19.03.2024, 04:28 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.09.2006, 04:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

script can now be started with -p option to not use pdiffs for apt-get update. Check the -h option for full option list.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ironwalker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.10.2006, 04:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
fontconfig fix doesnt fix my ttf-opensymbol problem as mentioned above.................any suggestions?

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 05:04 Uhr

Version 3.9.29 of the script should now be able to take an older 2005-4 or cebit install through the xserver upgrade without a major problem.

I want to emphasize though, doing a du on an older install is a long process, and requires a lot of install -f to get it working.

Unless you have a very good reason to do this, I recommend using the update-install option using the latest livecd, now 2006-01 rc4.

The problems only applied to non upgraded systems using old xorg stuff, so if you've been doing fairly regular dist-upgrades, this won't affect you.

You will see one new fix appear one time, but it shouldn't make any difference to most users who have reasonably up to date installs.

This issue came up because of a du failure on a vanilla 2005-4 install, with xserver-common. That is now fixed in the script. You may also see the xorg fix question again, if you've already upgraded your xorg to version 7 or greater before, you don't need to run this fix.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 09:10 Uhr

Version 3.10.0 has a fairly complete openoffice.org installer.

You can pick your language, then it will install the correct language pack, and thesaurus/help/dictionary if one is available.

It will also ask you what desktop integration you want, kde/gnome/none to install the correct ooo integration package.

The_Seeker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 12:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Feb 2006
Zitat:

Version 3.10.0 has a fairly complete openoffice.org installer.

You can pick your language, then it will install the correct language pack, and thesaurus/help/dictionary if one is available.

Thanks h2, that's a really good idea.

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 22:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

h2,

Great script.
The install packages menu seems to have the exit menu mislabeled as 10 when it should be 11.
Just wanted to give you feedback.

Thanks again.

-Crust

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 23:23 Uhr

Version 3.10.3: 2 new options:
  1. removes all detected -de German language packages. This is located in Package Removal section.
  2. installs h2 favorite packages, sysv-rc-conf, nano. This is located in the Package Install section. Only use this if you understand what freeze does, and what sysv-rc-conf does.

Freeze is what keeps new services installed from starting automatically. This is a good feature for new users, but not important to have if you manage your system more actively, in fact, it's a pain in many cases. sysv-rc-conf is a console service/daemon manager. Installing sysv-rc-conf basically disables freeze from what I can tell.

The h2-favorites over time will add more features and tweaks as I get bored of doing setup stuff manually, so it will always reflect how I want the stuff setup. This may not be how you want it setup, so use it with that in mind.

Crust, yes, I caught that mistake today, that's what happens when you do this late at night. But thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 00:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

Great job. Just was pointing it out in case you missed it, but you were already aware of it. Smilie

Is there a down side to removing all the -de German language packages? (I only use English, can't understand any German.)

-Crust

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 02:40 Uhr

no downside if you have no need for German. For default installs, the de stuff is necessary because Kanotix is first a German, then a global, distribution. So removing them just makes for fewer packages to upgrade. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, finally got around to it today.

h2-favorites will soon probably get the new firefox tweak I learned that finally once and for all gets rid of the gtk file handling dialogue box and replaces it with a more user friendly dialogue.

rich.bradshaw
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 09:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

just to reiterate - this script is one of the best things to happen to dist-upgrades in Kanotix ever! Thanks a lot h2!

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 13:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

I'd bet straight Debian users can benefit from such a script like h2's...there are a lot of dist-upgrade minefields out there that can BREAK a plain Debian install.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.10.2006, 19:05 Uhr

version 3.10.5 now offers option to run nvidia installer with -c option, which will force the install of latest beta nvidia driver, and enables composite rendering. This will be of interest mainly for beryl testers, but it's also useful for regular users who are happy with beta driver performance.

<update>I have found a small bug with 9626 beta driver, that keeps the flash movies on this site from correctly running: http://cbs5.com

The movies hang during the opening commercial and don't move on to the actual content.

I guess I'll post this on nvidia forums since this bug does not seem to have anything to do with which flash version you run according to others, 7 or 9 beta.

To get around this, I just change the 9626 to 9625 on this line of install-nvidia-debian.sh after the kanotix scripts have updated in du-fixes, but before I run the graphics driver install [currently line 71]:

[ "$VER" = "1.0-8776" -a "$1" = "-c" ] && VER=1.0-9625

For those of you who don't know, you can move to a different console during the du script, or anything else, by hitting ctrl+alt+f2, or f3, any f up to f6. Then login, edit the other script as root, save, and go back to du-fixes with ctrl+alt+f1

XOn
Titel: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2006, 17:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Aug 2004
Hi there,

thank you for this good script,
but it doesn't work for me on an 2005-03 CD-upgraded AMD64..

I was looking all over the net for "pieces" of commands that could bring
any changes to the situation and finally found - after three days of searching- this hint:
Zitat:
Even when reinstalling fontconfig and fontconfig-config a rebuild of the cache fails, because the installer thought fonts.conf was modified and therefore didn't update it. After copying fonts.conf.dpkg-dist to fonts.conf everything went fine and any dependent packages could be configured.

(http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=9303)

It's no big thing, but doing so can maybe safe a lot of time.
Therefore, i want to distributed this easy solution for Kanotix-Users with a
similar configuration and a resulting non working h2-script.

Greets,
XOn

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden AIM-Name  
h2
Titel: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2006, 21:45 Uhr

Just search the script itself for the fixes, they are all in there:

Code:
echo "${S}Removing old ${C}/etc/fonts${S} file.${N}"
            rm -rf /etc/fonts
            echo "${S}Running ${C}fontconfig${S} fix.${N}"
            apt-get install --reinstall --yes -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confmiss -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confnew fontconfig fontconfig-config

Unfortunately there's no way to actually support earlier versions, or unknown debian installs, since I have no idea what they contain, how they are configured, etc.

I'd like to support debian, but it's not possible since many kanotix fixes are actually released as debs from the kanotix repositories, and without those the fixes won't work.

XOn
Titel: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2006, 22:38 Uhr

Code:
echo "${S}Removing old ${C}/etc/fonts${S} file.${N}"
            rm -rf /etc/fonts
            echo "${S}Running ${C}fontconfig${S} fix.${N}"
            apt-get install --reinstall --yes -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confmiss -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confnew fontconfig fontconfig-config

I can't really figure out, what these lines will do, but they didn't help five times i ran your script...?
If i understand these lines just a little bit, they only "remove" anything inside the /etc/font directory ?
But "copying fonts.conf.dpkg-dist to fonts.conf " had helped for me..

Greets,
XOn

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.10.2006, 00:50 Uhr

it removes the /etc/fonts directory, then reconfigures the fonts package, which creates among other things a new fonts.conf file.

However, I can't support old installs as I said, it's simply not possible, especially not 64 bit installs, which I barely test, I use version detection all over the place, so you can't just run the script and expect anything to work even if you comment out the version detection parts. The entire fixes section relies on version detection, so nothing will run if you don't use it.

This is a kanotix 2005-4 and newer only script, sorry. Besides, I tested a dist-upgrade on 64 bit 2005-3 kanotix and it failed, so that was that for me, no point in continuing.

Currently I am just barely able to support 2005-4 as it is, I thought I'd have to give up on that last week after some test du failures, but I got it running again, barely. But that's it, nothing earlier, in any shape or form will be supported.

Also, running the script more than one time for many fixes won't do any good, since most fixes are set to run only one time, then not run again on subsequent running.

Sorry I can't help more.

XOn
Titel: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.10.2006, 10:47 Uhr

Zitat:
The entire fixes section relies on version detection,

That could it have been...
but nevertheless, good work.
I used it then for a d-u and kernel update.
For that it need to run in init 3, i guess it will work more properly than a graphical d-u.
Thanks.

XOn

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.10.2006, 20:17 Uhr

If you do a graphical du, then you should expect your system to fail.

I do a lot of testing on this script, so any attempt to bypass any built in script protections without doing heavy testing on that change on at least one, ideally several, test systems is probably going to result in failure.

All protections are there for a reason, and the script cut off point of 2005-4, and not running on any other debian type system, are also there for reasons.

So if anyone is tempted to do that, please do not ask for support if that's what you did, it's pointless.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.10.2006, 21:27 Uhr

Version 3.11.0: added new option in Miscellaneous Tweaks to get rid of all mozilla gtk file handlers and replace them with the default one which I think is included in Mozilla, but I can't say for sure, all I know is you won't see that vile gtk thing after running this fix.

This will also run automatically if you run the h2-favorites by the way.

This function will search your system, edit all the required files for firefox/iceweasel/thunderbird/icedove. Currently no mozilla or seamonkey support, if you want that, give me the directory names in /usr/lib/<product name>/ and /home/<username>/.<product name or path>/

Speaking only for myself, there is little in linux that I dislike, possibly even despise, more than the gtk file handler dialogue box, so this tweak makes me far happier than most I've created.

wh7qq
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 06:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jul 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::

Speaking only for myself, there is little in linux that I dislike, possibly even despise, more than the gtk file handler dialogue box, so this tweak makes me far happier than most I've created.

h2,

If you are refering to that useless box that comes up when you try to select a different place to save a download, bless you. It doesn't let you see or access hidden files or directories...it is a piece of garbage (#@$!!! deleted). I'll do a fresh du-fixes-h2.sh tonight just to get rid of that (did it yesterday).

Paul

Later: Aaahhh! What a relief it is! Nice addition to the script.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.10.2006, 10:21 Uhr

Zitat:
If you are refering to that useless box that comes up when you try to select a different place to save a download

Yes, that's the one, I like your description better than mine though, it's more accurate. Calling the default gtk thing a file handler dialogue box is definitely a misuse of the terms. So from now on I'll just call it what it is, that useless box that comes up.

But craigevil is the one who dug up this method by the way, I'd been looking for months but he found the hack on some other forum and posted it here, so thanks to craigevil, forgot to mention that. Figuring out how to fully automate the fix for all mozilla products was entertaining though.

By the way, the new file name text box that appears lets you type in the path, without that ridiculously non-functional auto complete that just gets in your way with the 'other thing'. And if you want to change download mimetype handlers, you get the same new file picker box to select the program, so it seems to get rid of most of the gtk useless boxes completely.

My suspicion is that you will need to run this fix for every new mozilla product that is upgraded or installed, so I'd just run it every time you see new stuff come in during the upgrade, like iceweasel, icedove new versions, etc. Running it multiple times won't hurt anything.

goatgirl
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.10.2006, 01:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jun 2005
Hi h2,

Just to say thanks. Your script has helped me do my first proper dist-upgrade, and sorted out a few problems along the way Sehr glücklich

GG

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.10.2006, 10:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

The only problem with that approach (which is known for a long time) is that it messes around in /usr/lib/, which is under dpkg's control and must not be messed with - yes, it works - yes, it shouldn't affect anything - it gets reverted on each FireFox(TM) upgrade --> it's a hack, not a solution.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.10.2006, 11:01 Uhr

Yes, but unfortunately the solution involves getting the guys who program firefox to stop forcing us to use gtk file dialogues, and to start using the user default system file handlers, like they do in windows and I assume os x. And/or getting the gnome guys to implement a modern, full featured, grown up file dialogue. Since neither appears likely to happen in the near future, I'll take the hack over having to try to use that other thing, which I simply cannot get used to because it gets in my way every time I use it. I'll happily rerun it each time mozilla stuff upgrades, anything is better than that other thing.

What's really annoying is to know that all along a fully functional, albeit sparse, file handler was sitting there, available and ready to be used.

While I have every confidence that the gtk stuff will abandon this silly approach as the guys grow up and start actually seeing what their stuff really does instead of what they would like to believe it does, I can't use that thing any more, I will never miss seeing it, to me it's downright embarrassing, the thing is childish, clunky, horrible default actions, inefficient, etc...

While this hack may have been known among some, I've never seen it, and I've looked and read more than enough on this topic for my taste, I'm glad craigevil found it and posted it. Definitely in the category of simple once you know it, but basically impossible to figure out if you don't.

As hacks go, this one is pretty pleasant, almost identical to another one I found that fixed another pretty major ff useability issue re mime type handlers.

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: ..doesnt work for me  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.10.2006, 12:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

The whole situation is really a pity, yes - and whoever designed/ chose that damned piece of crap should be forced to use it for all eternity.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.