.07.2006, 01:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
h2 - cool script - seemed to work great. I tried the kernel update option too, and it seemed to remove my other grub entries (ones that pointed to different partitions that I didn't want removed) ... I think it did this, or did I imagine it ... I've been making so many changes lately ... but I thought I'd mention it in case I'm right.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.07.2006, 04:13 Uhr

The kernel upgrade option simply automates the kanotix FAQ page kernel install, as well as select the appropriate 32/64 bit newest stable kernel for installation.

The grub changes are done by kano's kernel installer script, not by this dist-upgrade script. This script simply triggers kano's kernel installer script. You are right in thinking that menu.lst is changed, but that's always been the case.

Now that you mention it it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to create a backup of /boot/grub/menu.lst so users can get back any menu.lst changes they've done if they want. I make the script make backups of most of the other changed config files, so no reason not to backup menu.lst as well.

SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.07.2006, 05:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jun 2006

h2, I notice that in the tech patterns post you say we have to do "update-modules" after a kernel upgrade to continue using the script, but if you type "man update-modules" it states that it is an obsolete command. I was just wondering if using it was really necessary.

Also, if I understand correctly, the script only downloads the curren kernel, right? It does not have an option to download the "up" kernel. Reason for this is that I need the slh-up kernel to have suspend-to-ram support (also, what else does this kernel have that the stock kernel doesn't?). I just use the Kanotix-Update-Gui for those kernels.

One of the few problems that I have encountered (not with the script) in doing a dist-upgrade is that in synaptic, when it is installing something, the font is all messed up, showing a bunch of gibberish. Of course, I can just copy and paste that into KWrite and read but... And yes, I did install synaptic after the dist-upgrade.

Here is a picture to better explain:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9239/snapshot14dk.png

Hmm, is this fixable?

EDIT:Forgot to say that I fixed the problem with synaptic. All I had to do was specify a custom terminal font that was not Sans.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von SaberBlaze am 15.07.2006, 12:10 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.07.2006, 05:50 Uhr

I'm just following the procedure in the update kanotix kernel page, but I can say that running update-modules does something or other, and if there are no modules to update, it tells you that too. Also, today I noticed that alsaconf runs that. So unless there's a good solid reason given not to do that by somebody who actually knows for sure, I'll keep recommending it.

You can get the uniprocessor kernel by simply switching the values in the top variable listings, the latest is listed there. Make sure script is updated before you start so you don't lose your changes. The latest kernels are all listed, I just only use kernel-current and the latest 64 bit. But the other ones, when applicable, are also listed there if you want to use them.

I'll probably add the kernel version selection option to the kernel installer function, but I actually want to keep this pretty basic, and avoid specialized stuff that in my opinion newer users are safer not doing.

I can't say a word about synaptic, I haven't seen it in over a year, don't use it.

gtpeacock
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 03:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jul 2005
Let's get back to the original post. I have the identical problem! After a recent dist-upgrade, hotplug complains that it cannot identify my mouse, and my wireless card fails to load. I can get both working with modprobe psmouse and modprobe rt2500, but I cannot seem to figure out how to make them stick when rebooting. I have added both to /etc/modules, but the next time I boot, they are not included. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to make modules load at boot? Using kernel 2.6.17.

Debian_Disciple
Titel: Thanks  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.07.2006, 05:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Jul 2006

h2 I just wanted to thank you and the kanotix team I have been using Linux on and off for the last 7 years and I must say kanotix is one of the easiest installs I have ever done. not only that I think I have finally found a true home with Debian/SID it has everything I have been looking for in a distro 1. Current software 2. great tools 3. an easy upgrade path Sehr glücklich it will be so nice not having to download and burn new ISO's every 6 months to stay current Cool H2 thanks to your script the distro upgrade was painless for me thanks a million Cool I have loved my Debian experience thus far and I hope to keep learning and contributing has much as I can.

DD

al3
Titel: RE: Thanks  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.07.2006, 07:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

Maybe this script should be part of Kanotix itself? Have you offered it to Kano?

Al

h2
Titel: RE: Thanks  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.07.2006, 08:30 Uhr

It's fine the way it is now in my opinion, users are free to use it if they want, and not to if they don't want. Plus it needs to be on my server for several different reasons. And it's missing some security features in terms of stopping unsafe upgrades automatically, which also would need to run on my server for the same types of reasons.

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Thanks  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 01:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
I tried d-u'ing a kanotix install running 2.6.14 kernel (and also I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.17) and I tried doing it without h2's script, as I've always d-u'd manually in the past, and I thought that if I used a script then I wouldn't know what it was actually doing and I wouldn't learn anything. But I got myself into trouble (once again) and X wouldn't boot and I couldn't install the nvidia driver. I ran to Kano on IRC and he told me how to fix it ... I hadn't run the fix-xorg7.sh script ... ran that and then everything went smoothly.

I needed to d-u another old kanotix box running 2.6.14 kernel, but this time I used h2's script to do the kernel upgrade and also the dist-upgrade. Everything went so smoothly, and it did everything including the fix-xorg7.sh script. Moreover, it told me exactly what it was doing and gave me the choice to do each stage or not ... so I knew what was going on.

Thank you h2 for making the script say clearly what it was doing!

Most scripts don't tell you the commands they are running, and so you just see a lot of output that doesn't seem to relate to anything. I remember when I came across "dvdwizard" ... it was the first script I saw that said 'running command "xxx yyy zzz"' and would then run the command. A very transparent script.

SaberBlaze
Titel: Latest Dist-Upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 05:17 Uhr

Well, I think about 2 days ago I dist-upgrade, and everything ran fine as usual. Well, I wanted to log out, and I did, nothing unusual there. However, when I logged out a second time, my computer froze. Since it sat there doing nothing for several minutes and it wasn't taking in any keyboard or mouse input, I held the power button until the computer shut off. When I turned it on again, I knew that the filesystem would not be clean because my computer had gotten stuck once before, so I booted to runlevel three, sure enough it stated that the filesystem was not clean, I tried fixing it with reiserfsck, but the computer froze in the middle of a rebuild tree operation. So I had to use the livecd to fix it. Now, for me at least, any livecd fails to boot after a messed up reiserfs partition (my guess is that it tries to automount it or something).

To make a long story short, I got the livecd to boot and fixed the partition from there (second time I had to do that). But since this was like the third time that I had rebuilt the reiserfs tree, the distro was useless. The folder "lost+found" was filled with countless files, and all I ended up with was a terminal when I tried to boot into it. I suppose I could have tried to fix the partition using apt to reinstall all packages, but since the whole partition was messed up, my ethernet card did not work. So I use the livecd to back some stuff up to a usb drive, and downloaded the kanotix-2006-easter-rc4 cd.

Before installing it, I zero-filled the partition, and the install went smooth. I dist-upgraded again, installed some programs that I use, I logged out, and the same thing happened. The computer froze. I waited for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. So I used the livecd to check the partition, no corruptions where found, so I booted into it and now I don't want to log out in fear that it will happen again. It seems the only way to log out now is to kill the x server, but sometimes when I install something, the changes take effect when I log out, and I don't know if killing the x server shuts some processes off or not.

I'm pretty sure it's not any of new programs that I use that are not in the base install of kanotix that causes this. The only ones I think of right now are abiword, openoffice, kpowersave and a few others I think. Some people might think that it is kpowersave that is causing the problems, but between this dist-upgrade that I did and the last one, kpowersave has not been updated.

Does anyone else have this problem? It usually happens around the second time I log out. Can maybe someone try logging out and in a couple of times with the latest dist-upgrade and see what happens? Thanks.

piper
Titel: RE: Latest Dist-Upgrade  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 05:40 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Hmm, bad harddrive, ram, motherboard, excessive heat, bad burn, could be kpowersave.

I would try and install again and not do anything to it (add apps, d-u) and run it like that for a few hours and see if you are still locking up, if not, add one app at a time that way you might catch if it is indeed a app that is causing the lockups, if all goes well try a d-u again, time consuming yes, but you might be able to see what is causing the lockups, I wouldn't have used reiserfsck on the "not clean part", most of the time you can boot into the system, then reboot and it will be fine and not show as "not clean".

Zuletzt bearbeitet von piper am 22.07.2006, 05:46 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 05:44 Uhr

Well, actually I spend yesterday testing the 2006 rc4 release and nothing happened, it was only until today that I dist-upgrade, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll run memtest later when I have the time though.

Edit:I also forgot to say that I have an ati card, so it might just be some rare bug or something, although I have been lucky and never had any problems with the fglrx drivers with any distro before, it might just be causing problems now. Also, regarding the faulty hardware, I dual boot windows and everything is fine on that end. Thanks for your help.

SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 09:33 Uhr

Well, memtest did not reveal any errors, and the problem seems to be fixed by using a different kdm theme than the default one. Thanks for your help though.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.